whos looking at joining the military.
To many brands these days
needs to be a folding blade
no longer than 10cm.
Whats the best quailty for $
any advise would be great.

Jungle Jim
20-06-2008, 11:33 AM
i have a Kershaw folding model (i cant remeber the name) the handle is brushed stainless with drilled holes and i think the blade would be about 10cm.
japnese blade and manufacture
Cost approx $100. but would be heaps cheaper online
sharpens up beatufully.
nicely weighted just feels right..
a few people i ahve spoken to about kershaws seem to be really happy and loyal with them...

a good place to start woukld looking at their website

hope it helps..

Jim

Aunty Jack
20-06-2008, 11:52 AM
I'll see what i can find out on the KERSHAWS
Sounds Japanies
I've been looking at BUCK and SCHRADE & SMITH & WESSON
all madein the USA . on ebay

GBC
20-06-2008, 11:56 AM
I've had a leatherman 'wave' model for about ten years.

Keep the proof of purchase and it has a lifetime warranty.
As you wear out parts just drop it at any leatherman dealer, and a couple of weeks later it comes home all clean and rebuilt again.

This thing has had a hard life being used by a tradesman (of dubious quality) almost daily for things a small tool should not do.

The new ones are much lighter too.

Highly recommended by me.

Jungle Jim
20-06-2008, 12:07 PM
i also have a wave... mine hasn't had a hard life but has been good all the same...and its handy to throw in the tackle box for emergenices.

i would be asking staff in knife shop about various brands, where the blades are made and what grade steel etc,
the knife itself may be assembled as a finished product in one country but the blades and compoments made in another...assuming that is that it's country of origin is important to you.

Jim

flybloke
20-06-2008, 03:35 PM
Rob
I'm an amature knife maker and it sounds like you need professional help to get the right blade for your daughter.
Im not going to give that advice but will put you onto the foremost knife man in OZ, Kieth Spencer.
Go here http://www.knivesaustralia.com.au/knives.html and email him your question. He's a great bloke and will give you serious advice as to the military spec knives available.
He is a scribe for a number of magazines and I buy my steels and materials off him.
If you dont get a quality answer and deal , Id be suprised.
Let me know how you go and if I could help more.

Mick

Kleyny
20-06-2008, 04:43 PM
One word kershaw

i have one around that size and i have to tell ya i've abused it and i have only needed to sharpen it 3 times in the past 9 years.

neil

stingau
20-06-2008, 04:55 PM
Swampman, as a GRES Officer who also does a lotof work with the cadet corps as my Unit is a foster Unit your daughter will know what I mean the knife that is suitable for cadet use will not be suitable for military life. A good all round knife for cadets is the standard issue army knife. I have them everywher here in the boat car etc. They have 2 blades both of which will comply also a pick that while its intende use will not be required as i doubt she will be firing artillery pieces but is usefull for punching holes in cans or canvas. the whole thing is stainless steel. Depending on where you are if you have trouble sourcing one I may be able to assist

tunaticer
20-06-2008, 05:08 PM
I have been carrying a G96 folder for about 15 yrs now and will not part with it. By far the best blade I've ever come accross.
It's been swimming a thousand times in salt water and still looks like new.

Jack.

banshee
20-06-2008, 07:26 PM
I'll see what i can find out on the KERSHAWS
Sounds Japanies
I've been looking at BUCK and SCHRADE & SMITH & WESSON
all madein the USA . on ebay

I'd want to see the Bucks in the flesh as a fair percentage are now coming in from Asia (not that it's all bad as these asian ones are a bit better than what's normaly seen from there),likewise Schrade/Old Timer went belly up a few years back and all their product is sourced from China and I haven't seen a decent Smith and Wesson (China) but that's not to say there aren't any US ones about.
Have to agree with those that have the Kershaws as they are a nice blade as is Puma (Solengen steel and rockwell tested),further up the tree is Spiderco (sekki steel) and quite capable of opening cans,Leatherman also make a lock knife now that's quite good at under the hundred dollar mark.

flybloke
20-06-2008, 11:02 PM
what Banshee says is 100%
Steer clear of winchester(great guns thoe)
I have all of the above mentioned knives and all are good.
Rob , what do you want to give your daughter? A keep sake? How much do you want to spend? does she know what the present is and does she have some imput as to what is "The norm" for a utility folder (read not a sticker)
In my view, Pocket knives are for cutting rope/cloth and and peeling spuds and fruit and for eating with.
If I were to take a pocket knife on a bivwack , It would be my little Buck squire and a K-Bar Mule, drop piont/half serated, Its at war as we speak;)

catfishkid
21-06-2008, 11:03 AM
I had a leatherman juice until some lowlife relieved me of it when they broke into my car(along with a lot of other stuff),was a greta little knife,it was used daily for work etc.it also had plenty of other tools like pliers,scissors,screwdrivers the list goes on so it was really handy...my only complaint was the pouch it came in was crap and it would fall out of it.

