PDA

View Full Version : For the boys with all the toys

liltuffy
17-06-2008, 08:51 PM
Hi Ausfishers, like a lot of other folk on this site I have the four wheel drive (twin cab hilux ;D ) , the 16 foot seafarer ;D , the camping gear, ALL the fishing gear, the rifles and every other outdoor item known to mankind, remember he who dies with the most toys wins the game of life ;D .

In the past, from long term friends I have only ever asked for their share of the fuel costs for trips away, cheap trip I reckon. With the current cost of fuel etc and all other anciliaries things are starting to bite cost wise.

Last weekend I staked a tyre chasing pigs in the bush which cost me $250 to replace - bugger, plus the fuel to Goondiwindi, food etc. Three days away for me and two "mates". Their cost $70 each, my cost $310, remember I supply basically everything, I know still a pretty cheap trip away, trouble is I go away every few weekends. They jump in their car when we get home and say thanks mate see you next time. I have to clean the mud, fishing gear, guns, camping gear and all the other stuff (takes me two days).

My question is is this, I know others take "mates" away but I am a bit sick of sponsoring peoples weekends away when all they do is chip in for fuel. Fifty percent of the time things happen and extra costs sometimes in the hundreds of dollars happen which I seem to always bear.

What are others rules on trips away with mates and the costs people have to pay??

I'm very interested

Craig

Cammy
17-06-2008, 08:59 PM
Well for me its just fuel atm cause all me and my mates do is go fishing and all we pay is fuel. but im sur ethat will all change soon.

Cammo

Why-ting
17-06-2008, 09:33 PM
My mates come out pay half fuel and have free range at my tackle box But start loosing a few Jap hardbodies and ive got my hand out. Alot of my mates use my rods aswell and ive had a couple of loomies go over the side You loose it, your about to buy it is a firm policy in my boat.

Most of my mates hang around and help wash the boat and gear. If they dont want to help clean up they dont offen come back out.

Whytey

Local_Guy
17-06-2008, 10:35 PM
rules is rules. if your taking them out and they are using your gear, it's good curtosy to stay and help clean up. if i were you i'd be setting down the law before these freeloaders start whinging when next time u ask them to stay and help clean.

obvioulsy you wouln't expect them to give $$$ for the busted wheel, but cleaning the equiptment is a must.

if a mate of mine lost a rod over the side i'd have my hand out, as for lures, well that would depend on the lure.

my 2c

Mr__Bean
17-06-2008, 10:50 PM
The only time I have had trouble is where I haven't had the talk before we go out.

We usually work on split the cost and split the catch, any prize catches stay with who pulled them.

Doing it this way everyone seems comfy doing their bit which can include doing a stint off the rods as you keep the boat in position over the fish.

- Darren

Greg P
17-06-2008, 10:57 PM
Craig - before you loose a mate over any of it make sure they are aware of what you are thinking regarding the costs and cleaning etc

Maybe they are just unaware ??

If they are and still dont care then you are probably better off without them tagging along.

Greg

loophole
17-06-2008, 11:08 PM
Well for me its just fuel atm cause all me and my mates do is go fishing and all we pay is fuel. but im sur ethat will all change soon.

Cammo

just as well u dont have to go halves in my "damages in the hilux aye cam"::) :P

loophole
17-06-2008, 11:13 PM
My mates come out pay half fuel and have free range at my tackle box But start loosing a few Jap hardbodies and ive got my hand out. Alot of my mates use my rods aswell and ive had a couple of loomies go over the side You loose it, your about to buy it is a firm policy in my boat.

Most of my mates hang around and help wash the boat and gear. If they dont want to help clean up they dont offen come back out.

Whytey

hey Whytey i promise i will do all of the above. ;D ;D

Crestcutter
17-06-2008, 11:25 PM
I have my own guns and will pay halfs in everything for the privelige of been takin to someone else's block to have a shot. If there not prepared to do that there are plenty of ssaa members like myself that would gladly jump in there spot.

NAGG
17-06-2008, 11:27 PM
Craig ..... You raised one of the toughest questions to answer & for me your timing is spot on
A mate rang me tonight & announced that his missus was going away to Europe next year & that he would have 6 weeks to head north with me to do some wilderness barra fishing ....... Cool , but its my boat , car etc etc:-X

So .... for me , Its a case of splitting the costs of the trip - Fuel ( car & boat) accommodation , food , drinks etc........ & No one should never have a issue with this!!!!!!!
Other costs ....... Car service / Boat Service / trailer service ... prior to a trip ! ( for me .... we are talking 3000-5000km trips which equate to $600-$700 even before you leave) Can you really ask anyone to pitch in ? Not really IMO ..... because what would be the cost without a crew ? ..... would it be possible to do the trip on your own ? ....... & would you want to do the trip on your own ???.

I guess in a perfect world ..... your mates might look after the accommodation , food & grog .......... I do this with my brothers when we travel up to the Snowies trout fishing! ...... If I drive ..... I wont pay for grog , food .... Mackas on the way there & back!:)
In the end ....... Your mates should offer something that either makes your trip more enjoyable .... easier
But it clearly isn't a perfect world::)

Nice if you can be part of someones crew ... hey:P

Nagg

TimiBoy
18-06-2008, 06:37 AM
It's a toughy. Where do you draw the line?

I expect an equal share in fuel.

I don't worry about the service costs ($7 per engine hour on a 250 Verado)

Fuel pump replaced the other day - $300, but that's mine. (Digging shale at the ramp)

Fish get shared.

Depreciation? No

Tyres? No

Rego? No

If my kit gets lost over the side I'd expect replacement, but that's never happened.

If you don't pitch in at cleaning time, you will have very dry feet for the rest of your life...

And when I get my next boat? I think it'll be different, because it will be much bigger....;D;D;D

Richo1
18-06-2008, 06:40 AM
Yeah lay it on the line first about what they have to pay for. Most of these sorts of "friends" don't own anything themselves so I guess they don't realise the costs... or they are too tight to own anything or fork out for expenses.

