PDA

View Full Version : 30-40HP Tiller

Leighton
17-06-2008, 06:31 PM
Looking into the second hand boat market and there seems to be plenty of Mariner and Tohatsu 30 and 40HP 2 Strokes on the market. Some pull start others electric.
I am looking at getting a tinnie from about 4.2 to 4.6m, powered by a 30 to 40HP Motor.
I know the Merc, Mariner and Toh are basicly the same. There are also plenty of Yamaha, Merc and a few Suzuki's out there.
Just looking for peoples feed back on these motors both pull and electric start, pros and cons.
Probably looking towards 2 stroke over the 4 stroke. Cost and extra weight being the main reason, although I wouldnt discount a 4 banger.

Leighton

Keechie
17-06-2008, 06:43 PM
g'day, i have got a 1979 i think 30hp mariner on the back of my boat, its electric and starts everytime without hassel. this is just a bit of feedback as you asked i am not selling this product but i would recommend it.

regards,
keechie

bushbeachboy
17-06-2008, 06:57 PM
If your budget extends to it, get a motor with electric start & power trim & tilt. I have one in a 40HP Yammie 2s and it's a brilliant bit of kit. Far superior to the othe tillers I've owned that were all manual jobs.

I've owned Mariner, Mercury, Tohatsu motors as well, and can tell you they're all ok. The one I've got now is just that much better because if it's controls. The gear shift is right at the front end of the tiller, and the trim switch sits right under your left thumb if you drive from the starboard side.

A brilliant bit of kit and very convenient. Makes you day on the water so much more enjoyable. Just be aware of where the controls are, regardless of which motor you choose. If the gear shift is on the side of the motor, IMO it's a real pain in the butt, particularly when coming in to the ramp or a sandbar/beach etc.

Go the PTT mate.
Cheers
BBB

MeePee_99
17-06-2008, 07:12 PM
Hi i got a 2008 30hp mercury efi fourstroke electric start, electric trim tilt absolutely brilliant. If you can afford one get one.

TheSaint
17-06-2008, 07:30 PM
Get the max hp on the boat!!! then try to fit the features into your budget..

Leighton
17-06-2008, 07:31 PM
Hi i got a 2008 30hp mercury efi fourstroke electric start, electric trim tilt absolutely brilliant. If you can afford one get one.
A 4 stroke would be nice but I am at the mercy of the second hand boat market, not to many around in my price range.

MeePee_99
17-06-2008, 07:34 PM
If you can get a second hand one with electric trim and tilt it makes driving a hell of a lot easier

Bowser
17-06-2008, 08:12 PM
Not knowing your budget makes it a little difficult, but the best advice I have is get a motor as new as possible and don't be to worried about the age of the hull. Certainly have it checked out for leaks, split welds etc but tinnies do last a bloody long time and in a lot of cases the basic hull shape remains the same for years. Motors however are generally better the newer they are. If you can stretch to it, buy an older hull and put a new motor on the back. You should be able to get a 30hp high tech Yammie for around four and a half. This is the other thing to check out on the motors, not sure of the models in other ranges but Yammie have a couple of ranges. The CV range tends to transmit a lot more vibration then the high tech 3 carb models resulting in much higher helmsman fatigue and generally a less pleasant day for the family on the water. Get to know the differences in the models and the effects these have on comfort before deciding.

Silverslug
17-06-2008, 08:14 PM
Looking into the second hand boat market and there seems to be plenty of Mariner and Tohatsu 30 and 40HP 2 Strokes on the market. Some pull start others electric.
I am looking at getting a tinnie from about 4.2 to 4.6m, powered by a 30 to 40HP Motor.
I know the Merc, Mariner and Toh are basicly the same. There are also plenty of Yamaha, Merc and a few Suzuki's out there.
Just looking for peoples feed back on these motors both pull and electric start, pros and cons.
Probably looking towards 2 stroke over the 4 stroke. Cost and extra weight being the main reason, although I wouldnt discount a 4 banger.

Leighton
Hi, just upgrading to 40 Etec replacing a 40 HP Mariner Tiller steer 3 cylinder 2001 model, USA not Tohatsu weight approx 85kg, on a 4.2 Stessco Catcher. The boat has a bit of weight with full floor, side pockets, rails and usually 2 fat fisherman(nocking on the door of 120kg each).Top speed was in the range of 45 klms hour , but cruised around 30/33 klms an hour, i was pushing a 13inch prop but probably should have had a 12inch as getting out of the hole was a bit sluggish, but once on plan had heaps of power.It is a Bloody good motor it is for sale, Hope this is helpful . Silverslug

catfishkid
17-06-2008, 08:37 PM
I have a 2007 40hp Tohatsu,manual start on a stessco 4.2 catcher rv,I cant fault the motor in any way,always starts,(Takes 3 or 4 pulls on initial start up,the rest of the day !st go,my 14yo son has no probs pull starting it),I would like the power tilt & trim for convienience but can live without it.I would agree with getting the newest motor you can is the best bet no matter what brand.

