PDA

View Full Version : Sooo, if you were going to Faust??

BR65
15-06-2008, 03:49 PM
where would you stay?
what are the ramps like?
where would you fish....and how

no spot X's asked for, just a shove in the right direction from those who know the good oil, youse blokes whove fished up there;D

any tips would be appreciated:o

cheers
brian

Tropicaltrout
15-06-2008, 04:33 PM
Hey brian, Camp Kanga, is the place to stay, much the same distance from the water as mondy, um the ramp much like the concrete ramp at mondy and places to fish well much like mondy knowing your style of fishing of getting in the sticks.... but call into proserpine Bait and tackle and see lindsay he will give you the tips on were and what to use.

Nath

NAGG
15-06-2008, 05:00 PM
Hey Brian

Kamp Kanga is the place to stay ...28901... Its ultra ultra basic accom ( demountable room with a bed/mattress & ceiling fan) .... but hey $12 / night / person 8-) There is a camp kitchen , hot showers & barbie
Its close to the dam .... 1 km ...... It has character plus you can go for a dip in the Proserpine river behind the place ( you can also camp there) All the characters stay there!!!!! Other than that you need to travel to Proserpine ( 20km ) & stay in the Caravan Pk

The ramp is really good ..... now that the dam has water28902

Fishing locations ....... Weed beds on the Western shore (slick rigs & I dare say frogs::) ....... I've seen fish there that get your blood flowing ) - You can find fish in the main basin ( look for bait balls & old standing timber) ..... There are a couple of big old trees in open water that are now well & truly under water
& then there are the trees (A GPS/plotter is helpful)....28900.... It makes mondy look like a cow paddock .... ( look for the old creek beds & some bulldozed paths ) ..... Use your Mondy tactics ....... Several people have told me to look for the birds in the timber :-/

Obi-Wan is the man ..... he has residency status

Cheers Chris

PS ..... I'd go out with Lindsay Dobe if possible

PPS ....Sorry for putting my mug in those pics ... but they give you an idea

Obi _ Wan
16-06-2008, 04:40 PM
Brian,
I guess what Chris says about residency status is almost right, when i arrive there its just like going home, every body seems to know you where ever you go in the town. People are great, just can't help enough, its a great place mate.

As they have all said Camp Kanga is the place to stay, great atmosphere, lots of good barra fishermen and their families stay there, a lot are there at the same time every year. Good to have a yarn and a few cold ones after a day out or a few reds after being out half the night.

The ramp is good and good parking, won't be so far to walk now there is around 65% in the lake. When the invitational is being held they have two on the ramp, pretty easy to do so no worries there.

The fishing? i guess like everywhere else it has its ups and downs, the last two years have been a little tough and the fish generally on the small size. Two or three years ago the average size was 110cms and looked like the pig swallowing fish you had as an avitar. Of course the condition of the fish fell with the falling water levels.
I can assure you that there are some fish in there that would blow your mind, i have lost a fish near the boat that i reckoned would have been about 140cms and over 80lbs. I know a bloke from Mackay who was trolling the main Basin with his son and the young fella got 150cm fish, just as well the CD Big Girls Don't Go Back wasn't out then and the fish was released.

Types of fishing---- Well you have the heavily timbered areas just like Mondy, you have weed beds out in the open water, along the banks and in the timber, bays, points, use your Mondy tactics and you won't go wrong. They also have what are called carrot tops, these are the small branched trees you see sticking out of the water, in places there are a lot, with alleys between them, the bait love to hide in these places, the smaller sticks are the attraction,the aim is to lob your lure into the middle of the carrot top (suspender) crank it down through the twigs, just clear of the brush and stop, the barra usually explode out and hammer the lure. You can do the same thing retrieving the lure through the alleys in the carrot tops.

Another good thing about the place is that it is only about 40k to the mouth of the Prossie river which has good numbers of barra, threadfin salmon plus other salt water species. Just check the tides first as they have some very big tides up there, i reckon you could surf some of the falling tides they run that hard, OH and yes watch out for MUD GECKOS, there are plenty in there.

Lindsay Dobe is the local (Prossie Bait and Tackle and guide) who will put you right on the right track, as i said before, the locals are great people and will go out of their way to help.