It is probably a bit much to ask them to pay for services etc only expenses occurred on trip. That way they look after your gear more!

bushbeachboy
18-06-2008, 06:45 AM
Your mates should definitely be sticking around to do their share of the cleaning up. If you're concerned about their safety with handling the gun cleaning, just do that yourself after they've gone. Cleaning the camping gear and the 4wd should be shared.

As for the cost of the tyre, my mates would offer to contribute toward the cost regardless. You probably should talk it all out before you go, and reach agreement, then there are no excuses.

Anyone who does not want to help can stay at home next time.

Cheers
BBB

cameron walker
18-06-2008, 07:19 AM
I have recently found the answer for this delemer.I became a guide on Fraser and Moerton island, so instead of taking my car I take the bosses .Ditched the mates got some backpackers ,can fish and surf when I want .Best of all I come home and recieve money instead of forking out.;D I actually like working now::)

nigelr
18-06-2008, 07:55 AM
Too easy Craig.
1/3 the total costs from the trip, plus help out with the cleaning etc, if required.
Excellent advice from Greg P and BBB IMO.
Frankly Craig, they shouldn't need to be asked about these issues, they should be asking you what you want.
Personally it would be a matter of 'honour' to ensure I did my share and more, under the circumstances you describe.
Perhaps I have learned the values of money, hard work and friendship.......
I would have too agree that these issues can be damned vexing.........sometimes it is a whole lot easier just to go by yourself, that way you carry all the responsibility and call all the shots.
Cheers.

trueblue
18-06-2008, 08:21 AM
I am a little surprised to hear the concensus in this thread about cleaning of the boat after a trip with mates.

I have to admit that I appreciate it when someone asks to help, but I nearly always say no thanks, I'll do it later.

I have always preferred to wait till the next day to wash the boat, and I do prefer to do it myself.

cheers

Mick

trueblue
18-06-2008, 08:37 AM
Regarding the hunting side of things - people tagging along must be required to bring all of their own kit. If they don't have the kit, they don't belong out there with you unless they are your guest and you are not asking them for any contribution.

Food, grog, tents, rifles, sleeping bags etc, etc, should not be supplied for them, and then you don't need to clean it later.

Regards staked tyres etc, its all about the rules you set up front. Staked tyres while chasing pigs is not an unexpected event, so can quite legitimately be stated up front to be a shared cost if it happens.

cleaning the truck etc after the trip is a personal thing, but again, that is something I have always preferred to do myself.

cheers

Mick

Noelm
18-06-2008, 08:48 AM
this is a very real situation, way back when Gamefishing was my main Fishing pursuit, we had a "mate" and his Nickname was "corrosion" because he was in everyones Boat, he would just hop from Boat to Boat, never paid a cent, never cleaned up after, he even had the hide to put out the word that he was "available" for a certain day or destination, let me tell you, he never ever got a ride in my Boat! it all comes down to share the "daily" costs, like Fuel, Bait, Ice, whatever, regular Maintenance was my cost, BUT I certainly expect some help when things need to be done , like (say) wheel bearings and stuff, sometimes when it comes to cleaning, a new helper can be a pain, My Son and I have a sort of routine, he does certain things, I do other things and it all gets done in a jiffy, now comes the expense of broken and/or lost gear, that is a very tricky one, if someone uses your Rod and drops it over the side, it would be nice for him to offer to pay for it, not too sure I would dance around and insist he does, but would be pretty p!ssed off if he didn't, so it would all depend on how things happened, like the Tyre, it was not a regular service item, it happened on a planned trip, I reckon they pay a share in the expense, different if the Tyre was just worn out, then it is your/my problem, see the slight difference?

NAGG
18-06-2008, 08:50 AM
I am a little surprised to hear the concensus in this thread about cleaning of the boat after a trip with mates.

I have to admit that I appreciate it when someone asks to help, but I nearly always say no thanks, I'll do it later.

I have always preferred to wait till the next day to wash the boat, and I do prefer to do it myself.

cheers

Mick

I'm a little that way ...... Even at the end of one of the big 5000km trips - I'll drop my mate off & take the car & boat to one of those high pressure car washes ........ Empty out the boat & wash both down! ........ It takes about 30mins ($15 in coins) ...... & its over & done with!
Then the next day the car will be emptied out & cleaned internally ..... & the gear is put away!

Chris
PS ..... Someone mentioned about not bothering with a crew & doing it yourself!
....... When I do my NQ trips , 1 crew member cuts the cost for me by around $1300-1500 (fuel & accom) .......... If I did it alone

Noelm
18-06-2008, 08:55 AM
Way back, we used to do an annual "pilgrimage" to a South Coast Fishing town, we used to take a mates Boat, he would pay for absolutley everything, from accomodation, to fuel, Oil, repairs at the time, everything, when we got home, he would dig out all the receipts, tally it all up, divide it by the amount of Crew, and that was your share, kind of very Accountant like, but it worked for us for years, if you did not like his arrangement, then you did not have to go, you could take your own gear and still be with the group of guys, but it was his way, it worked, no one felt ripped off, he had receipts so it was all covered.

Cheech
18-06-2008, 08:59 AM
The tyre thing is a difficult one. If I equate that to boating, it does fit under the boat owners responsibility. Would be the same as if the skipper dinged the prop of their boat. That is something the the owner has to cop. You would not ask the crew to chip in for a replacement. But I think the point with this thread is that as you are teh owner, it is always your expense. Would be nice if your mates had appropriate vehicles and you could take turns in supplying the transport to give you a go at only having to pay the fuel share.

With gear generally, I have been lucky so far that very little has been damaged over the years, but as others said, if it was lost or damaged by stupidity, then they should be offering to replace/fix. If it was lost or damaged because it was not sturdy enough for the job, then that is another for the owner to cop. They should not have to replace it if it broke during normal use.

Timmiboy, when you get the next boat, I will be there with bait and a spare bread roll in hand. Plus a couple of rumbo's :). Maybe that is how you will need to cost it. The deckies to supply the extra's.

Cheech

FNQCairns
18-06-2008, 09:13 AM
Experienced blokes should have all of the kit they personally need, someone has gotta a bring the community kit no use bringing 3 sets of camp kitchens etc for 3 blokes, new blokes get a big break on all equipment, fuel is split fair, tyres are the responsibility of the vehicle owner same as if they hit a moo cow on the way out or a mazda at the last set of lights, or a tree on the property, if one of the blokes head buts the front quarter panel thats his responsibility to fix.

