PDA

View Full Version : Off The Cape!

TimiBoy
20-06-2008, 10:25 AM
Wags On The Water, Timiboy and Rob The Leper (he's not an Ausfisher, so there must be something wrong with him) headed out under angry skies to try their luck at some jigging offshore, Thursday. Moreton Bay was like a pancake, and the South Passage Bar was similar. Magic conditions, but the prospect of rain.

The mood aboard was sombre, knowing that this day hearts would be broken, shoulders would be smashed, and backs would be reduced to quivering messes of jelly. While all aboard were outwardly positive, the was an air of trepidation.

What will happen? Will we catch anything? Will it rain? Have we enough fuel? Does your chewing gum lose it's flavour on the bedpost over night? The answer to these, and many other mysteries, will be forthcoming. Read on, fellow fishing nut...

So, after picking up some livies close in, we shopped around for a while, and found a bit of a show. Over went the jigs, and the atmosphere was frantic. For about two minutes! Timiboy spat the chewy (no flavour, but it had NOT been on the bedpost overnight), and said - gripping his recently operated upon shoulder - "&^*$% this, I'm going to bottom bash" Rob wasn't too far behind, but just as all was beginning to quieten, Wags was on! He then proceeded to disobey boat rules - and hit the damned thing too hard! See a photo of his 100lb swivel below. Boat rule is feed it a bit while we clean up, and we'll go after him. We want to catch that damned sub, 'cause the Military just don't seem to care. Never mind...

Anyway, soon after, TB hauls up a nice Pearly. That whets the appetites a bit, and soon the paternosters and floating rigs are tumbling down, with the assistance of vast quantities of lead. And the fish are coming up, too (except poor old Wags, he couldn't catch a cold at first).

As the afternoon wore on, Wags did manage to catch a couple of things. My line twice, and Rob's once. What a mess! Poor old Wags was just not having a good day, but as the Skipper (me) was starting to look at his watch and gaze at the rapidly sinking Sun, Wags got on, and in fairly quick succession he managed to bring in two very nice Snapper, see photos - that's Wags with the hat and the Snapper.

I landed a very nice brace o' Pearlies (that's a double header to all the Neanderthals out there;D;D;D), and a pb Pearlie at 60cm, plus my pb Snapper at 60. Rob nabbed that 70 cm Pearlie in the pic, what a beast!

So all in all, as we dragged ourselves back over the bar at 5:30 pm, we'd had a ripper of a day. Many caught (many released too), enough coming home for a few feeds, and a completely exhausted crew.

It didn't rain, and we ONLY had 180 litres of fuel left (Wags was worried, made me jam the boat full of the stuff, we used about 120 litres) AND if you stick your chewy on the bedpost for safe keeping, I doubt you really worry about the flavour!

Until next time, Cheers,

Tim

wags on the water
20-06-2008, 10:52 AM
After the last trip with the low fuel warning alarm coming on kms from home :-/ , I though we needed more fuel. ;) YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MUCH FUEL TIM....;D ;D ;D

Another sledging competition over (I'm sure I won) - is there anything now that does frown on sledging???? It's part of the game so get used to it.:-X

Rob is one of my workmates and is in town for a few days (he's not a leper), and always keen for a fish. As far as me catching Tims line......well I told him not to drop his line as it was not in his best interest....but he just had to go and do it.>:( Rob's fish just circled on the way up and he tangled with me....;D ;D

Anyway I must finally be tying my knots right as my knots didn't let go this time. The setup was a Saltist STT40H spooled with 50lb braid with 60lb leader, attached was a lumo knife jig and..a freight train. I did however manage to slow it up a few times and regain some line but to no avail. I was devastated and hurting. My shoulder is still sore.:'(
We left the fish biting as we had enough for a feed. There's no need to bag out when you have a good feed.

Big thanks to a fellow Ausfisher for supplying the general area mark and well done to the skipper (again) for puting us on the fish.

Tim.....I need to break this addiction (fishing)....so no more OK!

Are we going next week?????

Cheers,
Wags

One more thing....must thank the photographer..:P

Spectre
20-06-2008, 11:14 AM
Well done lads ...some nice SnappA & fat Pearlies in that catch :o
Gotta be happy with that...great conditions & a feed to boot.

Did u have any trouble tracking down livies at the Bait grounds ??
After a few recent visits there ...they have been very scattered & too much time spent putting a few in the tank ::)

Cheers
Phil

wags on the water
20-06-2008, 11:22 AM
Phil,
The baitfish were abundant at the moreton grounds a few kms from the bar. We got slimies, yakkas and pillies. The pillies were only a few meters from the surface and the slimies,yakkas bit further down. You should't have any problems. The terns working in the area are a dead giveaway.

Cheers,
Wags

Mtx
20-06-2008, 11:41 AM
Thanks Fellas, great read and looks like you had a good day.

again was hoping to get outside this weekend but weather is looking crap!

Spectre
20-06-2008, 12:26 PM
Thanks Waqs...good stuff.....sounds like they are back in good numbers then. !!!
The pillies would have been an extra bonus.
Should have been out there today .....!!!

Cheers
Phil

wags on the water
20-06-2008, 12:56 PM
We would've stayed out, but all 3 of us had plans today.

TimiBoy
20-06-2008, 01:30 PM
I didn't have plans, I just knew how bloody tired I was going to be!!!

Tim

wags on the water
20-06-2008, 02:31 PM
I didn't have plans, I just know I am SOFT.

Tim

It looks like I didn't hear the conversation correctly readers.

TimiBoy
20-06-2008, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimiBoy http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?p=845008#post845008)

Tim

It looks like I didn't hear the conversation correctly readers.

