PDA

View Full Version : Marine ply V bunnings ply

TheRealAndy
16-06-2008, 08:33 AM
I am about to construct a casting deck for my boat. Just wondering if the bunnings ply will cut it or should I go for marine or form ply? If i treat the bunnings ply with bondcrete or epoxy will that do the trick?

Also, where can I find marine ply on the northside?

GBC
16-06-2008, 08:36 AM
Bunnings sells formply (17mm)- should be o.k. they'll also order anything you want

otherwise mister ply and wood

narangba timbers

Rodman
16-06-2008, 08:43 AM
Mate
I used normal ply and painted it top and bottom covered it in carpet and it has lasted in excess of four years

Ken

FNQCairns
16-06-2008, 09:02 AM
But the CD grade and coat it with something, uses the same glue as Marine, more voids but unless building a boat you cannot go wrong.

cheers fnq

Local_Guy
16-06-2008, 09:17 AM
why would u go to bunnings to buy ply, you don't know what your getting.

Go to old reliable Mitre 10 or Home Hardware, not only do you get service from people who know what they are talking about, but they sell Marine ply as standard for about $2 more than bunning's normal stuff.

Bunnings is a rip off.

TheRealAndy
16-06-2008, 09:33 AM
why would u go to bunnings to buy ply, you don't know what your getting.

Go to old reliable Mitre 10 or Home Hardware, not only do you get service from people who know what they are talking about, but they sell Marine ply as standard for about $2 more than bunning's normal stuff.

Bunnings is a rip off.

Cause bunnings has wiped out all the local hardware stores, so I have no choice. Dont worry, I detest bunnings. Would happily pay double to go to a quiter store. Would go trade stores, but you try to find one open on a sunday.

Reel Nauti
16-06-2008, 09:34 AM
Have bought heaps of ply from Bunnings for building decks etc for the boat. Excellent stuff, been in for years, never had a problem. I buy the 12mm. I've never found Mitre 10 or any other hardware shop cheaper than bunnings for the ply, and if you don't know what you're getting when you're standing there looking at it and rubbing your hands over it then you need to give the game away and get someone else to do it for you.

Just my thoughts

Dave

Scott nthQld
16-06-2008, 11:01 AM
The standard Bunnings CD Ply will be fine, lighter (due to species of timber) butthats to only difference, same glue and treatment as marine ply at less than 1/2 the cost. Just paint with Bondcrete diluted to 3:1 water:bondcrete.

I can honestly say that the bunnings ply is a good product (all bunning timber also comes from plantation forests, a renewable resource), and you will find that most timberyards will get there stock from the same suppliers so the comment of you don't know what you're getting, unless you've worked in the industry, totally unfounded.

Also I would really like to know how "good" this marine ply for $2 more than CD Ply is, you'll probably find its just standard CD ply with a maple veneer for looks, or its not marine ply at all, true marine ply is all harwood, such as maple, cedar, gum etc hence the extra cost.

With CD Ply you will get one 'good' side, where there will be no knots, cracks etc, obviously, this will be the face side of the sheet.

Mindi
16-06-2008, 02:30 PM
there is marine ply and marine ply...I occasionally build wooden boats and use 6mm and 4mm ply called Gaboon...the timber is african mahogany and it is laminated in Israel..the last sheet I bought some years ago was $120 approx for a standard 8 x 4 thin sheet and it is much more now ...but you just need outdoor ply and a couple of coats of decent marine grade varnish. Thin the first coat down by 10% with thinners or turps to get a good soak and then finish with a couple of normal coats. Will last for years . Bunnings and Mitre 10 just dont sell Marine Ply.

For Steve
16-06-2008, 02:37 PM
I've found construction ply to be fine for the job. Just paint the top and sides with exterior paint before sticking on the carpet.

Regards
Brad

ronnien
16-06-2008, 02:39 PM
did mine a couple of years ago used 17mm structre ply, thinned the first coat (oil based undercoat) so it gets sucked in & seals it than another coat of the same not thined out, finished with 2 coats of enamel paving paint than carpeted it still looks like new.

ron.

nutgunaspu
16-06-2008, 03:26 PM
I just replaced the floor and stringers in my 5m half cab using 12mm CD ply from Bunnings and can't fault it. At $35 bucks a sheet and sealed with a couple of coats of polyester resin theres no reason why it won't last for at least 20 years.

Roo
16-06-2008, 03:46 PM
doesn't matter where you buy it from.....its all the same product.
CD ply is the go, just seal it up real good and it will last for ages. unless you are spanning big openings, 12mm will be fine and keep the weight down.

Chimo
16-06-2008, 04:47 PM
Talking of different types of ply I think someone said you can source second hand construction ply. That would be just as good wouldnt it?