Things break usually they were just about to anyway, or were at risk of breaking, just one of those things, disrespecting loaned equipment is another matter entirely.

cheers fnq

TimiBoy
18-06-2008, 09:32 AM
A really positive message is that if Guys don't want to offer to help out, they're probably not the sort you're going to take more than once anyway. The helpers are usually good blokes, the taggers are not really the "respectful" sort, are they?

Cheers,

Tim

trueblue
18-06-2008, 09:43 AM
The tyre thing is a difficult one. If I equate that to boating, it does fit under the boat owners responsibility. Would be the same as if the skipper dinged the prop of their boat. That is something the the owner has to cop. You would not ask the crew to chip in for a replacement. But I think the point with this thread is that as you are the owner, it is always your expense. Would be nice if your mates had appropriate vehicles and you could take turns in supplying the transport to give you a go at only having to pay the fuel share.

There is a bit of a difference in dinging a prop, and staking a tyre while chasing pigs in rough country. You don't expect to ding a prop while out in the boat and if you do its probably the owners responsibility because he shouldn't have been where he was.

Staking a tyre when pigging is pretty much par for the course and to be expected in my book. I've been on trips where we did 4 tyres in a weekend on one vehicle... We had the spares because this is not unusual in some country. Lots of pigs won't be got unless you drive the truck over pretty crappy gound without regard for conserving the tyres......

But you can't ask for tyre contributions after the fact - it has to be stated up front. Alternatively, it has to be a situation where each person in the group takes turns bringing their own truck, and then each person takes responsibility for tyres and it will generally average out over time.

Tyres are just another consumeable when pigging - same in my book as bait when fishing. sometimes you use very little, sometimes you use a lot. Cost has to be shared if it happened during the hunt (Not the same if its just a tyre blown on the highway).

If blokes on pigging trips don't want to carry a shared responsibility for staked tyres while in the scrub chasing down pigs, tell them to get out and do it by foot - they will very quickly get an appreciation of why they should take some responsibility for staked tyres.

Note: people who have not been pigging in rough country might not understand this mindset.

cheers

Mick

CT
18-06-2008, 10:14 AM
My mate ran quite good books on his pigging operation over about 5 years. Pig cheques vs. tyres, ammo, diesel and vet bills. It was break even every time. Your not going to get rich on this game!

If your boxing pigs for cash, the split of the $ influences who pays what I guess. Split the cheque, split the cost of tyres and vets. Owner of the accredited car gets the cheques, split the fuel and grog and owner covers the rest?

Just get mates that don't have to be asked and just offers!

Cheers
Craig

keen_angler
18-06-2008, 10:55 AM
Same thing has happened to me on a few occassions, I am the type of person that will not ask for money for a trip, you don't offer when we get back you don't get to go again, and I don't tell them why.

Now my mates pay for the complete trip, something goes wrong, tyre blows they insist they will pay, I will always offer but they never let me pay, they say why should he pay when we use all of his gear, ute, etc... and he has had to pay upfront for the gear and if he didn't have the gear we probably wouldn't go.

I think if you don't want to set the ground rules up front and they use and abuse you don't take them again, it has been said before that there are plenty of other people that would be willing to come along and share the cost.

liltuffy
18-06-2008, 11:07 AM
All good input fellas, it seems a few others have a similar quandery.

To add a bit more info I have different mates I go fishing with and other mates I go hunting with. The hunting blokes have their own personal gear like bedding, guns and chair etc but do not have 4WD or any other camping gear and I can tell you they absolutely have no intention of ever buying any - they enjoy their annual overseas trips too much!

Sure I don't mind forking out for the normal wear and tear items, servicing etc as well as the camping stuff because I take the missus and kids away a fair bit as well but the tyre had only done about 6000 km on a BFG All terrain.

Good points about laying the rules down first but since I've been taking these particular blokes for about ten years (been going there myself for nearly 20) I just thought it would have been common courtesy to at least offer - maybe I'm just too selfish.

I replaced the tyre the day after we got back and the mates know how much it cost but strangely i haven't heard from them since, funny that eh?

Might be looking for some new hunting buddies I reckon.

Craig

liltuffy
18-06-2008, 11:11 AM
Same thing has happened to me on a few occassions, I am the type of person that will not ask for money for a trip, you don't offer when we get back you don't get to go again, and I don't tell them why.

Now my mates pay for the complete trip, something goes wrong, tyre blows they insist they will pay, I will always offer but they never let me pay, they say why should he pay when we use all of his gear, ute, etc... and he has had to pay upfront for the gear and if he didn't have the gear we probably wouldn't go.

I think if you don't want to set the ground rules up front and they use and abuse you don't take them again, it has been said before that there are plenty of other people that would be willing to come along and share the cost.

Good on you, I see some new rules coming on.

Anyone interested in enjoying 6500 acres where I have free roam and access, camp by a lovely creek on flat grassy ground and a waterhole full of tasty yabbies??

ffejsmada
18-06-2008, 12:29 PM
Anyone interested in enjoying 6500 acres where I have free roam and access, camp by a lovely creek on flat grassy ground and a waterhole full of tasty yabbies??

Haha, Is your PM inbox full yet?????????;D ;D

Real mates would insist on offering to clean up and assist in a monetary way.
Like you say mate, start looking for new hunting buddies!!

Cheers.

murf
18-06-2008, 12:58 PM
I don't expect anything if I invite people out for a days fishing or 4WDing but if it becomes a regular thing then we split bait and fuel. i guess I am accepting the extra cost and loss to enjoy other peoples company;)

I lost contact with a mate because of one of his beliefs that if he took someone out in his boat he expected them to have equal share in the cost of repairs should something break down, he did a gear box on the outboard on the way out fishing and expected a one off visitor to pay thirds for a new one:o

I hate asking anyone for anything but am willing to do my share of work and pay for my share of fuel etc

I hate cleaning other peoples boats as they usually have a routine on how they clean it and what they don't like getting wet etc, But I will offer

I have done the Fraser Toyota comp the last 3 years where I have supplied nearly everything, (the first year I towed up a mates boat) it does add up but that is my cost. I do all the shopping and maintenance own all the gear and only ask for equal share in the fuel /food, I usually do 90% of the clean up too as I am on a pension and do it over a week or so when we get back while the others go to work

I guess I believe that if something went wrong then we would be men enough to work it out

Friends that came with us to Fraser one year had a common jar with $500 in it for just such an occasion, just as well too because a stick flipped up on a track while some one else was driving and spiked the air con radiator, all good and paid for with no complaints:)

Mrs Ronnie H
18-06-2008, 01:16 PM
Hi all

I would expect everyone to help out when i got home and not just b****er off and leave everything.

