PDA

View Full Version : pro challenger reels

nautical prince
17-06-2008, 06:52 PM
hey fellas was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the over head range of this brand i have a guy trying to sell me some at a good price so it seems
Cheers lance

Tony_P
17-06-2008, 07:03 PM
double post

Tony_P
17-06-2008, 07:06 PM
Hi Nautical Prince,
I've used Pro Challenger Overheads reels on Mono's Fishing Charter when they were running before. I was quite impressed with the reels and used them for both trolling and bottom bouncing. If Mono see's your thread he would be a more suitable person to comment on this topic as he would of used them everyday.

Cheers Tony P

mono
17-06-2008, 09:23 PM
Hi Lance, as Tony said, I used them, before retiring from charter work, for about the last 18 months on my charter vessel.
They copped a fair old workout on everything from wahoo, marlin, mackerel to deepwater brutes like Amberjack, sampson fish, kingfish ect.
I have about 10 of them and think they are good value for money.
Having said that, just remember they are much cheaper than a Penn or shimano similar sized reel so dont expect the same quality drag ect.
They used to have a really good warranty on them - not sure if it still applies.
I ran braid and mono on them and they performed well wth both.
Some of mine arent as good as they should bebecause of lack of maintanance but thats my fault. If you give them a good clean after every trip and service them regularly I dont think you will have a problem.
The only problem I had with them was sometimes the drag would start to slip after a long fight with Big fish that I'm sure werent meant to be caught using these reels!!
Overall rating- If you look after them they are good value for money in my opinion.

How are you going Tony? hope you and your dad are well and hooking into some good fish.

Cheers

nautical prince
18-06-2008, 01:17 PM
Cheers fellas i think my minds made up ill give em a go:D