PDA

View Full Version : Diawa Vienta (twitchbar) who's got one?

barrabart
17-06-2008, 08:49 AM
G'day all,

Who else owns one of these little Diawa reels, i've had mine for a year or so and fished only fresh water, i did catch a 79cm fresh water barra on it and it handled that fine, also caught a couple of smaller barra, stacks of sooties and black brim. So just wondering how other people have found them and what they have landed with them, plus any issues good or bad. Mine is paired up with a Shimano T-Curve, and i can flick lures with it all day.

barrabart
19-06-2008, 09:14 AM
What...............no one?????????
Must just be me with a bit of a twitch.......

bayfisher
19-06-2008, 06:17 PM
Jury is out on the twitching bar i think. I don't have a viento but did buy my self a megaforce (nice and cheap off ebay) just to see what this twitching bar is all about. I was actually surprised the reel itself is pretty good but I'm not sold on the twitching bar Ive used it with plastics and lipless crank baits but doubt it has caught me any more fish. I have actually found its more useful in taking up slack line easily without using you other hand.

Anyways thats my 2 cents ;D

Stumpy-USA
20-06-2008, 12:44 AM
I have one, and for the kind of fishing I do at my local lake it does a fine job.

Over here we do a lot of fishing with soft plastics rigged weedless. Mostly targeting submerged brush, rock piles and piers. Some of the lure setups we use are very light often in the 1/8th or 3/16th ounce range and tied on 6 - 8lb test line. When working the baits we let them hit bottom and twitch them in place making the tail of the soft plastic wave back and forth but not actually moving the bait along the bottom. The twitching bar is very useful in taking up the small amounts of slack line created by boat drift or when we actually do move the bait a few inches across the bottom.

I've caught many bass on it, with some up to 5 lbs., and a few hybrid stripe (they are very similar to a barra) up to about 25 lbs.

I have not had any problems with the reel after about 2 years of frequent use.

barrabart
22-06-2008, 08:56 AM
G'day Bayfisher & Stumpy
I mainly use the twitch bar for taking up slack line as well, i find the old habit of twitchin the rod still works the lure better, especially with braid and a full graphite rod, i also like how usable the reel is when using the smallest of freshwater lures through to the bigger Barra attractors. Anyway fellas thanks for the input.