PDA

View Full Version : They've Locked us out and now they're going to bend us over....plans for the GBR...

Scott nthQld
20-06-2008, 09:18 AM
Read this article on the Townsville bulletin website yesterday, don't know if its been posted before.

The gist of it is, after the Qld State Labor/"greens' government locked us out of 33% of the GBR, the Federal Labor/"greens" Governement are now looking into the GBR off Rocky/Gladstone to be a 'storage facility' for Carbon dioxide produced in heavy industry. From what I understand, the gas will be collected and 'pumped' under the reef to store the gas and let it slowly escape or something like that anyway.

A bit hypocritical of them, first they lock us out for the reefs 'protection' and now they want to destroy the reef by sweeping the carbon dioxide 'problem' under the rug so to speak.

The only reason that Peter Lindsay has for opposing this practice is a political one, he's kept his nose out of all the other goings on. Article can be found here:

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/article/2008/06/19/14051_hpnews.html

RFARREN
20-06-2008, 11:35 AM
mate if this goes ahead it will be the end of labour
labour just trying to get browny points with greenhouse gas emmisions on the world stage
they obviously have no brains.
MAN I HATE POLLIES!

Mike Delisser
20-06-2008, 08:39 PM
Don't get too upset, obvious scare mongering. The legislation is linking the underground storage of greenhouse gases with oil exploration and licences and fees ect, no mention of GBR. The only person mentioning the GBR is Peter Lindsay (Lib MP) to his local paper.
The legislation debated before this was about tightning up some enviromental laws on the GBR, I would suggest that Peter Lindsay nodded off to sleep during it then woke up latter during the greenhouse gas storage debate and got the two confused.
Link to hansard below, GBR on page 3, Greenhouse Storage on page 6
http://www.aph.gov.au/Hansard/reps/dailys/dr180608.pdf
WARNING do not attempt to read if trying to stay awake.
Mike

Scott nthQld
20-06-2008, 09:37 PM
I suspected that may have been the case, Lindsay isn't much good for anything other than trying to big note himself. Still, if one pollie is thinking lke that its a pretty safe bet a few other will be.