If you are going, ring first and book (Camp Kanga 49472600) prices are $168 a week, things have changed a bit in the last 12 months, apparently each donga has a single bed and a double bunk (three people) all with new mattresses. I take my 80litre car fridge freezer and plug it into the 240 volts in the donga, although there is a camp kitchen with a fridge if you want to share your stuff with everyone else who uses it, a few years ago a backpacker and his mate cleaned out the whole fridge, ate the bloody lot, they were nearly strung up!!!!

The Prossie River below the Camp has some nice sooties, huge mullet and some tarpon, saw a young bloke get a sootie about 4lb there a couple of years ago.

Mate if there is anything else you want to know about the place just ask i would only be too happy to help.

Cheers,
John.

Awoonga
16-06-2008, 06:54 PM
Just one one thing Brian....Pick me up on your way through

Obi _ Wan
16-06-2008, 07:57 PM
Trev,
Are you going up again this year????

I'll be there from 4th Oct to 25th Oct, intending to call off at Awoonga on the way back for a day or three. Still got August on my mind, not that far away!

Cheers,
John.

Steve B
16-06-2008, 09:06 PM
Brian, from what I have fished minimally at PFD I reckon if you employ your Monduran tactics you will be OK. I had good success on points in the open basin. and trolling thru the carrot tops the john described. thats fun trying to extricate fish out of!! Haven't been there for 3 years....plenty has changed fishing wises since then....and for me too.

when you going....I might be interested in being a deckie for you. It would be a good excuse for a bit of a prefish for ABT.

cheers steve

NAGG
16-06-2008, 09:55 PM
Brian, from what I have fished minimally at PFD I reckon if you employ your Monduran tactics you will be OK. I had good success on points in the open basin. and trolling thru the carrot tops the john described. thats fun trying to extricate fish out of!! Haven't been there for 3 years....plenty has changed fishing wises since then....and for me too.

when you going....I might be interested in being a deckie for you. It would be a good excuse for a bit of a prefish for ABT.

cheers steve

Steve ...... With all the water that has come in over the last 2 years , I reckon you'll get a shock ....... #3 years ago it would have been in the mid teens +% ( like my first trip) ..... last Oct it was mid 30s .... & looked so different ( thats the photo I put up)
Now ..... If Obis right (65%)........ The whole place would just about be carrot tops:o ...... It will be an interesting fishery

Chris

Obi _ Wan
16-06-2008, 10:48 PM
Just did a check on the Sun Water site:

As at 10/06/08 Peter Faust is sitting at 63%.

Still be the same Chris, just a bit further back, plus more under water stuff to navigate through, weed beds should be coming back if they have not already re-established themselves.

I have never been there twice and had the same water levels, seen it as low as around 10%, they had to put in a new ramp. This coming Oct i will see it with more water in it than i have seen before so the place will have to be sussed out yet again, one thing for sure is that the fish are there some where.

Cheers,
John.

Dicko
17-06-2008, 10:10 AM
63 %. that's good. I only get down there once a year, for the last 4 or 5 yrs. Don't think I've fished it that high.

Anyone got any recent pics of the boat ramp area for reference ?

BR65
17-06-2008, 06:43 PM
kickin round the idea of some time early next year steve
cheers
brian

NAGG
17-06-2008, 07:14 PM
kickin round the idea of some time early next year steve
cheers
brian

Hi Brian

FYI ...... The IBD sufferers world tour will be in March8-)

Chris

BR65
17-06-2008, 07:32 PM
Hi Brian

FYI ...... The IBD sufferers world tour will be in March8-)

Chris

hmmmmmmmmmmmm, ya could almost class march as "early next year" I spose mate.
Im doing the road trip one way or the other, just doin a little pre trip home work first;) .
Tried searching for a NQ version of ausfish with faust fishos as nutty as us down here, but couldn find anything current

NAGG
17-06-2008, 07:42 PM
hmmmmmmmmmmmm, ya could almost class march as "early next year" I spose mate.
Im doing the road trip one way or the other, just doin a little pre trip home work first;) .
Tried searching for a NQ version of ausfish with faust fishos as nutty as us down here, but couldn find anything current

So what are you thinking ...... What would you like to do ? Time away ?

Chris

Dicko
18-06-2008, 10:15 AM

Up to 3 or 4 yrs ago this place was full of faust. A search will probably dig up many old threads. With the emergance of Awoonga & Monduran in recent years, most southerners are taking advantage of the shorter drive, hence its dominance on here.

