PDA

View Full Version : What Boat? your opinion please

skiper
15-06-2008, 07:09 PM
Hi I am in the market for a 2nd hand tinny I don't need anything flash as it will be kept and used only on the Maroochy river (I get sea sick ):'( .
What I need to know what are the benefit's of a punt over a tinny or vice verser.I will be using this by myself most of the time and I don't go far.
so what would you pick and why.
Thanks for you input.

kind_cir
15-06-2008, 08:20 PM
A punt will be more stable at rest, but you will get bashed around with a little chop on the river [ which is most days ]. Cheaper to buy s/h but harder to sell when comes time, and fewer on the s/h market.
A V nose punt will give the best of both worlds but are heaps dear to buy with few on the market, but faster to sell and hold resale well.
A traditional v tinny rides well, but less stable than a punt, allthough very stable all the same. Plenty on the market with a fair price, and ok at resale time.
IMO a traditional V tinny would give you best bang for your buck.

Please tell us what size boat and motor, type of fishing you wish to do, and also your price range, so we are able to help more.

skiper
15-06-2008, 08:48 PM
I have a Honda four stroke 2 hp,as I said I don't have far to go in it,(my fishing spots) so that suits me,as for what type of fishing estuary/river as for price,
I can afford a new tinny but thats not what I want as I have to leave it over the road,and the chance of a new one been stolen is a lot more than a older 2nd hand one .But the advice you have given me has been a help already, and if you have any more I would be grateful.
Thanks Skiper.

TonyM
15-06-2008, 09:56 PM
With a 2hp I'd go the punt option personally. You certainly won't be going fast enough for the banging to be a problem and you'll have maximum stability at rest.

Cheers
Tony

FNQCairns
15-06-2008, 10:21 PM
Yeah with 2hp as long as you don't think you will get a hankering for speed and buy a 6hp a traditional punt would be the go, less chance of it going walkabout too.

Wouldn't like your chances of keeping a V punt in your possession for real long pulled up on the beach.

If you think you will upgrade power plants sometime a V hull would be a good choice.

cheers fnq