PDA

View Full Version : Modification to the deck winch set up for a 23' Shark Cat

Fatenhappy
21-06-2008, 01:20 PM
I know there are other threads similar to this but I didn't want to take them off on my tangent.

Our shark cat Fatenhappy's refit and reno is progressing but a little slower than I had originally hoped. The original deck style anchor winch set up has been removed in preparation for the rework of the anchor well area and refit of an alternate helm controlled set up.

I have had a close look at most styles of winch for possible fitment and although a lot larger favor the drum style if possible.

Although a good product and wanting to support Australian made, at a quoted price of around the $3000 mark delivered, I think the South Australian manufactured item I looked at is a bit outside my realms of reality.

If anyones done a similar mod/rework for a helm controlled anchor setup particularly to a shark cat/ power cat etc I would be greatful for your input.

Cheers
Greg

Dino the
22-06-2008, 11:23 AM
Hello there

Just searched 23 ft shark cat and saw your post. sorry cant help with info but thought might ask for your input seeming you have one.
I am looking to buy a 23 ft shark cat 94 model twin 98 200 Mariners 400hrs
trailer average boat in survey and in excellent condition.
Looking at paying 50 k
Do you know of any others for sale and is that about on the $?

Cheers

Fatenhappy
23-06-2008, 05:17 PM
Hey Dino ....

Whats the layout for the cat itself ... what else is included with the sale etc etc

Re any others about, flash a PM off to Pete (Grand_Marlin) .... he also likes his cats, but he's in the business and generally has his finger on the pulse re any other availabilities etc

Cheers
Greg

hino310
24-06-2008, 08:31 PM
Greg, PM me your e-mail address and i will send you a photo of a stress free drum winch fitted to my old mans sharkcat,which he says works awsome.

regards.

Fish Guts
25-06-2008, 09:21 PM
Greg,

Are you talking the drums as in capstan type or the big wind on drum ones ect. we had a capstan drum style winch on our cat and really got the shits with it having to be up there all the time feeding off the rope. changed to a muir and never looked back. a heap safer from in the cab when it turns ordinary. also a bit cheaper than the quoted SA one you mentioned.

Hows the powerplant options going ?

cheers

fish guts

Fatenhappy
28-06-2008, 11:57 AM
Thanks fish guts ...

Na ... the big drum style is the one that I was quoted on from SA.

Traditionally we run Muirs ... never missed a beat. Its just that the large drum style holds the entire contents of the chain and so would have been better from that perspective .... that was until I got the quote ... and now a few of the negative comments

Having looked at all aspects of this there is still enough room below in the anchor well for at least 50/80 metres of chain in any case.

Since the anchor locker head will be modified in any case there isn't any reason why the unit couldn't and or shouldn't be slightly raised to make things even simpler. I want it to be functional without looking like a bloody dinosur if you get my drift.

Re the repower .... Unfortunately there was a recent family berievement in Sydney that derailed my train of thought re the repower/make over for quite a while but everythings back on track now.

We are going with the Yanmar 260 BY turbo diesel set up, with the leg being delivered in about the middle of July .... still with heaps to do between now and then

Cheers
Greg

hino310
29-06-2008, 09:26 PM
Greg
images sent .

coljac
07-07-2008, 06:36 PM
Greg,
I havent got any ideas re the winch but i am interested in the repower. I also have a 23 sharkcat in a flybridge configuration, powered by a single 165 volvo. Can i ask what motor yours had in it prior to the change? Also what sought of dollars the repower will cost.

Cheers
Jason

Fatenhappy
07-07-2008, 08:54 PM
Hey Jason ...

The news is not good .... 1st part of the question ... an AQAD40B Volvo Penta 165HP TD .... same as what you have ....

The second part of the equation ..... better sit down for this one .... just under 42K including a new Bravo 3 extended leg

Cheers
GS