I'm calling the Fraud Squad. I have been grievously misquoted!!!

Mtx
20-06-2008, 03:19 PM
or maybe just spell checked?

jez and suze
20-06-2008, 05:27 PM
looks like a good day fellas.......nice colour on the squire wags

mowerman
20-06-2008, 05:42 PM
Im not saying anything.

Customer goodwill.

Rod

TimiBoy
20-06-2008, 06:17 PM
Cheers Mate, nice to have someone on my side.

Might have to take you fishing, huh?

bluefin59
20-06-2008, 06:21 PM
Great looking haul of fish guys and a bit of competitive banter as well makes for a great day with mates thats for sure thanks for sharing guys ...matt

wags on the water
20-06-2008, 06:22 PM
[quote=TimiBoy;845037]Quote:
Originally Posted by TimiBoy http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?p=845008#post845008)

Tim

And the sledging continues................::) ::) ::)

skipalong
20-06-2008, 06:35 PM
good fish mate

TimiBoy
20-06-2008, 06:52 PM
It is sad to note that Wags on the Water will no longer be seen on these forums.

From now on he will be known either as "Squid Boy", or "Tangles".

I always thought he was a bastard, but now I know for sure!!!:P:P:P

ROFLMAO

Tim

Skusto
20-06-2008, 07:07 PM
looks like it was a good trip for you guys good to see your snappers are slowly getting better tim. bout the same pb as me still trying to find the elusive 8 - 9 kg snaps. hopefully next time!

TimiBoy
20-06-2008, 07:23 PM
I learned something major yesterday. I caught some good fish yesterday, but the greats come from persistently, and I mean persistently, floating baits down. Squid Boy caught quality, not quantity! Snapper wise that was, I creamed him on the Pearlies!

Interesting that is was about the 407th time I have learn't that lesson. Learn to float baits and the 9kg fish will beat a path to your door...

Cheers,

Tim

hookinin
20-06-2008, 07:29 PM
Looks like you guys had a good day and a fun raed
Cheers Gaven

DEANO68
20-06-2008, 07:41 PM
good report timi,lookin forward to seeing some of those big pearlies this winter ,havent seen any yet..and havent been round the cape for a while either .might try n get down that way this season..

DEANO68
20-06-2008, 07:43 PM
I learned something major yesterday. I caught some good fish yesterday, but the greats come from persistently, and I mean persistently, floating baits down. Squid Boy caught quality, not quantity! Snapper wise that was, I creamed him on the Pearlies!

Interesting that is was about the 407th time I have learn't that lesson. Learn to float baits and the 9kg fish will beat a path to your door...

Cheers,

Tim
any weight at all on the floaters timmi.????

TimiBoy
20-06-2008, 07:51 PM
any weight at all on the floaters timmi.????

The Pearlies will come on the paternoster easy enough, I suspect.

Floater wise, yes, weight is needed. What I've learn't is you need enough weight above the bait to keep your line at about 45 degrees. Otherwise it's sinking too fast or not fast enough. So it's a matter of letting one go, seeing how it sinks, and adjusting the weight. Pain in the a$$ changing weight all the time, but worth it. Proof's in the puddin', and I've watched Squid Boy and Bowser eat heaps of puddin'!!!

Cheers,

Tim

DEANO68
20-06-2008, 08:06 PM
The Pearlies will come on the paternoster easy enough, I suspect.

Floater wise, yes, weight is needed. What I've learn't is you need enough weight above the bait to keep your line at about 45 degrees. Otherwise it's sinking too fast or not fast enough. So it's a matter of letting one go, seeing how it sinks, and adjusting the weight. Pain in the a$$ changing weight all the time, but worth it. Proof's in the puddin', and I've watched Squid Boy and Bowser eat heaps of puddin'!!!

Cheers,

Tim
Cheers timmi, thought about the same .bit more current bit more weight, but not to much...

Skusto
20-06-2008, 08:31 PM

Cheers,

Tim

yeah mate thats all our rigs are all floaters only way to go out on those deep reefs we reckon used to use the droppers but since changing rigs the quality of snapper change alot. only thing there good for is the good old wrecks to get down there as quick as possible as u dont have that long till u move away from it. and your right with weight although ususally out at DT u only need a size 10 sinker. u know when your to heavy breaking 50 pound braid aint all that fun. altho i must say it could be used as an anchor untill the hooks bend. :P

captain rednut
20-06-2008, 09:02 PM
hey timiboy
well done im not going to pick on you whilst you enjoy your fishing
thanks jim

Cheech
20-06-2008, 10:05 PM
Cheers Mate, nice to have someone on my side.

Might have to take you fishing, huh?

LOL. Actually, I did not read that he was on your side, just that he was not saying anything. Bit like I tell the kids, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything. LOL. In hysterics reading this thread and writing this post. WOTW you are a legend.

TB, interesting to see that you are progressively moving up the percentage scale. Looks like you are definitely on the can do side now. All the power to you as you are putting in the work, so great you are getting the rewards.

Looking forward to the next episode.

mowerman
20-06-2008, 10:38 PM
Ive figured out I will have to allow an extra hour at your place Tim.

After the lawn and garden it will be boats motors rigs knots spots motors rigs boats.....

All good

Rod

wags on the water
21-06-2008, 10:17 AM
Fellow AF's, what Tim failed to mention was that he actually fished better under pressure (aka sledging).
Thanks Wags......No problem Tim.;D Anytime Tim.;D ;D

wadeo
21-06-2008, 02:17 PM
excellent report boys and a top read. Sounds like you guys had an awesome trip.
regards wadeo