Maybe you should mention to them if they want to go next time then be prepared to clean up and help unpack when you get back. and chuck in something toward expenses.

I've done a couple of trips with brother fishin and chucked in for fuel, bait, ice--- we share the expenses and I always take our munchies. Even though I'm usually really buggered by the time we get home I still offer help, unload the boat, and anything else we need to do that day.

These days you can't expect a free ride-- if someone is good enough to offer you a ride then in return you should offer to help out where you can.

I couldn't do what your supposed to be mates did and just leave everything-- and not offer to help out.
Maybe some of us have better manners and values than others.

Ronnie

Maybe

Kleyny
18-06-2008, 04:48 PM

cheers

Mick

Mick I'm with you. i need to wash my gear my way that way if its not done right its my fault.
I let a mate wash my boat once and I'm sure he washed it with left over bait and sand from the ramp.>:(

as for fuel costs my normal crew seem to want to pay for the whole fuel bill including the car. (But i don't have a fuel bill like some of you blokes)

My main rule is if something was to break, it's the person in charge of it at the time is the one who sticks their fingers in their wallet. whether that be gear or boat (But i don't expect someone to pay for something out of their control)

neil

PinHead
18-06-2008, 06:49 PM
Liltuffy..the perfect solution..don't take them again..go on your own.

jimbo59
18-06-2008, 07:17 PM
Isn't it funny we had this same tread on here 2 or 3 years ago and the majority of people were against giving /taking money for a trip in the boat,my how things have changed::) .

Poodroo
18-06-2008, 07:38 PM
Hi Ausfishers, like a lot of other folk on this site I have the four wheel drive (twin cab hilux ;D ) , the 16 foot seafarer ;D , the camping gear, ALL the fishing gear, the rifles and every other outdoor item known to mankind, remember he who dies with the most toys wins the game of life ;D .

In the past, from long term friends I have only ever asked for their share of the fuel costs for trips away, cheap trip I reckon. With the current cost of fuel etc and all other anciliaries things are starting to bite cost wise.

Last weekend I staked a tyre chasing pigs in the bush which cost me $250 to replace - bugger, plus the fuel to Goondiwindi, food etc. Three days away for me and two "mates". Their cost $70 each, my cost $310, remember I supply basically everything, I know still a pretty cheap trip away, trouble is I go away every few weekends. They jump in their car when we get home and say thanks mate see you next time. I have to clean the mud, fishing gear, guns, camping gear and all the other stuff (takes me two days).

My question is is this, I know others take "mates" away but I am a bit sick of sponsoring peoples weekends away when all they do is chip in for fuel. Fifty percent of the time things happen and extra costs sometimes in the hundreds of dollars happen which I seem to always bear.

What are others rules on trips away with mates and the costs people have to pay??

I'm very interested

Craig

I guess it is a lot like boating. A good deckie will chip in for the fuel (remember that the car also uses fuel to get the boat to the ramp) and then when you get home a good deckie will offer to help unpack and clean the boat. With this in mind I see no difference when on a pig hunting expedition. Same deal. Chip in for fuel and sundry expenses, then offer to help unpack and clean the 4x4 afterwards. It's basic courtesy.

Poodroo

whynott
18-06-2008, 07:44 PM
Maybe its just me.:-/
I currently don't own a boat. Have not had one for a few years now, but may get another one if the right one comes along.::)
So here is my view as I have been a deckie for a few guys.
I allways put my hand in my pocket to put money towards the day.
To me it does not matter if we catch fish or not.
If some one is good enough to take me out, its good enough for me to pay my share.
I am there till the end as I help clean the boat and put it away.
I understand that everyone has their own way of doing things, but I am always there to help.
At least I know that I have done my bit, and I may get another invite out.
Graham.

scrubba01
18-06-2008, 08:35 PM
My Mates and I have always split the bills with out getting to padantic about it, a couple of dollars here or there isn't an issue. The clean up is usually done the next day everybody comes around cleans up we have a few beers and talk about the next trip or where we thought we went wrong. These days most of us have kids who like to come around and watch fish being filleted and play about while we clean up.
Good mates usually do offer to chip in for blown tyres on pig'n trips (but only a portion due to wear). With hunting gear and fishing gear unless they are not a regular, they need they're own gear.

If you ever need a hunting buddy just send me a message, I even give them a sporting chance and use the Bow.

tenzing
18-06-2008, 11:36 PM
The world is divide into two basic groups.
The guys who offer to pay more than their fair share so that you can knock them down and you both appear generous .
And the rest.

The clean up is an absolute given. If your mates fit into "the rest" category then they should get a chance at the pre nup type lecture. If that fails you dont invite them again.
People dont really ever change, Just hang with the guys who prefer to shout rather than be shouted.
Brendan

Dirtysanchez
19-06-2008, 09:46 AM
Its interesting, I have a small boat with a 6hp on the back (yeah yeah I know) and despite the fact a full day trolling a river or in the bay close to shore, with 2 blokes I might use 15ltrs of fuel, and $20 in bait, most of my fishing mates generally don't offer any money up.. I haven't minded, but now that 15ltrs of fuel costs 22 bucks it is becoming expensive when you add it all up.

Likewise I get a car allowance with my job, and the boys know, so if we 4wd it up a beach, the silence about the fuel is deafening.
Only once when I went to Fraser with a few lads and the fuel over there is top dollar did I get a couple of $20 notes pushed towards me, and I took them

One mate will stop at a bakery and buy some tucker, and share it round, but I usually have mine already anyway..