Fitzys site has some Faust info. Harro's old site had some good Faust/Barra discussions, dunno if those will ever see the light of day again.

Steve B
18-06-2008, 01:53 PM
Up to 3 or 4 yrs ago this place was full of faust. A search will probably dig up many old threads. With the emergance of Awoonga & Monduran in recent years, most southerners are taking advantage of the shorter drive, hence its dominance on here.

Fitzys site has some Faust info. Harro's old site had some good Faust/Barra discussions, dunno if those will ever see the light of day again.

Hey Dicko,

Your dead right about the local dams down here.....we might start talking up the Northern dams again. Good mate of mine fishes at a dam near mackay beginging with K...He reckons its the best dam in QLD, and from some of the stories I have seen and pics too,, I agree!!!...... By the way, your aviator is the best on here....I love it!!;D ;D
steve

BR65
18-06-2008, 07:26 PM
So what are you thinking ...... What would you like to do ? Time away ?

Chris

3 weeks for me, Ive conned, cajoled, coaxed the missus into that. I think she will be glad to see the back of me;)
Mondy for a couple of days to warm up the casting arm, I want to have a real crack at Awoonga next, maybe a week, then up the track to Faust, another week, again have a real fair dinkum go, thought Teemburra while Im up that way but motor restrictions??, would love Tinaroo, but just a smidge to far, Im gunna run out of time.
Have to finish with a couple of days at mondy on the way back to wind down, chill out and start thinking about the real world again.
Ute loaded up with engell, tent, esky and boat on back, yikes, sounds like a few trips I did when I was just a wee lad8-)

Thats me ruff game plan mate, havent even started to think bass or togas yet

NAGG
18-06-2008, 08:11 PM
3 weeks for me, Ive conned, cajoled, coaxed the missus into that. I think she will be glad to see the back of me;)
Mondy for a couple of days to warm up the casting arm, I want to have a real crack at Awoonga next, maybe a week, then up the track to Faust, another week, again have a real fair dinkum go, thought Teemburra while Im up that way but motor restrictions??, would love Tinaroo, but just a smidge to far, Im gunna run out of time.
Have to finish with a couple of days at mondy on the way back to wind down, chill out and start thinking about the real world again.
Ute loaded up with engell, tent, esky and boat on back, yikes, sounds like a few trips I did when I was just a wee lad8-)

Thats me ruff game plan mate, havent even started to think bass or togas yet

How did you manage 3 weeks .... & without the trouble & strife;D
Your itinery is very similar to what I have in mind ........
Tinaroo may be just too far ...... but Koombaloomba may fit

So will you do this on your own ?

Chris

Tropicaltrout
21-06-2008, 07:30 AM
Go hard Brian wish I could do the convoy up the hi way with you, but a week at mondy and another next year will see me out.

Man you will have a ball some good water to cover, and through this site you might be able to link up with a few ausfisher from near and far. Well mate get your trip planned and have a ball no dobt we will see a few more posts yet.

See ya on the water will be doing a couple of dashes to mondy on a friday night so might see ya up there.

Nath

Whitto
21-06-2008, 01:06 PM
You Lucky Lucky Ba.... Person..Not only are u going to do this u throwing it up in out collective faces.....Hangon got to get a tablet the IBC has just kicked in...I think I will go and have a lie down;D...Having said all that have a ripper Brian I know u will.......Can't wait for the reports on this trip not to mention the photo's....again u Lucky Lucky Bugger......Cheers Whitto:D

BR65
21-06-2008, 01:54 PM
How did you manage 3 weeks .... & without the trouble & strife;D
Your itinery is very similar to what I have in mind ........
Tinaroo may be just too far ...... but Koombaloomba may fit

So will you do this on your own ?

Chris

you know me mate, most trips are solo, my mates are keen, just not as keen as me sometimes:-[ but Im watchin and waitin on world tour dates, they might co-incide

NAGG
21-06-2008, 03:14 PM
you know me mate, most trips are solo, my mates are keen, just not as keen as me sometimes:-[ but Im watchin and waitin on world tour dates, they might co-incide

Hi Brian
A few people have asked ..... so I'll put it up later today
I just want to check on a couple of things

Chris