PDA

View Full Version : Rain ! Does It Stop You Fishing ???

1lastcast
20-06-2008, 08:46 AM
Hi all i had a trip planned wednesday night and around lunch time it started raining and it was showering all afternoon and into the night :-/ .

I said to myself bugger it im going anyway so my mate and i headed out into the bay at 6.00pm .

I am glad i made that decision within minutes of pulling up at spot x we had a 55cm snapper slapping around on the deck we got 5 snapper to 60cm and 2 bream wich were bruisers in 2 hours then headed home ;D .

My question is does the rain put a stop to your fishing trips or are you so dedicated that you are like me and dont really care wind is one thing that will stop me but i have had some of my best trips when it has been raining .

What about you ????????????

REGARDS MONOSTRETCHO

zigfreed
20-06-2008, 09:06 AM
I reckon those days of drizzle or light rain and no wind are the best days to go.
Fish seem to chew up and there is heaps less traffic on the water.

Mick

wags on the water
20-06-2008, 10:22 AM
The rain doesn't bother that much except when it's accompanied with lightning.

bushbeachboy
20-06-2008, 10:29 AM
That low barometric pressure seems to bring the fish on.

Cammy
20-06-2008, 10:52 AM
well the rain stopped me on wed afternoon, i was planning to go and have a fish in some of the rivers, but ther person that was taking me thought it would be a waste of time:( so i didnt end up going.

Cammo

Little grey men
20-06-2008, 11:11 AM
If I'm fishing by myself, the rain won't stop me ( light rain that is...a heavy downpour will keep me inside ) I usually fish with my young bloke so naturally I don't take him out into the wet. We get caught in the rain quite a bit while fishing at Lake Samsonvale and he gets a huge kick out of it. He's well equiped with a good long rain coat to keep him dry but I always have to tell him three or four times to put it on. We fish about a half hour from our car so it's hardly worth packing up and heading off, because by the time we got fifty metres up the track we'd be soaked anyway.
Freshwater fish don't seem to mind the rain at all, perhaps the noise of the rain hitting the surface peaks their interest but I always seem to do OK in the wet. It's just a pain holding onto the slippery wet handles of a little baitcaster when a big angry bass is trying to dislocate your wrists.

I hope it doesn't rain this weekend :-/

darylive
20-06-2008, 01:16 PM
Well there is always something. I think a big boat is fine but sitting in a tinny in a downpour watching it fill up is no fun. I have had to use the bilge pump before today.

This weekend looks like a cracka! Of course my patrol is still in the work shop so I can't tow the boat.

I have no doubt the weather and fishing Gods are not on my side. ;{

revs57
20-06-2008, 01:59 PM
No!!!!;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d

TheRealAndy
20-06-2008, 02:17 PM
If you own a polycraft you get wet rain or no rain;D;D Bought myself a shit hot 3/4 length burke wet weather jacket now I stay nice and dry. Well worth the $130, now nothing stops me going out except for big winds/seas.8-)

Mtx
20-06-2008, 02:40 PM
getting wet in a wheely bin. Who would have thought?

Poodroo
20-06-2008, 05:45 PM
The rain bothers me not. Wind annoys the crap out of me however. :-X

Poodroo

Skusto
20-06-2008, 05:49 PM
yeah dont bother any more if its predicted for isolated showers then yeah but not if it will be drizzling for most of the day.

MeePee_99
20-06-2008, 06:28 PM
Rain doesnt bother me, thats is unless it is pouring and doesnt look like stopping for hours (how many times does that happen). Any other time is fine!!!!

Pelagic 660
20-06-2008, 07:39 PM
Hasn't stopped me yet, bonus is the ramp is never that busy. Drizzle does seem to improve catch rate.
Cheers Trevor

Cammy
20-06-2008, 07:59 PM
Well the rain didnt bother me and loophole today, nice size fish around when its drissling. I caught the fish in my avatar today.

Cammo

Xahn1960
20-06-2008, 08:30 PM
Rain has never bothered me, except when its heavy enough to close the roads :)

Scott nthQld
20-06-2008, 10:05 PM
I like fishing in the rain. We usually only get rain in the summer, and when it's not too heavy (as in, not heavy enough to fill the boat before the bilge can empty it) I enjoy it, keeps me cooled off in the summer time, and when you unable to jump overboard for a quick dip (due to crocs, and stingers) you really appreciate every bit of relief from the heat you get.

TheRealAndy
20-06-2008, 10:47 PM
getting wet in a wheely bin. Who would have thought?

I was actually thinking about naming my boat wheely bin;D;D;D

baitmaster
21-06-2008, 02:31 PM
i find that the fish bite better on these kinds of days
yes its uncomfortible but its worth it they dont seem 2 be as shutdown

aussiefool
22-06-2008, 06:42 AM
Gee's I must be getting old or soft...... If it's raining I'll pull the pin. Just hate getting wet. Hang on I'll blame my fishing buddy he doesn't have a rain coat .. yes that's it .

ronnien
23-06-2008, 01:47 PM
sometimes it does, in the middle of winter i stay home as i dont wont to go to hospital with asthma.

ron.

skipalong
23-06-2008, 03:39 PM
not a chance but it sends the fish down

Fishbait
23-06-2008, 07:46 PM
If I've made the journey - I'm there to stay.

bballfisho
23-06-2008, 10:13 PM
caught a 5kg thready in the pouring rain last week and it was bloody cold (in a t-shirt and no cover but worth it for sure

LeeannP
24-06-2008, 09:39 AM
Rain + Wind + Winter = No thank you :)

preso
24-06-2008, 11:40 AM
I love the rain. It's a lot quieter on the water. The cold gets to me more.
And it's been cold lately. But will drink some staight cement and have a crack Thursday.;)

nuggstar
24-06-2008, 01:13 PM
i fish in cyclones hehe ya think rain is going to stop me?............... no

kevvie
25-06-2008, 09:07 AM
Rain has never stopped me..but i used to invariably get sick when i fished in the old PVC yellow raincoats...

Last boatshow i invested in some Musto bib'n'brace (deadliest catch style) offshore racer gear with matching jacket and havent felt the cold or rain since. This stuff is absolutely fab and recommend it to any adventurous fisho who likes to brave the conditions.

The only drawback is the price, about $600 bux for the outfit (boatshow special).... but you get what you pay for.