Lets face this stuff doesn't have to be pretty, it can be painted waterproofed etc and half the time its carpeted too to tart it up and the real crook side will be covered anyhow.

Is this sort of stuff available on the Gold Coast?

Cheers
Chimo

Breambuster33
16-06-2008, 04:49 PM
i used 17mm form ply on my deck.
sealed it up and works a treat

Dirtysanchez
16-06-2008, 04:59 PM
Mister Ply and wood, Granite street in Geebung (well it was last time I bought from him)

No need to buy marine ply unless you are building a timber yacht that is immersed in the water semi permanently..

stingau
16-06-2008, 05:55 PM
Talking of different types of ply I think someone said you can source second hand construction ply. That would be just as good wouldnt it?

Lets face this stuff doesn't have to be pretty, it can be painted waterproofed etc and half the time its carpeted too to tart it up and the real crook side will be covered anyhow.

Cheers
Chimo

Chimo I reccommended s/hand condtruction formply in another thread. RMD sells it and they used to have a branch on the gold coast as well as the sunshine coast. Check ya local phone book. Also you dont have to buy a full sheet if you dont need it. It is available in 300mm wide increments and either 600 900 1.2 1.5 1.8 2.1 and 2.4 long.

Regards

Steve

stingau
16-06-2008, 06:05 PM

Cheers
Chimo

Chimo I reccommended s/hand condtruction formply in another thread. RMD sells it and they used to have a branch on the gold coast as well as the sunshine coast. Check ya local phone book. Also you dont have to buy a full sheet if you dont need it. It is available in 300mm wide increments and either 600 900 1.2 1.5 1.8 2.1 and 2.4 long.

Regards

Steve

BM
16-06-2008, 07:53 PM
Why anyone would buy ply (or anything really) from a "convenience" hardware store amazes me..

If you want ply go to a Plyboard distributor, much cheaper than getting screwed (pun intended) at Bunnings or the like.

The reason marine ply is so much dearer is that the outer laminate layers of the ply have to be formed from one continuous roll of timber off the log which is not that easy to achieve in many case. Hence the higher cost. The one piece, seamless outer layers are as stated of better grade timber.

Cheers

Briz
16-06-2008, 08:09 PM
Won't really matter the grade of ply if you 'wet it out' throughly with epoxy - just make sure you you give it plenty on the edges so the end grain soaks the epoxy in - after coating give it another coat with with something that blocks out the uv damage (paint/varnish etc) and everything should be sweet for years to come.
cheers

Grand_Marlin
16-06-2008, 08:19 PM
I get all my ply from Mr. Ply & Wood.

Good prices, product is very good.

CD Ply is the timber I would use if I were doing the job for somebody... even when I replace floors or transoms it is the same timber used.

The main thing is to seal it, or it will rot.
So will marine ply if it isnt sealed... Marine ply is only used for its strength, NOT its waterproofing.

I use 2 coats of polyester resin, done about 4 - 6 hours apart, with no need for sanding between coats.

Check out these links for Mr Ply.

This is their main products page which will explain the diffierence between A,B,C & D finishes.

http://www.misterplywood.com.au/Products.aspx

This one is specifically on marine ply.

http://www.misterplywood.com.au/products.aspx?ProdID=270

Cheers

Pete

myusernam
06-08-2008, 09:51 AM
I get all my ply from Mr. Ply & Wood.

Good prices, product is very good.

CD Ply is the timber I would use if I were doing the job for somebody... even when I replace floors or transoms it is the same timber used.

The main thing is to seal it, or it will rot.
So will marine ply if it isnt sealed... Marine ply is only used for its strength, NOT its waterproofing.

I use 2 coats of polyester resin, done about 4 - 6 hours apart, with no need for sanding between coats.

Check out these links for Mr Ply.

This is their main products page which will explain the diffierence between A,B,C & D finishes.

http://www.misterplywood.com.au/Products.aspx

This one is specifically on marine ply.

http://www.misterplywood.com.au/products.aspx?ProdID=270

Cheers

Pete

o.k. so if you were doing the job on your own boat (dont have to be competitive in price) would you use marine ply? I had marine ply in the floor of my boat and had to chop up two panels. Now I am putting them back down again and am tossing up whether to use marine 12mm again or go cd ply. If marine is stronger and stiffer then I would probably lean towards that again. whatdya reckon??????????

bigjimg
06-08-2008, 09:58 PM
These are a few ply outlets in Brisbane Sharpes plywood Mister Ply and Wood
Brims Ply just to name a few.Or you can get the Facts about Plywood handbook
very Insightful' into the world of plywood.Email folk@plywoodassn.com.au.Jim