PDA

View Full Version : Mako Craft 4.20 Estuary Tracker

jezz11
16-06-2008, 10:16 AM
Hi guys,

Just wondering if any of you guys have owned or been out in a Mako Craft estuary tracker?

What your thoughts on this rig? Im thinking about buying either this boat or a quintrex hornet trophy 400.

Any thoughts guys please??

Jerry

Noelm
16-06-2008, 10:50 AM
never seen one, but I doubt that anyone would actualy build a bad Boat these days, does it have the features you want? is it locally available to you? is the price right, if yes to these questions, then what are you waiting for? OH and the Quintrex is an OK Boat, there has been some grumblings about some quality issues, but then, what Boat doesn't these days?

Red60
17-06-2008, 08:52 AM
Hi Jezz,

I was looking at the Mako Craft estuary tracker. I took one for a test ride when they were 'Stessl', same hull company now run by the Stessl son and daughter rather than dad. They are beautifully built boats, and it was a very hard choice between the 435 ET and the 435 Tabs Territory. I ended up buying the tabs as I do a bit more bay work than river work, and at the time there was talk that Stessl was going to shutdown, this was while the ownership was being transferred to the son and daughter. I however still drool over the ET when I see one, and do at times regret it. I test drove one with a 30HP yammy 2 stroke. For such a small engine it did plane pretty quickly and rode very nicely with three on board, which is a credit to the hull design. It was exceptionally stable at rest, far more stable than the Tabs Territory. I do like the Hornets however when you directly compare one to the ET, the Mako craft is finished just that much nicer. Compare the welds, the massive amount of storage, especially with the extended deck and attention to detail. My opinion anyway, but I would highly recommend the Mako Craft ET. Don't make a decision until you go over each boat very carefully.

bushbeachboy
17-06-2008, 09:27 AM
Jezz,
Before you make your final decision, have a look and a ride in the Polycraft 4.1. If you want a bit more info, have a look at www.polyboatowners.com (http://www.polyboatowners.com) Quite a few of the members there are also member here at Ausfish. They are also a friendly crew, willing to answer questions etc.

I've got a 4.1 Polycraft with a 40 Yammy with PTT/elec start in a tiller model and just love it for river and estuary work. It has a brilliant ride, but never having been in an ET or a Hornet, I can't compare. The little poly does however ride a lot better than a Stacer 440 Seahorse I had before it, and that was a good-riding tinny. It's also quieter on the water, and very stable, although the EVO hull Stacer was stable too, better than the 435 Sea Jay SP I had before that.

In hindsight I should have bought the 4.5 poly, because I am a bit cautious about taking a punt hull to do some bay work, even though it is probably quite ok for that.

Cheers
BBB

jezz11
17-06-2008, 11:34 AM
Thanks Gents. Red60 would agree with you. The quality appeas to be so much better than a hornet. And i hear to many stories re quality of the hornet.

I go out regularly on a 435 hornet trophy and 445 and can say thay ride well although think im leaning towards the makocraft. Better value for money.....

Something to keep pondering on i think!!

Bushbeahc boy, thanks. Dont mind the plycraft, although just dont like the idea of owning a plastic boat. I have been out on one and they are great. I guess i am the old fashioned type... thanks for your input..

regards
Jerry