PDA

View Full Version : Painting over flo coat

imported_QCR
21-06-2008, 03:02 PM
I have re done the flo coat on the interior of my Hooker and it was mixed up in the wrong colour by the supplier (it looks like pale pink) but I had to use it, I would now like to paint it and then apply a fleck finish.
Would anyone know what sort of paint to use, it would be good if it could be brushed or rolled as the flo coat finish is not that great and the fleck will hide a lot.
Thanks
Terry

Blackened
21-06-2008, 03:09 PM
G'day

You should not re paint it, re flo coat it

Coarse sand the old stuff and roll on some flo coat of the correct color. Follow with fleck of your choice.

Dave

tim2
21-06-2008, 08:00 PM
Any chance of seeing a few photos?
Would love to see some recent flow coat jobs, and hear your do's and dont's
Good luck with the colour change.

tim2
21-06-2008, 08:15 PM
Any chance of seeing a few photos?
Would love to see some recent flow coat jobs, and hear your do's and dont's
Good luck with the colour change.

BM
21-06-2008, 09:24 PM
As mentioned re flowcoat it.

In order to sand it you will need to give the surface a good acetone wipe down to remove as much of the wax (which is what makes the gelcoat become flowcoat) as possible. Then sand it back a tad (paper will still clog like mad) and then re flowcoat.

Cheers

imported_QCR
22-06-2008, 08:15 AM
Thanks for all your replies, I somehow thought you were going to say re-flocoat and I guess I was hoping for some method that was easier, so re - flocoat it will be.
Tim2, there is nothing to show you that would be picked up in a photo.
I bought a brushable flo coat preped the inside using the methods described here and started by mixing about 250ml at a time until I figured out the dry time. I then started at the front deck around the anchor well as this was a small area and painted this and so figured out how far the quantity would go. Beyond this I sectioned the rest of the area into manageable pieces like between the ribs and areas of the floor etc and just kept going. I would suggest this way of doing this for anyone new at brushing as it all remains manageable, I have had 40 years as a signwriter so brushing is something that I have had a lot of time at and you need to work quite fast. I might add that you need to keeps a containg of GP thinners handy to stand the brush in between mixes and I used brushes that I got from Super Cheap the ones where you get a pack of 6 for about $10. You asked about the donts well the flecking was one of these, I am not in a position to cut loose with a spray gun in my back yard so after some research a sign material supplier of mine suggested that I fleck it with a product called aqualflex (you spray it but at very low pressure and no overspray) a water based product they advertise as suitable for boats utes Horse floats etc. with my experience the alarm bell should have been ringiing by now but thet didnt. I did all the prep advised and applied the product, all went well it looked great, it was give the curing time and away I went using the boat, All was well for a few weeks however after one trip I filled the fuel tank on the way home, and on getting to my home wound up the jockey wheel ,washed the boat and left it tilted up. After sitting in the sun the fuel expanded and ran out the overflo onto the floor and the waterbased fleck melted over an area of about a m2 and ran out the rear drain hole flecking the lawn it looked magnifecent, the lawn that is.

I then got into the boat cleaned up the spill and with a bottle of turps whipped the fleck of the whole of the rest of the boat and this was no harder than polishing the car. Lesson learnt dont use water based fleck.

Hope this was of interest for all new players

Terry

tim2
22-06-2008, 09:00 AM
Thanks Terry,
Interesting to hear. Good luck this time.