Cleaning up, well I just do it at home with the Gerni and the tank water, but it would be nice to have some help I suppose :(

It hasn't bothered me until I read this thread, now I feel like a charity charter operation

Jungle Jim
19-06-2008, 10:41 AM
I don't expect anything if I invite people out for a days fishing

that's exactly the way i see it ..!
Im going out regardless and i invite you tag along... i see it as hosting a guest...

Do you ask your dinner guests for half the cost of the meat or the gas to cook it?

I've got a motorhome in NZ for when i feel like chasing trout.. i always invite someone to come along but would never need to sit down and discuss who pays for what... i expect these people who i consider my mates to recognise a "gift horse" when they see one....

cleaning etc- honestly i would prefer to do it myself that way i know its done the way i want it...

when it comes to breaking losing things...
they are my mates and adults - they know what's right and wrong i don't need to tell them what a fair go is...

Jim

PADDLES
19-06-2008, 11:52 AM
most "good" mates will hang around to help clean up without being asked and will certainly offer to chip in for fuel. i do agree though with murf's statement that if you actually invite someone out to fish or shoot then you should simply cover the bill. unless of course you have hit them up about splitting costs beforehand. i generally fill the boat up out of my own pocket and just get the deckie to provide bait and some chow. staking a tyre or something braking on the boat however is the skipper's responsibility i reckon.

Getout
19-06-2008, 02:15 PM
Its interesting, I have a small boat with a 6hp on the back (yeah yeah I know) and despite the fact a full day trolling a river or in the bay close to shore, with 2 blokes I might use 15ltrs of fuel, and $20 in bait, most of my fishing mates generally don't offer any money up.. I haven't minded, but now that 15ltrs of fuel costs 22 bucks it is becoming expensive when you add it all up.

Likewise I get a car allowance with my job, and the boys know, so if we 4wd it up a beach, the silence about the fuel is deafening.
Only once when I went to Fraser with a few lads and the fuel over there is top dollar did I get a couple of $20 notes pushed towards me, and I took them

One mate will stop at a bakery and buy some tucker, and share it round, but I usually have mine already anyway..

Cleaning up, well I just do it at home with the Gerni and the tank water, but it would be nice to have some help I suppose :(

It hasn't bothered me until I read this thread, now I feel like a charity charter operation

Sounds like you need some new friends.

I only invite my good mates (not tight #rses) out fishing. They usually look after the food, bait and their own fishing gear. I sort the boat and fuel. They fillet the fish while I clean the boat. They offer fuel money but I usually knock it back.
I spend plenty on fuel, rego insurance maintenance and my fishing mates appreciate it but its not the money, rather the contribution of time and effort to get ready and clean up afterwards, that means most to me.

SeaHunt
19-06-2008, 02:20 PM
Good on you, I see some new rules coming on.

Can I bring a couple of dogs? ::)

But then I would want to take my own Hilux and all my own camping gear etc.. so that isn't going to help with your expenses is it, since I would have a heap of my own.;D

Seriously though I would love to have access to somewhere like that, even with dodgey mates you are fortunate to have that available.

Dirtysanchez
19-06-2008, 02:26 PM
Hi Getout, I think you are right !!

I guess thats why I mostly take the tinny out by myself, no one else to blame then is there ?

Scott nthQld
19-06-2008, 03:24 PM
deleted....Ausfish does not own my thoughts and opinions

trueblue
19-06-2008, 05:30 PM
They fillet the fish while I clean the boat. They offer fuel money but I usually knock it back.
I spend plenty on fuel, rego insurance maintenance and my fishing mates appreciate it but its not the money, rather the contribution of time and effort to get ready and clean up afterwards, that means most to me.

do you have a small and economical engine then?

cheers

Mick

liltuffy
19-06-2008, 06:07 PM
Thanks guys. Crestcutter, Scrubba01 and Seahunt in the fullness of time you'll be contacted for the possibility of future trips.

Dogs may be an issue though, as you know generally on country properties running stock, well behaved dogs are OK but it depends on the mood at the time. It would be nice though sometimes to be a passenger.

Craig

catfishkid
19-06-2008, 06:24 PM
I know its a littel of subject but the principle is the same.
Last year I did a trip to monduran,I drove my Twin cab diesel hilux towing a 14ft tinny,two days on the water etc...,It was a group trip orginised on another forum and met some really great guys.I Took another guy from this forum,picked him up as requested,the electric on my boat didnt work on this particular weekend so I spent most of the weekend with a paddle in my hand so my son and guest could still fish as it was a bit windy,to cut a long story short this guy gave me a total of $15 for the weekend including the camping fees.
I was pissed off at the time,now I wont take someone I dont know anywhere,My mates are always welcome and they have always paid their way and as for clean up if you play you get to help clean up,my mates all know that.
There are plenty of people out there willing to take advantage and it is up to you if you cop it or not.

Cheers Craig

PinHead
19-06-2008, 06:26 PM
I have said it before..and still stick to it...no one pays for anything when they come on my boat with me.... they can bring some food if they wish or some bait but that does not really matter either. I enjoy the company of good friends and don't ask for any money for that.

NAGG
19-06-2008, 06:54 PM
I know its a littel of subject but the principle is the same.
Last year I did a trip to monduran,I drove my Twin cab diesel hilux towing a 14ft tinny,two days on the water etc...,It was a group trip orginised on another forum and met some really great guys.I Took another guy from this forum,picked him up as requested,the electric on my boat didnt work on this particular weekend so I spent most of the weekend with a paddle in my hand so my son and guest could still fish as it was a bit windy,to cut a long story short this guy gave me a total of $15 for the weekend including the camping fees.
I was pissed off at the time,now I wont take someone I dont know anywhere,My mates are always welcome and they have always paid their way and as for clean up if you play you get to help clean up,my mates all know that.
There are plenty of people out there willing to take advantage and it is up to you if you cop it or not.

Cheers Craig

Craig ....... sometimes you have to wonder what goes through someones mind! ....... Your example is a straight out case of someone who is "CLUELESS!"

