PDA

View Full Version : Stessco / 4 Seasons question

Mindi
17-06-2008, 06:23 PM
Has anybody got a Stessco or 4Seasons (same thing) Albacore Centre Console FS485 or FS510..?

BOMBIE
20-06-2008, 09:50 PM
No but we have a 5.3 funseeker is yours breaking/peeling /falling apart too !!!

Mindi
21-06-2008, 01:22 PM
No but we have a 5.3 funseeker is yours breaking/peeling /falling apart too !!!

Bombie
Well i was trying to find out whether the "quality" questions were real or not...sounds like they are from your question. Would like to hear more if you are unhappy ...PM if you dont want to post. Thanks for the reply.

BOMBIE
21-06-2008, 06:50 PM
unhappy WOULD NOT be a good enough decription

samsnap
21-06-2008, 09:50 PM
Mindi, We have a 6.25 Centre cab (4 seasons) and haven't had any problems with it (bought Oct 07) - we have done a few runs to Moreton etc & Flinders & have been quite happy. It is down to price as usual I supose - We also had a 5mtr 4seasons Cuddy Cab for 3 years & had not one problem with it - did a lot a bay work - over to Moreton heaps of times in that one & was very happy with it - no cracked welds & the paint was ok & it rode like any other tinny. For the money you pay for the Brand we think they are ok - you get what you pay for. Feel free to ask any other Questions. Bombie sorry to hear you got a "toadfish" What happened (so I can be careful with mine!) Cheers Sammy

BOMBIE
21-06-2008, 10:53 PM
Sammy please be watchful only took 7 weeks & 8hrs before ours started to play up 05 model but by there "repair "" job we doubt it. know of 3 others that are the same with simular manufactures responce 0 Bombie

samsnap
22-06-2008, 08:27 AM
Bombie - I presume you are talking about welds cracking? - are they all cracking in the same area? I have a small daughter that comes out with me - hence I went for a "big deep boat" for safety reasons - now I'm just a bit suss (the mother/woman side of me breakin through)- any info please would be great - you can PM me if you don't wish the world to know. Sitting here lookin at this wind and beautiful sunny sky - typical!! Have a good one. Sammy

Lancair
22-06-2008, 09:20 AM
Seems to me that all the complaints about Stessco/Four Seasons welds actually cracking etc are on boats made in 05' or earlier ?

My Stessco (a 4.2m Catcher) is a 07' build and tough as so far. Well over 100 hours motor time in some very ordinary conditins inc wind against tide in Southern Moreton bay and offshore trips.

Sorry to hear of your problems Bombie.

Andrew

Mindi
22-06-2008, 01:50 PM
Good point Lancair...there are really bad stories and really good ones...and it does seem likely that some manufacturing problems happened a few years ago. That does happen, but what matters more is how the mfr deals with it. The common theme here is that the customers unlucky enough to have problems have had great difficulty getting product support...and that worries me more than some weld cracks in alloy which can be quickly repaired and repainted with good will and a supportive manufacturer. Think I will look elsewhere even tho the product is very close to my spec.

FNQCairns
22-06-2008, 03:18 PM
Good point Lancair...there are really bad stories and really good ones...and it does seem likely that some manufacturing problems happened a few years ago. That does happen, but what matters more is how the mfr deals with it. The common theme here is that the customers unlucky enough to have problems have had great difficulty getting product support...and that worries me more than some weld cracks in alloy which can be quickly repaired and repainted with good will and a supportive manufacturer. Think I will look elsewhere even tho the product is very close to my spec.

Yeah it doesn't matter how great the boat could be, if the manufacturer will not bend over backwards to fix the not so great they are always best left alone or for some poor dupe who doesn't do his homework, been lots of woeful story's on Ausfish over the years.

cheers fnq

pursuit001
22-06-2008, 05:10 PM
i own a 07 ozcraft with is a stessco my welds are great there a tuff boat ive put it through some ruff stuff 1 metre etc and held her open throttle through some big stuff had it seven months and no cracks yet every boat will split soon or a later no matter what it is . very happy with mine and have had 2 stesscos so far

stesslecc60
22-06-2008, 05:47 PM
I bought an "04" 625 4 seasons centre cab and am loving it, it has been used for charter fishing out of Tin Can Bay, regularly across the wide bay bar in all sorts of sea's and she's holding up fine!! ;)

samson
22-06-2008, 05:57 PM
mate owned a 5.2m four seasons a couple of years ago i know why they call them four seasons because thats as long as they last, sold mine for scrap metal after 14 months they only put three mill on the bottom and the structure is very bad and once those problems start they accumilate i had full length splits along the stringer on the bottom and all the way on the chimes the hole concole colapsed through the floor and the anchor well fell in and collapsed add to that pretty well every weld cracked or snapped ribs it was a nightmare a very dangerous boat and being only 3mil you just can't weld it for repairs its just to thin put your money into somthing that will last like a plate boat.

