PDA

View Full Version : What does "Built to Survey" mean?

Adivad
19-06-2008, 03:51 PM
Could someone explain the difference between a standard boat and one that is "Built to survey". I am assuming that it is made to a higher standard, but would like to know the differences. If I'm assuming wrongly, maybe someone could set me straight.

Thanks,

Dave

Scott nthQld
19-06-2008, 04:02 PM
its a boat that is built to operate in a commercial climate and built to survey is to a higher standard than most (if not all) recreational boats.

Extra's will include but not limited to inbuilt floatation, extra hull thickness(?), heavier duty transom(?). All basically to not only prolong the life of the vessel, but to make it as safe as possible for comercial operators whether a charter opertator of pro fishing.

I don't know much about it all and have a verylimited understanding of it, but there are plenty of others here that can help.

boatboy50
19-06-2008, 05:01 PM
Hey,

Scott is right.

Mainly built to a higher standard, and includes upgrades over a standard boat to protect the occupants in the worst case scenario.

Also includes foam flotation and lots of other things.

The level of build depends on the survey and the boats size.

Regards

Darren

bobbyb
19-06-2008, 05:18 PM
hi
my understanding is that the boat would be built to a standed and inspected at every stage of construction and signed of by a ortherised inspector. as*#***
cheers.........

Adivad
19-06-2008, 05:22 PM
That pretty much clarifies it. Thanks for the response

Dave

tunaticer
19-06-2008, 05:25 PM
You also have to maintain survey standards while it is registered as being in survey.
This entails checks regularly on the condition of the vessel in all aspects to comply with the regulations. On ageing timber and glass vessels it can go as far as core samples being drilled into the vessel's hull at regular intervals to check for deterioration. Quite a costly affair when you have to repair all the sample holes.

Jack.

builder
19-06-2008, 05:33 PM
it all dependson boat size
under 6.0m to be in queensland survey requires
positive floatation,using fuel resistant closed cell foam like microlen
and a swamp test carried out and certificate issued by a marine surveyer
common uses, charter hire and drive,hire boats and comercial vessels
over 6m its a whole new ball game have to consult marine surveyer in your state to find out all the requirements as all serveyers differ state to state

cbs
19-06-2008, 06:17 PM
In queensland, below 6m measured length builder pretty much covers it. Above 6m is a much more complex affair with compliance certificates required to be issued for design (plan approval by naval architect for hull/structure/engineering and arrangement etc etc), build (surveyor inspections), electrical (plan approval and survey of), safety equipment (surveyor) and stability (naval architect). Essentially the entire boat gets look at and designed to an approved code such as USL etc.

For a less than 6m boat, the "built to survey" label is almost meaningless since almost any standard boat can be made to meet without too much hastle.

For >6m, I believe that the "Built to survey standard" label that gets bandied about by some builders is not worth anything and should be dismissed immediately unless there drawings and documentation to prove it. There are some builders out there that will go down the survey path for hull only with certification in which case they will have the appropriate documentation that the hull is "built to survey".

I have seen quite a few boats where the builder claimed to me that they built to survey standard when it was quite obvious to the trained eye they were not. Unfortunately for the general public, it would be almost impossible to tell.

seatime
19-06-2008, 07:17 PM
Could someone explain the difference between a standard boat and one that is "Built to survey". I am assuming that it is made to a higher standard, but would like to know the differences. If I'm assuming wrongly, maybe someone could set me straight.

Thanks,

Dave

Hi Dave,

"built to survey" can have a wide range of meanings, firstly which 'survey' are they referring to?
As already stated by a learned member, survey compliance can depend on, e.g. the size of the vessel, it's intended usage and construction material , also which state it's to be registered in.
It's a proclamation that would need to be investigated if you're wanting to actually survey a particular vessel.
In the most basic form, a <6m 'built to survey' vessel may possess the required flotation ability to pass a swamp test, and/or have "level flotation" stamped on the Builders Plate in regard to the buoyancy requirements.
It's always best to ask questions of the builder, and contact a marine surveyor and the relevant govt dept in your state.

cheers
Steve

Outsider1
19-06-2008, 07:30 PM
You also need to be careful on how the particular boat is described. Built to Survey standards could mean very little, in Survey means a lot (including an individual survey report for 6m+).

The term "Built to Survey standards" seems to appear in a lot of advertising these days but does not necessarily mean much.

Cheers

Dave

BM
20-06-2008, 11:12 AM
Yep, in the recreational market its typically wank factor.

Its a bit like the new fashion thats come about of "an extra 100kg etc of glass" as a build option.....

hehe I guess it makes the buyer feel pretty special....... and unique......

Empties his pocket a bit more and raises his ego but doesn't really do anything actually beneficial to the boat.

Cheers