PDA

View Full Version : Nice feed off Sunny Coast - with bonus mackerel

Jono_SS
21-06-2008, 06:54 AM
Finally got to take advantage of predicted perfect weather with an offshore fishing session Friday morning. light westerly, turned south west, then died completely. Wind equalled current for most of the morning.

Headed out through the bar before sunlight, with the massive moon at our backs lighting the way. Unfortunately, the sounder decided it was too cold, or bumpy or something, and refused to tell us how deep the water was for the whole day. So, all thoughts of finding new ground went out the window. No worries, stick to the known spots.

We caught plenty of just undersized squire, plus lots of other interesting throwbacks - we lost count of the species.

Ended up with a respectable catch for our efforts under the circumstances - squire, grassy, tuskfish and a school mackerel;D . Plus a lovely glassy return to the ramp just after midday.

ILikeBlu
21-06-2008, 08:32 AM
Nice m8 :) would have been magic out there.

I was pouring a slab wishing I was out there, and cursing the fact that the weekend will be a blow out.

hookinin
21-06-2008, 08:37 AM
Good effort without the sounder. It's hard to imagine going fishing without a sounder these days we get a bit spoiled i guess.
Cheers Gaven

Jono_SS
21-06-2008, 12:38 PM
too right hookinin.

It showed me the value of a sounder and gps for bottom fishing (when the birds aren't telling you where to fish) and for finding new ground (and then finding it again easily next time).

I'm not sure which I'd prefer not to have...maybe a good topic for a poll?

wadeo
21-06-2008, 02:13 PM
good effort buddy not easy without ya electronics.
regards wadeo

Spectre
21-06-2008, 05:00 PM
JoNo ...well done mate ....always good to come home with a feed.
Esp having no underwater eyes ...!!!

Was looking at Seabreeze al day.....at work ....Bugga !!!
Next time....

Cheers
Phil

Jono_SS
22-06-2008, 06:25 AM
Thanks Phil.

you really shouldn't torture yourself like that! (speaking from experience).

Jono.

skipalong
22-06-2008, 12:02 PM
nice work jono you almost got more mackerel there than i seen all season excellent

TimiBoy
22-06-2008, 12:36 PM
Nice work, given fishing the old fashioned way. Damn, what did folks do before sounders and GPS? Seems we just found out!

Cheers,

Tim

Jono_SS
22-06-2008, 04:24 PM
justin - still trying to work out if it's the first or last maccie for this season or next????
they're catching them up north at the moment, so this one was definitely on the slow boat to China.

PADDLES
22-06-2008, 07:34 PM
were you out at the 12 mile jono? i think we saw you out there, top weather wasn't it.

Jono_SS
23-06-2008, 05:25 PM
Paddles - we sure were - that was us bobbing around out there looking at a busted sounder wondering what was lurking beneath us.

which boat were you in?

PADDLES
24-06-2008, 07:57 AM
in the blue haines hunter runabout to the north of you. we started out up at murphy's and came down mid morning. we got some dinner as well, but only on paternosters under the boat, our floaters were completely untouched, bit wierd.

skipalong
24-06-2008, 02:57 PM
sure is a funny one still a good catch, hope the next is much better than last, going out thurs nite chasin snapper off mooloolaba been told there starting to come in the water should have cooled over the past few days, dad is off to fraser again for the school holidys, so he will be after some big ones we got some good marks this year

skipalong
24-06-2008, 07:43 PM
hey jono ss was just looking at the pic of the mack that is a good sized spotted isnt it?