Cheers Craig

Leighton
17-06-2008, 08:59 PM
How is the economy and noise Catfish? There seem to be enough Tohatsu's on the market

dreemon
17-06-2008, 09:00 PM
you'll want the 40 after you've had the 30, and just a clean checked motor

dan sheard
17-06-2008, 09:06 PM
had a yamaha cv 30 on a 4.2meter open tinny and could not kill it

catfishkid
17-06-2008, 10:02 PM
Economy is fine,i tend to run around at full noise most of he time because i can,most of the time i get two or three trips from a 25l tank,I carry a spare tank but have never gone through a full tank in one days fishing,
It isnt the quietest motor going around but not the noisiest either.
This is my second tohatsu,I bought a brand new 2006 18hp and had it on a 12 ft brooker tinny,I would hapily recomend a Tohatsu every day of the week for reliability.

Cheers Craig.

Silverslug
17-06-2008, 10:09 PM
Just a follw up to the previous reply. The 40 Mariner didnt have TNT , trying to find one to fit was like trying to find rocking horse crap,(new one was quoted $1600.00. Had after market electric start fitted, much easier than pull start. started easily either way (manual or electric.) Had a new 30 HP Suzuki(August 06) on before the Mariner, came up short once boat was loaded.To give you an idea of new prices local Yammy dealer quoted $5800.00 for a 40 tiller ecet start, Trim and Tilt. 2Stroke not 4 Stroke. Got a superceded 40 ETEC for just over $6000.00 You can get a deal if you can find a dealer that wants to help you rather than rely on a brands reputation to sell. Trying to help a fellow boaty. The Slug

Lancair
18-06-2008, 01:50 PM
Leighton,
All sound advice above. Aim for a newer 40hp, with electric start and TNT. Id gor for TnT before electric start if it came down to a choice. It makes driving a tinny SO SO much easier when you can trim for load and conditions, on the fly. I cant imagine not having it now.

Silverslug,
What do you mean by "superceded Etec40" ? I wasnt aware a new or revised model had been made ? Not that I care really, I love mine. Just oer $6000 is a GREAT deal. How doesyour catcher go now with the Etec on it ? What prop do you have fitted ?

Catfishkid,
What top speed do you get 1 up ? Is yours the TLDI 40 ? When you say two or three trips from one tank and run around at full noise, what sort of distance are we talking ?

If I run around, 1 up with esky and gear for one, at full noise in my Catcher and Etec40 with a 13 3/8 X 17 Evinrude SST prop, Im hitting between 55-63km/h (depending on wind, chop and current) and using about 16-17L/hr. But if I back off to 42-45km/h the fuel use drops to around 8-10L/hr.

Cheers

Andrew

killerkiwi
18-06-2008, 06:09 PM
where does one find second hand motors? Looking to replace a 1970 40hp evinrude "lark" (currently on an old but very cute 1974 Pongrass 1/2 cabin) hasnt been started in 4 years so dont even know if it runs!!!

Leighton
18-06-2008, 06:34 PM
try the trading Post

MyEscape
19-06-2008, 05:20 AM
My new Yamaha 40hp electric start with trim and tilt is just brilliant. To be honest I'm not sure what it was worth individually as I bought it as a package deal.

Steve

catfishkid
19-06-2008, 05:48 PM
[ Catfishkid,
What top speed do you get 1 up ? Is yours the TLDI 40 ? When you say two or three trips from one tank and run around at full noise, what sort of distance are we talking ?

Cheers

Andrew[/quote]

Normaly I have my son with me and maybe a mate,I have a large livewell under the front casting deck as well as a deep cycle batery for the electric so there is plenty of weight up front.distance would be at least 60klms from a 25l tank,top speed is about 27 knots,but I do get a lot better economy at about 22 knots.My motor is the tripple carb 3cyl not EFI but I bought the boat with this motor at about 20hrs and I am very happy with it,if I changed motors I would seriously consider the etec.I am looking at changint the original prop at the moment to a 12p solas.

Cheers Craig.

Skusto
19-06-2008, 06:33 PM
weve had tohatsu mercs and yamaha and to be honest the mercs(tohatsu) model are cheaper then the yamaha's and u can notice it considerably. the yamaha in the 2 stroke are a better engine and smoother.