PDA

View Full Version : Horizon Angler v Sea Jay v The rest

Leighton
18-06-2008, 05:45 PM
Just looking for feed back on the Horizon Angler or The Sea Jay Magnum.
Looking mainly at second hand boats in the 4.2 - 4.6 m range.
I will toss in the Quintrex Reef, Hunter and Dory, Brooker Safari and also the Stacers into the mix
Pros and Cons on workmanship, ride ( dry or wet ) stability in some chop and overall likes and dislikes
Cheers Leighton

lifestyle
18-06-2008, 05:59 PM
I like the look of the seajaymagnium or the brooker seaman or safari. I have never riden in either but they look the goods. I Like the 3mm bottom and 2mm sides on the brookers Plus the extras you get. Have a look in the for sale section at the brooker safari.

Leighton
18-06-2008, 06:02 PM
I like the look of the seajaymagnium or the brooker seaman or safari. I have never riden in either but they look the goods. I Like the 3mm bottom and 2mm sides on the brookers Plus the extras you get. Have a look in the for sale section at the brooker safari.

Thanks mate, have had a look at that boat....very nice.
The Horizon also has 3mm Bottom and 2mm Sides and has higher sides

Tangles
18-06-2008, 07:23 PM
Quite a few guys have some Seajays on here, the magnums are a big tinnie, I have a Seajay 4.5 territory ( basically same hull) and for a tinnie very happy with the ride, also you couldnt go wrong with a Blue Fin as well. Id be happy with either, dont know about the Booker.

With the Seajay make sure you get 4.5 or more as you get the reverse chines

mike

ellykan
18-06-2008, 07:32 PM
i own and use quiet a bit a seajay 435 sp, nearly the same as a territory. it has moveable pedastal seats and side decks, the side deccks really do "stiffen" up the whole hull, great little boat with a forty for most bay applications and cheap to run, only down side is it is probably the wettest boat i have owned. had a kick arse 455 stacer mantaray with a fifty johnson before, it was built like a tank, great tinnie and fairly hard to get hold of a good one these days

SCOTTYGC
18-06-2008, 08:59 PM
i have a seajay magnum 5.35m tiller steer
i think the seajays have a made a good name for themselfs with good quality boats

great boat ,strong ,well made with plenty of room on board for fishing

its nice and high inside so the kids wont fall out and has a large step on the back so its easy to get in and out

i think the reverse chines make it a lot dry than would be with out them

good luck deciding on one, i had to do it a couple of years ago and its not something i want to do agian in a hurry

cheers
scotty

fivefishes
18-06-2008, 09:04 PM
Hi,

Ellykan makes a great point, i own a Quintrex 445 Dory and it can feel a little lightweight in some weather ie 1m plus swell up here. The side decks would help a heap in this respect. The 445 only has 1.6mm sides hence the lightweight feel. On the plus side it is heaps dryer than a mates Bluefin 4.5m open tinny. I would tend towards side decks and at least 2mm sides in a boat this size if buying again.

Matt

fivefishes
18-06-2008, 10:56 PM
i have a seajay magnum 5.35m tiller steer
i think the seajays have a made a good name for themselfs with good quality boats

great boat ,strong ,well made with plenty of room on board for fishing

its nice and high inside so the kids wont fall out and has a large step on the back so its easy to get in and out

i think the reverse chines make it a lot dry than would be with out them

good luck deciding on one, i had to do it a couple of years ago and its not something i want to do agian in a hurry

cheers
scotty

Scotty,

What size O/B you got on the 5.35m tiller steer and how's it handle. That's getting pretty big to drive off a tiller, you got arms like a wrestler? Asking cause i won't have a 445 Dory for ever want to know if the 520 Dory or similar size tinnie would be easy to handle with a tiller steer and maybe a 60 4 stroke.

Matt

moater
19-06-2008, 03:26 AM
With the Seajay make sure you get 4.5 or more as you get the reverse chines

mike

G'day Mike,

I've got a 4.55 Magnum and it's got the reverse chines but that's an optional extra..at least for the Magnum series,as far as I know.Cost about $600 extra for the reverse chines (on a 4.55 Magnum) from what I was shown.I got them included at no extra cost..neither should it bloody well be!!

The Sea Jay is a well put together boat and the Brookers sure look good.With my Sea Jay however it would've been nice if the factory workers had remembered to pick up the bits of angle and clean up bits of stainless steel wire brush.There was a fair bit under the floor...if I'd done that when I was working as an apprentice I reckon I would've been slaughtered.Also the welds along the gunwhales (gunnels) tend to have a bit much penetration on a few.I've thought about taking it back but I bought it from a bloke in Sydney and had it delivered to down here in Victoria so it'd be a bit of mucking around.Overall though the boat reeks of strength and forethought put into the construction.Got 3mm hull & 2mm sides -- which is nice.Plenty of ribs and bracing too.

I'm converting it (slowly) to centre console and after the console is in place there'll be about 6 x 4 feet of floor space,not counting alonside the console.The cross thwarts and associated area is a lot extra and my console will hold pretty much everything that I don't need readily.blah blah::)

Darren

SCOTTYGC
19-06-2008, 12:27 PM
Scotty,

What size O/B you got on the 5.35m tiller steer and how's it handle. That's getting pretty big to drive off a tiller, you got arms like a wrestler? Asking cause i won't have a 445 Dory for ever want to know if the 520 Dory or similar size tinnie would be easy to handle with a tiller steer and maybe a 60 4 stroke.

Matt

Matt

i have a 2006 yamaha 50hp 4 stroke on it
maybe a little under powered but can still get up to 40 knots loaded with fishing gear and 3 people

great fuel econemy and slow trolls around the broadwater nicely

handling wise i couldnt be happier it is a little slow to get on the plane but i have just fitted a foil to try and fix that

mate i think a 60 tiller would be your go but make it a 4 stroke lot quiter and no fumes
cheers
scotty

bushbeachboy
19-06-2008, 01:00 PM
If you're interested in a really big tinnie, take a look at a Quintrex 600 Fishseeker. Tiller steer 6m, welded side decks, millenium hull, low hp needs (max 75). Also give you the ability to upgrade it a bit later with a console etc. but still get into a big boat cheaply. Should be cheap to run too, and tough with a 5mm bottom.
Cheers
BB

Bundy Boy
19-06-2008, 07:02 PM
I have a Sea Jay Territory with a Yamaha 40hp 4st on the back and i am very happy with it. I bought a Sea Jay cause they are made locally (for me) and I have a mate how used to work for them. His word and work filled me with more confidence about the general workmanship of the staff from Sea Jay. I was really happy with the finish, but as was said above, the left over fillings and off cuts really annoyed me. They are solid boats, but the best way to determine which boat suits you best is to go for a cruise in each and then make your mind. The Sea Jay suited me best, but it is horses for courses.