Surprisingly there seem to be a lot of "CLUELESS" people out there!::) ...... they either have no idea .... or deliberately switch off:(

Nagg

disorderly
19-06-2008, 06:56 PM
I have said it before..and still stick to it...no one pays for anything when they come on my boat with me.... they can bring some food if they wish or some bait but that does not really matter either. I enjoy the company of good friends and don't ask for any money for that.

I would respectfully suggest,Greg,that
you are not representative of most fisherman that travel vast distances in the pursuit of a good haul of offshore reef-fish ......I would say you are a boaty rather than a fisho and if you want to buy company then goodonya, but most of us dont like sponsoring bludgers.

scott

Vitamin Sea
19-06-2008, 07:33 PM
Hey Craig

As you mentioned the other day, we have spoken on this subject many times...

These day's most of us are doing it a bit tough, mortgage, fuel, groceries etc, etc, etc.

I would think that a "mate" really should not have to be asked to chip in, let it be fuel, tyre or whatever, most guy's we take out should have a pretty good idea on what it really costs to do trips, let it be boating/fishing, shooting pigs, whatever.

May have to come down to re-evaluating your position with the fella's involved, or, as many others have said, make some firm and fast rules up front.

Equally, I expect crew/mates to help with the cleaning after we get home, it is the right thing to do, what I was taught, what you were taught.

Nice to be able to sponsor crew, however, not many are in that position.

Talk later;)

Bill

alphas
19-06-2008, 08:07 PM
Very good points raised by nigelr...time for some new mates or try a trip by yourself liltuffy,you might be surprised at how much more you and your gear gets respected!!!

Jungle Jim
20-06-2008, 08:44 AM

Pinhead sounds like a pretty good host to me anyone he akes on his boat would appreciate the hospitality....and i'd hazard a guess he rarely has any issues with ungrateful passengers...

I'm not sure how inviting friends or family out with you to enjoy a day boating or fishing equates to buying company...

If invite my friends or family round for a bbq and supply steaks salads and wine am i buying company (?)....
I thought i was hosting friends and/or family who i imagine will end up hosting me before to long.

My 2 cents

Jim

Reel Nauti
20-06-2008, 10:07 PM
Some posts on this thread make some people sound like bloody 'Lords". If you've got the gear and you want to go and do what you want to do, then do it! If you ask/invite people along, mates or whatever, why are you whingeing that they "don't pay" or "they don't chip in". Some have suggested that they might not be mates after all, but what sort of 'mate' are you to get on here and bitch about them? For crying out loud, and I've said this before as well, if you're relying on your 'mates' to subsidise your hobby then you need to take up something else. IMO. The guy that offered $15??? Maybe he was 'invited' too. And maybe $15 was a real stretch for him depending on his circumstances. For f**ks sake, do some of you guys want Steve Brown to subsidise your power bill for the time you spend on Ausfish?

Just my thoughts

Dave

Tangles
21-06-2008, 12:30 AM
buying company Scott ???

One of the most mean spirited posts ive ever seen on Ausfish!!!! Comes across as you'd charge your grandmother petrol for a trip down to the local shops!!!.. entry fee for one of your home bbqs Scott?

its called choice and respect, its not that hard, if you all agree to what costs/duties etc whichever way it works out, your on the same page.

and just so you know: I go out with mates who divide all the costs (fuel, bait travelling etc) and with mates who dont, its pretty easy, its called Communication and on my boat I dont care as Im going out anyway, only bugger who pays is my brother;D

hate mean spirited posts,

Mike

Mr__Bean
21-06-2008, 04:31 AM
Hmmmm,

Plenty of emotion coming through...

Do keep in mind that the guys posting on here have a wide variety of costs when going out for the day.

For those fishing relatively close and in fuel efficient boats then the total cost can be relatively low for the day $50 to $100, whereas the guys that are travelling vast distances to get the crew out onto the best of the available reefs then their cost can quite easily mount up to $300 to $400 (or more) for the day.

I know for me a day out soon adds up.
- fuel to tow Brisbane to Mooloolaba return $50
- boat fuel for about 130km's around $200
- bait $40
- Ice $15
- lost knife jigs @ $25 to $35 each :'( :'(
- couple of roast chooks, some bread rolls and coleslaw etc $25

It doesn't take long to get up to $400 for a really good day out offshore (god I hope she doesn't see this:-X ).

So, for some it's not about buying mates or about being a tight ar$e, it's about being able to talk about it together as mates and sharing the load so that you can all afford to be able to do it again as soon as possible.

- Darren

Scalem
21-06-2008, 05:10 AM
I have this "mate" who was very interested in learning soft plastic fishing, so I asked if he had braid spooled up on his reel. To cut a long story short, I was at the tackle shop anyhow, so we agreed I would grab a spool of braid while I was there. I helped put the stuff on, anad provided the necessary backing - everything.

He has been out with me twice since. No money for fuel, and shallow promises to give me money for the spool of braid have all fallen through.>:(

He doesn't ask to come fishing any more. Kinda glad really.

Having said all that, I own the boat and the camper and all the ancilliaries because i enjoy all those things. I don't expect mates to chip in for fuel, because if they were'nt coming with me, I would still be going anyway. Occasional offers are greatfully received, and unpacking and washing the boat after a trip is the pitts doing it yourself. But don't expect me to feed and water you as well, thats over the top.

Scalem

webby
21-06-2008, 09:10 AM
Next thing we will see is a sign on the boat stating deckie fees payable in advance ???
Yes it is getting a little on the expensive side to catch a fish, but it is still one of most brain releasing tension exercises about.
If its coming to the crunch that your more worried about whose going to foot the bill then enjoying the trip, i would take up bowls ???
If someone offers to pay a nominal fee to help support the trip so be it, but i dont get back to the ramp and immediately stick my mit out expecting compensation.
regards

catfishkid
21-06-2008, 10:35 AM
Some posts on this thread make some people sound like bloody 'Lords". If you've got the gear and you want to go and do what you want to do, then do it! If you ask/invite people along, mates or whatever, why are you whingeing that they "don't pay" or "they don't chip in". Some have suggested that they might not be mates after all, but what sort of 'mate' are you to get on here and bitch about them? For crying out loud, and I've said this before as well, if you're relying on your 'mates' to subsidise your hobby then you need to take up something else. IMO. The guy that offered $15??? Maybe he was 'invited' too. And maybe $15 was a real stretch for him depending on his circumstances. For f**ks sake, do some of you guys want Steve Brown to subsidise your power bill for the time you spend on Ausfish?

