PDA

View Full Version : Is Ken Brown still around?

charleville
17-06-2008, 06:44 PM
There was a time when I used to access forecasts, tidal info and fishing reports via Brownie's Coastwatch site. For whatever reason, I no longer do that but just out of curiosity, I lobbed into it today just to have a look at what is there now.

Mostly I saw advertisements, links to Channel 7, 4KQ and the Courier-Mail, a lot of old stuff about Brownie, his boats, his beach buggy etc, the BOM Radar and the usual Sunday-Mail style fishing reports but I could not access anything else. So I googled "Coastwatch" and got a second page with tabs which should have taken me to a range of usable info but none of the tabs worked.

Obviously, the site is now in a state of disrepair. Is Brownie still around? Is he still doing his 4KQ spots?

Foxy4
17-06-2008, 06:46 PM
Yep He still does the 4KQ spots

mowerman
17-06-2008, 06:49 PM
Who cares.

EPA hack

Rod

seatime
17-06-2008, 08:04 PM
Who cares.

EPA hack

Rod

Yeah, I'll 2nd that.

Don't care if he's ever seen of, or heard of, again.

Seahorse
17-06-2008, 08:09 PM
prob in manly harb giving report on the bay.

Smithy
19-06-2008, 05:29 PM
This last summer season he was skippering a Deep V 340 nearly every day the weather was good out of Mooloolaba called Lethal till only a few weeks ago. Heard on the grapevine it may have been sold. Time will tell.

Rodman
20-06-2008, 10:55 AM
Mate he is so full of himself and I agree who cares

Ken

jez and suze
20-06-2008, 05:31 PM
why is everyone so shitty with him?
he seems fine to me, he is also my neighbour.

mowerman
21-06-2008, 03:36 PM
Paid by the epa to make them look like knights in shinning armor.

Men in green tights more like it.

Rod

eotbmg
21-06-2008, 10:17 PM
Some more elaboration may be necessary here for those not in the know, as i have no idea . Any one keen to speak????? Maybe a fair argument for Brownies sake!
Thanks
Ben

tigermullet
21-06-2008, 10:42 PM
Could be wrong but last I heard he was in Newcastle co-managing a 711 store with Elvis.;)

Mtx
23-06-2008, 07:05 PM
he was at tosser turner's funeral today at suncorp stadium. Noticed him on tv.

PADDLES
24-06-2008, 02:06 PM
is the 711 owned by salman rushdie tm?

tigermullet
24-06-2008, 06:40 PM
;D It might be so but, if Ken was up in Brisbane a few days ago, Elvis must be working overtime.

May the blessings of Allah be upon you.;D

Horse
24-06-2008, 07:51 PM
Someone has to chew up the EPA's promotional budget and I would prefer it to be Ken rather than some Greenie writer or painter. He probably lost a lot of credibility with the informed few but I bet he is laughing all the way to the bank. He did a lot for rec boating when he was on top off his game and should be given credit for his contribution

Neil

finding_time
24-06-2008, 11:05 PM
Some more elaboration may be necessary here for those not in the know, as i have no idea . Any one keen to speak????? Maybe a fair argument for Brownies sake!
Thanks
Ben

Well IMHO he basically sold out all the fisherman who have supported his reports and internet site for a fist full of the EPA'S cash!! I wouldn't use his carcase for shark bait!! Just my opinion though!!;D ;D

Ian

charleville
25-06-2008, 12:07 AM
Someone has to chew up the EPA's promotional budget and I would prefer it to be Ken rather than some Greenie writer or painter. He probably lost a lot of credibility with the informed few but I bet he is laughing all the way to the bank. He did a lot for rec boating when he was on top off his game and should be given credit for his contribution

I agree and must admit to wondering what he would have to do to redeem himself in view of the strongly expressed opinions about him on this site.

I don't know the man personally but I used to enjoy his little TV news segment just as I used to enjoy Nugget's and indeed, there was a time when I would not set out into Moreton Bay without hearing Ken's skilled interpretation of the BoM forecast as to what it really meant for a small boat on Moreton Bay. His legacy of the Beacon-to-Beacon guidebook has to be one of the greatest contributions to recreational boating safety that any Queenslander has made, notwithstanding that his interest in it was commercial in nature.

Having seen his website in such a poor state of disrepair, I had wondered if he was likewise as I recall that he had dropped his activities back a bit because of poor health.

tigermullet
25-06-2008, 12:57 AM
All jokes aside, I agree with you Charleville. The only thing that I knew about him came from his TV presence and the Beacon to Beacon. He seems to have a pleasant personality and his weather assessments were really quite good.

Taking him at face value and not knowing anything about involvement with the EPA, I was sorry to see him go.

Many other weather 'experts' on TV haven't got much of a clue. Fortunately there a couple of good ones still there but Ken seemed to be on top of the game.

jez and suze
25-06-2008, 06:28 AM
he lives just up the road from me and i remember a few years back racing home in my car to catch his report.....when i got to the round about i had to give way to brownie as he was rushing to get down the harbour and do the report.....he could have just yelled it out to me as we went round.

seatime
25-06-2008, 07:56 AM
The only similarity between Brownies "Beacon to Beacon" and the MSQ one today, is the name. When he had it, it sold about 3,000 copies, MSQ has owned it for 6 years and their last edition sold nearly 40,000 copies.
Now you can actually use the B2B for navigation, it's an excepted navigation tool and a model which other states want to copy for themselves. The 4th MSQ edition will even improve on the last.

trueblue
25-06-2008, 08:16 AM
what exactly did he do with / for the EPA?

kokomo
29-06-2008, 06:16 PM
'cash for comment'

-spiro-
29-06-2008, 10:15 PM
why is everyone so shitty with him?
he seems fine to me, he is also my neighbour.

LMFAO ......;D ;D ;D ;D