Lancair
22-06-2008, 06:05 PM
Mindi,
Customer service etc is a big thing I agree. Ive heard its woefull, I even copped an earfull from some woman there when I rang to ask how long my boat was taking to make.
My decision came down to dollars. Get the Stessco and I can get the Etec plus GPS/sounder etc, get virtually any other brand of boat in the same 4.2m deep V config and all I could afford was a basic 2 stroke tohatsu or yamaha and no extras. I know theres nothing wrong with those engines, except they're NOT very environmentally friendly and chew more fuel than the Etec by a fair whack and for me those were two BIG things.

Andrew

BOMBIE
23-06-2008, 11:03 PM
yeah fellas here we go again, our 5.3 mtr 2005 model , 7weeks after buying the thing it started to peel & crack / welds breaking we have spent 3.5 years BATTLING with this mob {stessco/4seasons} all our fault ?? and even when they were told by the BAIQ to reply/answer to there questions it took not 7 days as required but 22 days for them to reply to there watchdog body. This mob answer/care about knowone after you spend your hard earned this is why no dealers in CQ it seems to a good thing till/when they play up then ............ BOMBIE

skipalong
24-06-2008, 03:15 PM
they have come a long way, enen with there varied designs

BOMBIE
24-06-2008, 09:51 PM
skipalong it doesnt matter if they have "come a long way"in 88/98 or08 quality/pride in construction & with NO manufactors support why go there when blokes like Mr T s is battling he obviously supports his products/customers by the lastest responces

RoboCQ
17-08-2008, 05:57 PM
Find it hard to believe that some people say STESSCO/FOURSEASONS are good for the money they are in my mind a piece of crap(having repaired them) , you have to think about SAFETY FIRST i dont want to be shark shit for nobody

Thanks Robocq

RoboCQ
17-08-2008, 06:00 PM
Seems to me that all the complaints about Stessco/Four Seasons welds actually cracking etc are on boats made in 05' or earlier ?

My Stessco (a 4.2m Catcher) is a 07' build and tough as so far. Well over 100 hours motor time in some very ordinary conditins inc wind against tide in Southern Moreton bay and offshore trips.

Sorry to hear of your problems Bombie.

Andrew

Not true i know newish FOURSEASONS split and cracked all over the place?????
Not so much small boats like your 4.2 catcher but 5m plus models

Thanks Robocq

tin can marlin
17-08-2008, 07:20 PM
I think you will find that the oz craft is dearer then the stessco and that is why they have got no bad reports on them as they use tradesmaen on them and the cheaper loubours on the the stessco's so if you like the design have a look at he oz craft range.

BOMBIE
18-08-2008, 09:34 PM
RIGHT Tin can ,go buy off same bloke that ripped us last time DONT think so

Allison 189
29-08-2008, 05:00 PM
Mate my lad brought a Stecco and with in 8 to nine months cracks all through it. We tried to get some help from the manufacture but they would not come near us. Mate I would not touch a Stecco with a 40 foot barge pole. Cheap is not always the best and the warranty is not worth the paper it is written on.

Leighton
29-08-2008, 05:30 PM
I have a 4.2 Stessco Catcher 06
Could not be more happier, I purchased it off a mate as he needed some money fast. It has been a great boat for the both of us.
Offshore, around the Cape, Bar Crossing and some ordinary chop. Supprisingly dry for a tiller.
I am not partial to any particular brand, just the hull design, depth attracted me to the boat.
Maybe Stessco/ 4 Season issues are related to the heavier boats with larger H/P

pedrodepacus
29-08-2008, 06:28 PM
no offence tin can marlin but i had a look at a oz craft boat at kratzmans last wknd it was a black centre cab about 5.8 to 6 metre and it was very poorly built it had cracked welds underneath the gunnels and just looked like it had been built by a first year apprentice not a tradesman

Mindi
29-08-2008, 07:18 PM
I think you will find that the oz craft is dearer then the stessco and that is why they have got no bad reports on them as they use tradesmaen on them and the cheaper loubours on the the stessco's so if you like the design have a look at he oz craft range.

Sorry but I think this is a very optimistic view. Stessco/Ozcraft/4Seasons all come from the same floor.... they look to be exceptional value and to form an view of why they look like that you just have to read the postings here from many people...not just one...about how poorly/cheaply they are constructed. If it were not for this forum I would have been sucked in and bought a 5.0CC Albacore.... cant wait to order my Formosa....I dont think it is really a safety issue , presumably nobody has actually SUNK yet..? but who wants to find their new hull cracking and be shunned by Albo or anyone else..? too much grief...buy something with a good reputation.

BOMBIE
29-08-2008, 10:12 PM
MINDI & Pedrodepacus dont know you but THANK YOU its starting to sink in doesnt matter which name they use not good enough IS not good enough something about same dog less hair !!!!! ps still in touch with the minister

pedrodepacus
30-08-2008, 08:48 AM
bombie i have read your posts over the last few months and at times thought gees this guys not a happy camper ease up , i have a small little aluminium boat building buisiness .i looked at that boat pureley out of curiosity from some of yours and others comments on this forum.
the quality of the structural external welding was very poor i didnt bother looking inside to much id seen enough to form my opinion

BOMBIE
30-08-2008, 11:51 PM
Once again THANKS do a few hours/kms in one and then pull the floor up =stressco!!!!