Just my thoughts

Dave

The $15 didnt even cover the cost of camping fees at monduran let alone fuel costs etc..It was a trip orginised on another forum as stated and i did say I had a spare spot on my boat if anyone was interested,I did not offer to pay other peoples camping fees and an offer of something that covered their personal expenses would have been appreciated,I didnt even get a thankyou at the end,if you can affored to subsidise other peoples fun than that is great but i work hard and long hours to pay for a bit of fun and if I cant afford it I dont expect others to pay for it.

Craig

disorderly
21-06-2008, 11:09 AM
buying company Scott ???

One of the most mean spirited posts ive ever seen on Ausfish!!!! Comes across as you'd charge your grandmother petrol for a trip down to the local shops!!!.. entry fee for one of your home bbqs Scott?

its called choice and respect, its not that hard, if you all agree to what costs/duties etc whichever way it works out, your on the same page.

and just so you know: I go out with mates who divide all the costs (fuel, bait travelling etc) and with mates who dont, its pretty easy, its called Communication and on my boat I dont care as Im going out anyway, only bugger who pays is my brother;D

hate mean spirited posts,

Mike

Yeah OK Mike....point taken....it sure was mean spirited....Greg sounds like a great host so good on him if he wants to take some company out for a day on the water.His boat and his life so he can do as he pleases.

However, the point I was actually trying to make is best summed up by Mr Bean's post below as this is the style of fishing I also do...where a day out costs upward of $200 and I dont know ONE person who regularly takes totally non-contributing deckies on such trips.....

I do at times take out some people who I understand really cant afford the required gear and associated costs but I receive in return a variety of rewards in the form of a day's labour if I need a hand in the business ie I need to pour a shed slab next weekend and a couple of blokes I have taken out and I paid for the trip have offered their services.
....I have also taken out around 10 or 12 young Wwoofers of different nationalities who have stayed with us and given us a hand over the last 3 years or so, and of course footed the bills...
....another guy who I have taken out and knocked back payment a couple of times and I also drop a fish off his place after trips,well he regularly drops off bags of fruit and veg that he grows.
....another neighbor I also drop off fish too is great about lending me his concrete mixer,extension ladder or giving me a ride into town when my car is being serviced.

So,Mike, it's not just about the money.....its about making a genuine contribution in one form or another regardless of ones financial situation...in other words sharing...to me not to contribute would be akin to rocking up to a barbie with no beer and emptying the hosts fridge...only going to happen once.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gif

Oh well, me and my mean spirit are going to take my kids for a fish down the creek now...wonder if I should bill them now or later http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gifhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gif.

Hmmmm,

Plenty of emotion coming through...

Do keep in mind that the guys posting on here have a wide variety of costs when going out for the day.

For those fishing relatively close and in fuel efficient boats then the total cost can be relatively low for the day $50 to $100, whereas the guys that are travelling vast distances to get the crew out onto the best of the available reefs then their cost can quite easily mount up to $300 to $400 (or more) for the day.

I know for me a day out soon adds up.
- fuel to tow Brisbane to Mooloolaba return $50
- boat fuel for about 130km's around $200
- bait $40
- Ice $15
- lost knife jigs @ $25 to $35 each :'( :'(
- couple of roast chooks, some bread rolls and coleslaw etc $25

It doesn't take long to get up to $400 for a really good day out offshore (god I hope she doesn't see this:-X ).

So, for some it's not about buying mates or about being a tight ar$e, it's about being able to talk about it together as mates and sharing the load so that you can all afford to be able to do it again as soon as possible.

- Darren

Darren's post sums up the position of most reef fisherman I know.

Scott

NAGG
21-06-2008, 02:14 PM
Next thing we will see is a sign on the boat stating deckie fees payable in advance ???
Yes it is getting a little on the expensive side to catch a fish, but it is still one of most brain releasing tension exercises about.
If its coming to the crunch that your more worried about whose going to foot the bill then enjoying the trip, i would take up bowls ???
If someone offers to pay a nominal fee to help support the trip so be it, but i dont get back to the ramp and immediately stick my mit out expecting compensation.
regards

Don't laugh ..... a mate already does it! & to be honest , I don't blame him!
If he takes 1 or 2 blokes out with him & his son fishing for yellow fin tuna ...... the cost of the day can be pretty high ........ @ $50 for car fuel , $300 boat fuel & $100 for bait/ burley ( pilchards for cubing) ........ Now asking for $100 to me is not unreasonable ..... specially if they come home with a 30kg YFT :P ....... Now he has a few people that would kill their grandmother for a day out ....... because they know what it would cost them for a charter! ...... so they pay up or don't go! .... simple
On the flip side ..... my normal local trips , I never ask & never expect a thing ...... I would be going out regardless ...... I provide the food, everything ....... If someone comes with me .... they do so as my guest! ...... I dont have a regular crew or need one....... & besides how can I ask for $10;)
As for major trips ...... That is a different story ! These are planned well in advance , accom booked & even expected fuel usage worked out .......... ! The last couple of trips , my mate has deposited into my bank account his estimated share!8-) No arguements ...... you just go away & enjoy the trip!

Nagg

PinHead
21-06-2008, 06:42 PM
I would respectfully suggest,Greg,that
you are not representative of most fisherman that travel vast distances in the pursuit of a good haul of offshore reef-fish ......I would say you are a boaty rather than a fisho and if you want to buy company then goodonya, but most of us dont like sponsoring bludgers.

scott

well Scott..now you have me in the proverbial..I took a fishing mate out for an overnighter last night...about an hours drive each way from home...only estuary fishing..not much boat fuel used..some bait and ice purchased. Got back home today, did some quick maths...told the fishing mate how much I was owed for the trip...I said I was no longer sponsoring bludgers...now she says i have to cook my own meals, do my own washing and ironing and am lucky to be even allowed into the house. See the trouble you get me into!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tigermullet
21-06-2008, 08:45 PM
That's priceless PH.

I'd love to try it but am not game.:P

NAGG
21-06-2008, 09:14 PM
That's priceless PH.

