PDA

View Full Version : Old guys have xtra skills

garman1
16-06-2008, 01:51 PM
Why is it that older guys have xtra skills....... years ago, a couple of us were out fishing, we had all the gear, bells and whistles, nice boat etc. We watched this old guy drag a wooden boat off a ute and slide it in the water, rowed out from the bank mind you .....rowing, come on. He was using a bamboo rod, with an alvey side cast reel............... we looked at each other and laughed. Then we stared as he started to pull in fish after fish after fish :o. He packed up his gear and started to row back to shore, he saw us and rowed over...... then....then, he offered us a couple of fish. That was the last straw, beaten by an old guy in a row boat using a bamboo rod. As he rowed away we snuck over to "his" spot and spent the next hour sitting there bored to tears.............. not even a nibble :-/ So much for the bells and whistles.......................................... ...................!!!

Why is it that older guys have xtra skills

Cheers Garry

Noelm
16-06-2008, 01:56 PM
probably knew when the tide was right and was using well presented fresh bait, did not have a "disco" going on in his Boat, just a simple guy in tune with Nature, works every time.

Scott nthQld
16-06-2008, 02:19 PM
HIt the nail on the head there Nagg. it's all about experience and knowing your area. It doesn't matter what gear you're using and how flash or expesive it is, local knowledge and experience will beat you everytime.

spears
16-06-2008, 04:09 PM
I have done this to many people when jetty fishing years ago.

Fish love fresh bait and when you go 25 kls to dig up your own bait then travel 25 back.
You land at the jetty and start pulling in fish one after the other while every one stands there looking at you and at no stage showing them a clear view of what bait is being used as they got none the same.

As I leave I look back as they scramble for that position and catch nothing..LOL
And yes i am old using old school tackle

Add comment
HEY who started this old thing

NAGG
16-06-2008, 07:31 PM
HIt the nail on the head there Nagg. it's all about experience and knowing your area. It doesn't matter what gear you're using and how flash or expesive it is, local knowledge and experience will beat you everytime.

No problem Scott:-/ ..... I better reply then
Without doubt a local that has probably fished that location 100s if not 1000s of times over many years ........ He knows the inns & outs of a ducks bum! ..... & what to do & when to do it

Now take him away from his home waters ...... & it wouldn't surprise me if he struggled!:(

Nagg

sid_fishes
16-06-2008, 07:55 PM
nagg, mate a truer word has not been spoken. for years i watched my grandad fish for blackfish on the tuncurry side of the breakwall. to this day i dont see to many poeple catching fish there[ me also]i try everytime i,m down that way. old guys know so much cause they have been there so much

Little grey men
17-06-2008, 09:13 AM
The old boy might have been using some pretty dodgy old gear. It would have certainly been up to the job at hand but the advantage that he had was what was stored deep down in his crafty old brain.
He would have had all of the pieces of the puzzle put in the right places. He could read the water and he would have been alerted to the goings on around him.
There's always more to it than just chucking a bait into the water and hoping for the best. Think like a fish and you'll have a better chance of seeing some.
So much can be learned from fishing with older fishos.
He obviously new the place he was fishing as well....I know that if I fish out west with my old man, theres a good chance that he'll catch more yellowbelly than me, but if I take him bass fishing in Lake Samsonvale, I'd trounce him. That's not because I'm a better fisherman ( A long way from it ) it's because I've put in the hours and studied the techniques to give myself a half decent chance of getting fish from that place.

Steve B
17-06-2008, 12:59 PM
The old boy might have been using some pretty dodgy old gear. It would have certainly been up to the job at hand but the advantage that he had was what was stored deep down in his crafty old brain.
He would have had all of the pieces of the puzzle put in the right places. He could read the water and he would have been alerted to the goings on around him.
There's always more to it than just chucking a bait into the water and hoping for the best. Think like a fish and you'll have a better chance of seeing some.
So much can be learned from fishing with older fishos.
He obviously new the place he was fishing as well....I know that if I fish out west with my old man, theres a good chance that he'll catch more yellowbelly than me, but if I take him bass fishing in Lake Samsonvale, I'd trounce him. That's not because I'm a better fisherman ( A long way from it ) it's because I've put in the hours and studied the techniques to give myself a half decent chance of getting fish from that place.

Exactly LGM, The fact this bloke is 'old' has nothing to do with it. He just knew his fishing for that spot. Knew the tides, bait, target species ..whatever.....he has probalby done if for years and mastered it....that comes with experience, skill and brains.....not nessesarilly age.

steve

mattooty
17-06-2008, 01:38 PM
The styles of fishing that this "little grey men" syndrome is most commonly associated with are 2 species, jewfish and blackfish! If you've ever watched a blackfisherman chasing their quarry and thought "hey they're getting a few, doesn't look to hard" only to try and fail miserably then you may as well join one of the largest unoffical clubs in fishing history. Its a style of fishing that most never grasp, few will, and even fewer still will get consistent results. And i'll be dammed if you can get much out of them.
Same goes for jewfisherman, the top anglers will tell you all you want about rigs, tides, baits and gear but try and ask them what tide works best at a particular spot and you'll come up against a brick wall. If they tell you about a spot, by all means give it a try but its the spots they tell you "don't try there" that will almost always be the top spots.
The jewfish in my sig came from the tutorial of a close mate (21) who learnt from his grandfather. When we went out he could pick schools of mullet in pitch black due to the tiniest of ripples, he told me there was a shark at our feet and sure enough i was bitten off soon after and then to top it off he told me that a jew was harrassing some mullet which i still was yet to see and that if i cast my livey there and leave it in free spool i'd get one... The proof is in the picture.