PDA

View Full Version : Sharkcat or Seamaster questions

Rabies
18-06-2008, 07:59 AM
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/D:\My Documents\Boat\Enuf\S4010026.JPGHi all,

Hopefully the pic of my cat is on my profile can anyone identify it? - just bought a 16' boat. It's supposedly a Seamaster but I have been told it is a Sharkcat. Twin Evinrude 70's old motors, unfortunately, but the modifications to the layout suit me right down to the ground (or water). I think it used to have a cabin, but was modified to a Center console. It has a huge stowage compartment in front of the console so I can carry around computers between islands and mainland (I live on Macleay Island and fix computers - I travel to the other local islands and the mainland several times a week).

I have a 21' (now 23' with pod) Pride, which I love but can't launch by myself due to a bad back, but I can launch the cat single handed - just. I'll have to sell it .. sigh - I love the boat, 32knots cruise speed and only 40 liters per hour - ah well.

Any tips about handling this boat? Seems to have a few odd habits, like stern digging in..

Cheers,

Tim

Noelm
18-06-2008, 08:14 AM
don't see too much in the way of a picture!

Rabies
18-06-2008, 08:15 AM
Yeah ... trying to attach a pic ....

Rabies
18-06-2008, 08:32 AM
Pics now attached

Noelm
18-06-2008, 09:00 AM
don't think it is either a Sharkcat or a Seamaster, unless it was some sort of early "experimental" thing, I think Seamaster only ever made a 5.5M with clinker sides, so that would rule that out, and it does not really look like a true Sharkcat either!

Noelm
18-06-2008, 09:02 AM
hey, just on those Motors, if the corrosion is not too bad, they will outlast you and the Boat, very good, strong Engine, but age will get it via corrosion/rust long before they ever wear out.

Crocodile
18-06-2008, 09:21 AM
That one is a Seamaster.
The Sharkcats all had clinker sides.
Looks like a great boat.

Crocodile
18-06-2008, 09:22 AM
I meant that the small Sharkcats, 16's and 18's, had clinker sides.

Noelm
18-06-2008, 09:45 AM
the Seamaster had Clinker sides as well! unless it was a very early test Boat of some kind.

Rabies
18-06-2008, 04:13 PM
Thanks for comments so far.

Just to clarify some things:

The sides are not actually clinker, there is one (1) clinker (can you have one only?) - you know what I mean, I hope.

The center console is a later modification. It looks very much like it used to have a cabin/cockpit of some description but was removed - which suits me!

I use it for work, getting from one island to the next - of course I would NEVER use it for leisure purposes (listening Mr tax man?).

I hope the damn motors last - I just spent $2500 on the boat mostly on the motors! The Starboard is still missing (runs on 2 cylinders - so I only get 20 knots out of it, then suddenly the 3rd cylinder comes good and I'm up to 27 knots) and the Port still won't idle .. grrrrrr.

I hope when the motors are finally sorted I can figure out how to drive it!

Cheers,

Tim

Blackened
18-06-2008, 05:52 PM
G'day

I don't know what it is, but I really like it!!

Dave