Cheers Craig

BobbyJ123
21-06-2008, 11:53 AM
I'm looking to buy a good quality pocket knife
for my daughters birthday.who in the army cadets
whos looking at joining the military.
To many brands these days
needs to be a folding blade
no longer than 10cm.
Whats the best quailty for $
any advise would be great.

About the best you can get:

http://www.swissarmy.com/MultiTools/Pages/default.aspx?category=multitools&

Aunty Jack
21-06-2008, 02:54 PM
That one heck of a site just had a quick captain cook
and liked what i saw
i;ve added to my favorites
I,ll look propperly later
cheers

Aunty Jack
21-06-2008, 03:02 PM
Yer thanks she has the cadet knifex2
I think it would be a all rounder for everday life
as for the military side i think i,ll leave it to her

Aunty Jack
21-06-2008, 03:05 PM
thats great info
well done

Aunty Jack
21-06-2008, 03:10 PM
I hope the theiving barsteds slips up
and find the pointy end of that knife
wear the sun dont shine.

ctwaddle
23-06-2008, 05:18 PM
I have a leatherman folding knife that i purchased a fews years agoe it was round $150 but would have to say it still has its edge plus a handy carry hook to clip onto webbing and so on. Hope this helps

DR
24-06-2008, 09:26 AM
I also have a Leatherman which has had a hard life & survives beautifully, a bit bent, but nothing much stops it. A great tool...

maybe something here.. http://www.sogknives.com/store/index.html

kevvie
25-06-2008, 11:11 AM
I want to start by highlighting my sponsorship with Leatherman....don't want you'se to think i support them purley cause they support me...

But the fact is i have been a long time user of this products b4 they ever gave me any gear. I have had various pocket knifes and multi-tools over the years but the Leatherman range is light years ahead of the comp.

The steels used are of a high calibre and the warranty is best-in-market. Simply send back and they will fix for free, user error or not.

Also Spyderco, imported by the same co, have great pocket knives too. The new issue is made of H3 steel, which is corrosion resistant, garunteed not to rust submerged in salt water for 25 years or something...pretty impressive.

spears
25-06-2008, 11:38 AM
Keep in mind ..depends where u are..here if caught with a knife it can be seen as a weapon and you could be charged and lose it..

Aunty Jack
29-06-2008, 01:05 PM
yer coppy that

flybloke
29-06-2008, 04:15 PM
Have you settled on anything?

metaloid
29-06-2008, 04:24 PM
have a Puma hunting pocket-knife that could cut through stone, the blade is that good! The reason I mention it though is because that knife has a two blades, one of which is like a saw and believe me if you need to cut a branch or even a thick rope, a non serrated blade is next to useless!

Now having said that, my knife is a bit on the heavy side so I wouldn't really recommend it for a girl, but whilst looking up Puma knives, I came across this which might be of interest for your daughter:http://www.pumaknives.com/?n=store&b=38&pl=334&p=896

Tetsuo
30-06-2008, 09:14 PM
I have a Leatherman Wave and Surge (the surge is the waves big brother). I am very happy with both of them as a multi tool. I also have a spyderco which I am very fond of, it is slim and fits well in a pocket.

If you are looking for value for money, check out the Victorinox multitool. It is cheaper than leatherman but is a bit more solid than the wave (better pliers).

FYI, and correct me if I am wrong anyone, there used to be two companies manufacturing swiss army knives. The better of the two was Wenger and the Victorinox had more tools for the dollar. Since then, Victorinox has bought Wenger and is now the sole producer so you get the best of both worlds. Check out a new Victorinox knife and it will have the Wenger symbol on the main blade ( a small umberella). At least they used to....

flybloke
30-06-2008, 09:26 PM
Wow , $99 US for a Puma military is a steel (PUN) At 96c to the us dollar thats a very good knife for the bucks (Pun) even with the postage.
Metaloid do they send to Australia?