PDA

View Full Version : U explain new technology

spears
16-06-2008, 10:40 AM
I keep seeing the words new technology when comparing new style reels to the ones of yesteryear
Would someone like to give some input of what this new technology is.
Lets look at spinning reels being the most used around the world.

If you think you can answer this with something more that “its better mate”
As I’m sure there are other people interested in the reply’s

ant_72
16-06-2008, 12:22 PM
New technology refers to a lot of things, it can be a newer lighter alloy, it can refer to a newer way of laying the line on the spool, a new type of running gear. It does not refer to just one thing or one brand, and each brand will have its own name for its own system although it may be similair to another brands system.
These days it is a race between companies to produce the strongest, lightest, smoothest reel they can come up with. I hope this may help a little bit as it is not any easy topic to explain

Noelm
16-06-2008, 12:48 PM
I guess new Technology can be almost anything, the Reel itself is not new, been around for yonks, but as mentioned, newer materials, better spools, better bearings, all sorts of things can be advertised as "new technology" whether it is truely new or not is debatable, kind of like Braid, it is new, but in a kind of a way, the old lines of yesteryear (before Nylon) where a sort of braid, if you get what I mean, so can Braid be new technology??

NAGG
16-06-2008, 07:01 PM
Spears ..... I think the boys are summing it up pretty well
I think build materials are a big part of it ............. Mag alloys , Tungsten , better Aluminium grades , composites & titanium ........ these all help build reels that are as strong as the old cast frames ..... but much lighter
Cast Brass gears are replaced with precision machine cut ones ....... hollow bail arms , teflon coated bearings ....... not to mention sealed waterproof drags ( 7kgs out of a 2500 size reel)
Tolerances are much improved + with additional bearings = smoother reels

Yeh we have advanced a long way over the last 20 years

Nagg

tunaticer
16-06-2008, 07:49 PM
I think the one thing that has improved beyond most others is how effective good quality drags are these days. Of all the componentry in a reel this is the one area that has to be as good as it possibly can be.
Gearing, materials, lubricants, protective coatings, bearings etc theyall add to a quality build but without the good drag system the reel isnt going to be worth squat. Might as well keep that coke bottle and wrap some line around it.

Jack.

Horse
17-06-2008, 06:25 AM
I have found that smaller threadlines are lighter and yet more rigid. The spool occilation lays braid better, the drags are better protected and smoother with greater range. Gears are smoother with infinite antireverse. The only thing that does not seem to have improved on many is corrosion resistance as they get a lot of surface degredation if you do not clean them well and keep a can of Inox handy