PDA

View Full Version : Not the Boyne Tannum Hook-up

grahams
19-06-2008, 10:20 AM
We headed offshore from Yeppoon the Saturday of the Boyne Tannum Hook-up, but weren't part of the event.
It was mainly a jigging trip, but did 2 hangs for a few reefies.
The jigging produced about 20 or 30 fish, mainly Amberjacks and Mack Tuna.
We tried a Nannygai spot, that produced about 15 good nanny's, so left them alone, then tried for Red Emperor, which are a bit tougher, but that worked too!. Left them biting after boating about 10 good reds. We also released a few big cod on drop lines, including losing the drop line!, but unfortunately one cod didn't revive and was kept.
Also managed a nice trout and Nanny on jigs.
Just one of those magic days

lethal098
19-06-2008, 12:05 PM
some nice fish there guys and weather looks bloody terrible. well done cheers lethal

maztez
19-06-2008, 02:45 PM
Maybe Team RSF should have headed your way instead of our Hookup trip .Although we managed to boat a few it was nothing like you guys achieved ..
Oh well theres always next time . Congrats on a bloody good haul .
cheers Terry

No Fear
19-06-2008, 04:18 PM
Hey mate...great catch....

I'm looking at heading up that way in the upcoming weeks... Can you please provide me with an approximate location where you were fishing and how far offshore you were???

I haven't fished offshore in that area so any tips would be awesome to land one of those beauties you did!!!

jtpython
19-06-2008, 04:27 PM
Nice work Granham i see some of the footage on the friday night report looked to be onto some good fish
I see your a sponser on the tightlines might catch up with yu there Jeff will be entering it so look forward to that
Cheers JT

grahams
20-06-2008, 03:19 PM
No Fear,
As a starter, if you grab a SUNMAP of our area and look for the small rises near or beyond the 50m contour. Often back up to say 40m. Most are banks that will have patches of low fern and some small rises with reef.
This country starts about 35Nm north east of Rosslyn Bay.and continues east and north.
The best stuff is little bits you find yourself. If its well known its normally flogged and this type of reef does not recover very quickly. The positive is there's lots and lots of country.
The spot I fished for reds is one I have fished 4 times in 7 years, gives you some idea of the recovery time needed.

cheers,
grahams