PDA

View Full Version : Daiwa Catalina...

Dan5
18-06-2008, 07:41 PM
Well i'd really like a Saltiga but the big price tag for something i may not use all that often put's me off so i've been swinging toward's the Catalina.

I want something fairly gutsy for black jew,gt's,mack's etc also considering a capricorn 4500 as an even cheaper option but dunno if it would be up to the job.

Also what medium priced rod will do the job? i think i'd like to go a t-curve 200,waddya reckon...

Roo
19-06-2008, 10:58 AM
sounds good to me. catalina is only mildly detuned from saltiga.

Ammo79
20-06-2008, 09:17 PM
hey mate,
I have a 4500 capricorn J and it is a top reel. Easily handled an almost 2M long spanish mack the other week. It fishes 9 kg of drag and it only cost me 289. Have caught a few different species with it now and it has yet to feel under gunned.

I too would love a catalina or the saltiga but at the moment the capricorn is fine.
Probably not as smooth but I am yet to try the saltiga so I don't know what I am missing!!! Might even buy two capricorns for less than a catalina

I have my capricorn mounted to a daiwa monster mesh rod and it is awesome. It is the lightest one in the monster mesh range. Super light and so strong. The more you load it up the better it feels.

Cheers
Brian

IanC71
21-06-2008, 08:21 AM
Hi Dan5,

Go for the Catalina......it is a top reel.

I have the Saltist 4500 which was superseded by the Catalina.......basically there was a cosmetic change and I think the Catalina has a sealed gearbox now.

I have mine on a TCurve 200 and loaded with 300mtrs of Jigman X PE4 (50lb) braid for jigging off Sydney for kings..........it is a light weight, but powerful combo and can handle some pretty big foe.

You won't be disappointed.

Cheers,

Ian