I'd love to try it but am not game.:P

So that's where I went wrong ::)

Nagg

disorderly
21-06-2008, 09:46 PM
well Scott..now you have me in the proverbial..I took a fishing mate out for an overnighter last night...about an hours drive each way from home...only estuary fishing..not much boat fuel used..some bait and ice purchased. Got back home today, did some quick maths...told the fishing mate how much I was owed for the trip...I said I was no longer sponsoring bludgers...now she says i have to cook my own meals, do my own washing and ironing and am lucky to be even allowed into the house. See the trouble you get me into!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very clever Greg http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif.

murf
21-06-2008, 10:32 PM
I must live in paradise:P

10km to beach launch, say $5 for return trip

duck around the front a couple of km off shore, catch bait and fish 4lt fuel @ $1.50 = $6

Ice comes out of the freezer guess 50c

wash boat, couple hundred lt of water, guess 60c

rego insurance etc who cares that is part of owning a boat
now the mates share is $6:)

and they get a great feed of fish and usually more than 1/2 share as I usually always have some in the freezer

:P ;D

Cheers Murf

PS Darren let me know what the costs are and I am happy to share for a days outing, it is a bit scary though when I am used to only going a few km to you going out 80km;)

here fishy fishy fishy

FNQCairns
21-06-2008, 10:35 PM
Well what about holding ones head up, self respect and all of that stuff, I cannot deckie on a boat I cannot pay my way on, just doesn't seem right and a little uncomfortable too.

Way back when fuel was 20 something cents a litre we would still all pay our way so it's not a new thing related to the cost of living these days.

Of coarse there are caveats like family, thankyou's, old mates visiting and in kind arrangements yada yada yada.

cheers fnq

GAD
22-06-2008, 12:43 AM
Good on ya pihead , thats game fishing .
Most blokes will offer to chip in , I have a couple of blokes I go out with regularlly and they pay their share and a bit as they say I paid the money to get the boat serviced and ready and thay are quite happy to come out even if it is a slow day , they even tow the boat to the ramp on occassion , have another mates father I'll take out for nix as he has some great spots and I get to mark them when we go.
But clean up at the end is always the rule , that is fish and boat , one mate is really good at filleting so he'll start that while I clean up and and most times he finishes first. Don't like to leave squid to dry on the boat hard to get off.

When we go up the cape fishing or to lakefield very rare not to go in our own vehicle sounds like selfish but we carry a fridge each , plus all the creature comforts ,got to make it comfortable now .
One boat between two and the bloke not carrying the boat carries more fuel which is a share cost for the boat fuel , but the car is your cost as is exspenses like tyres as you are the only one in the car .

Greg

tenzing
26-06-2008, 10:41 PM
Here's an example of another type of guy;

I asked a mate with much more experience than me to come out with me out to his spots , which he was happy to share. On the way back he offers me a 50 , which would have been about half the fuel. I had also taken my son.
I politely refused and he decides that he'd buy dinner on the way home instead.
Dinner was 30 bucks and I thought we were all done .
Just going through my tackle box and I find a 20 neatly stashed away.
He is the other kind of guy. Everyone gets a warm fuzzy feeling.
Brendan

sooty
27-06-2008, 09:57 PM
Do you;
Let a dog bite you twice?
Stick your finger in the fire a second time to be sure it is hot?
Take a bludger on a second trip?

Answer to all 3 questions is NO

Mate and I have a simple solution, my ute his boat, his ute my boat or if own car and boat other pays fuel. byo drinks and one buys food for an overnight or extended trip and cost split. Help cleanup and unpack on return while having a quiet beer and discussing the next trip.

We started school together 50 years ago and are still best mates. After all the years of fishing and shooting trips, borrowing money off each other in hard times and forgetting to pay it back { never asked for either} who cares who owes who what.

True mates are hard to find and I am lucky to have a mate like him, But not as lucky as he is to have a MATE LIKE ME ;D

RAT-KING
29-06-2008, 04:57 PM
Hey Craig its a great call!!!!!
Its my boat my car my bait mainly my plastix etc...
Ive had my mates for 15 yrs I live on the north side they live on the south side and countless times ive picked them up dropped them off and weve bn fishing in my area of town ud think it would get easier the longer u know someone to talk about this sort of thing :-X 3/4 of the time they dont even chip in 4 petrol:-X and dont get me started about the cleaning!!!!>:( Im only on apprentice wages by the time u ad everything up the cost of going out in a 4.1 tinny with a 30 merc is well over $100:o Maybe Im a d*&% head but I would of thought u wouldn't have 2 ask I rop hints but its not enough dont get me wrong I dont need them i can doit al by mysef but its nice 2 have somebody to fish with!!!! MAybe i should advertise a spare spot on my boat:o Good luck with ur problem!!!

Cheers Simon

blackjack
29-06-2008, 06:40 PM
hmmm..... i can feel a book of fishing etiquette coming on...
jen

scrubba01
09-07-2008, 11:34 AM
regards

I have seen a sign on the back door of a boat it read

Gas, Grass or Ass Everydody Pays.

the gecko
09-07-2008, 01:12 PM
Considering the wide range of costs and distance, I think the big question is "would you be going anyway, even if the mate was not?" If you would go anyway, then I couldnt accept money from a mate.

My mates have already done me some big favours, and Ive done them some, saving them $thousands. (I saved a mate 10k only last month). We dont worry about 50-100 bucks. It all evens out in the long run.

Im sure its different for game fishos, but were just mates having a fish. Whats money?

Andrew

Cheech
09-07-2008, 01:24 PM
Good one gecko. We all thought this thread was finally dead. Has been done to death anyway.

2manylures
09-07-2008, 10:23 PM
Good true friends always pay equal shares or at least offer.

It's a good feeling to be in a position to be able to either accept or reject an offer.

So often we reject petty cash minor currency offers then when it comes to larger amounts of funding we are too used to rejecting & quite often don't know how to accept after time.

Ground rules up front avoids dissapointment & the possibility of losing good true friends which are bloody hard to come by. Parasites are on every corner.

Last but by no means least, I don't & never will lend any of my fishing gear to anyone, not even the missus.