PDA

View Full Version : Launching

johnny roger
14-06-2008, 10:59 PM
Hi,
Just got me new 469 sunmaster. it is much higher than me old tinney, so was wonder how one would launch it off the trailer without getting wet. like in the old tinny, you would just walk along the side of the trailer, and pull the tinney off and pull the painter line to pull the boat to the shore. now that the new boat is much higher, and heavier, how would one get int the boat to drive it off? if your in an area with crocs about, you dont really want to be walking in the water to get in your boat. to get in it from the bow, you would have to climb up the draw bar of the trailer, and climb up onto the bow to get in the cockpit to drive it off. is there an easier way?
John

Lancair
15-06-2008, 09:11 AM
My boat isnt as big or nice as your nice new one, but I have a line tied to the bow, just longer than the trailer is. Push the boat off the trailer whilst hanging on to the bow line. Pull the boat back in beside the trailer. You need to have a little think about which way the wind/tide is going to push the boat and position the tailer or yourself on the ramp to make it easy, so you dont have to try to get the boat to move sideways without getting your feet wet.
Or ifI have some helpers, I do as you suggested, climb in over the bow and then they push the boat off. Thats far easier if you have a jetty to move the boat to. A lot depends on where you're launching. Some ramps are great, others a PITA to launch without getting wet. Ramps like Vic Point are great with a long jetty in between two lanes.

Enjoy your new boat, Im sure you'll always have volunteers to assist in launch and retrieve.

Andrew

Scott nthQld
15-06-2008, 01:47 PM
Ilaunch and retreive a 4.85 qunnie runabout on my own no worries, though admittedly, I do go to about knee deep in water. Instead of unhooking the winch, leave it hoooked up and push the boat back whilst the winch is out of gear, the winch should help with regulating how fast to boat drops off the back of the trailer. On shallw launches, wind the boat down off the trailer to avoid the dunk and maybe hitting the bottom. From there walk down the trailer,un hook the winch cable and move the boat off the the side, pulling it as far up as to can onto mud and tieing itoff somewhere so it doesn't float way while your parking the car.

As for crocs, it just comon sense. If you are going in the water to launch the baot, make sure that you are between the boat and waterline, and don't go too deep, knee deep will be more than enough to avoid the boat hitting bottom while waiting for the driver to return from parking etc.

johnny roger
15-06-2008, 05:42 PM
hey fellas thanks for all that. i took your advice and put it to practice today on tinaroo. it was just me and my 2 boys, and thankfully the missus wasn't with us as she likes to put her 2 bob in! but it was actually a shame she wasnt with us as she would have really enjoyed the new boat on the water.
anyway, tried to drive on drive off technique. the driving off was really easy. good thing i got Patrol with the spare wheel on the back door which allowed me to climb onto the bow. still working out the trim on the motor to give optimum performance etc.
now the retrieving at the end of the day was very very difficult. i had about 6 attempts at it, and everytime, the boat would not come in straight. well it would, then at thelast few meters before hitting the trailer, she would veer off to port or stbd, and the bow would end up on the trailer at a slight angle.
i definately need more practice with that. anyway, finally got her lined up properly and kept her ticking over while my oldest son hooked up and started winching. i have not idea how i am going to do this on my own, but i'll get there! i sometimes think that pulling her in with the painter and hookng up the winch the manual way would be easier??

Scott nthQld
15-06-2008, 05:54 PM
yeah heaps easier retreiving with the winch, There's no real need to drive on a tinny as their light and don't take long to winch in anyway. Min takes all of 1minute to winch on and if anyone has a whinge, well the impatient prick can wait.

black runner
15-06-2008, 09:52 PM
Winching on is by far the quickest and easist. Get together a permanent bow line(not your anchor rope) and stern lines (port and starboard) and make sure that they are always attached ready for use. Just be sure the free ends are coiled up and stowed securely. Fitting port and starboard stern cleats, if you don't already have them, are really worthwhile too. If I am by myself and it is a bit breezy I will often push the boat off the trailer and have hold of both a bow line and one stern line which will give you complete control once off the trailer. Same when you come in.

Cheers

Chimo
15-06-2008, 10:32 PM
John

Forget about driving on and off.

Use a line off the bow and have stern lines set up if you wish, need or ever choose to use them.

But do instal a walkway down the centre or just off centre on your trailer. You probably should have ordered it with the trailer but you may be able to get one from the dealer/ trailer manufacturer and then retro fit it. (Or fit a plank youself)

Simply use the walkway as a mobile jetty to enable you to walk to the end of the trailer and hook up prior to winching on. Just drown the last roller and you will find the boat comes on and off straight.

When loading park the boat on the up wind or up current side, back the trailer in and while holding the bow line simply push the boat straight out off the bank and let the wind or current move it towards the centreline rollers. Simply adjust your retrieve speed so the boat bow hits on the drowned roller and while holding the line tight walkdown the trailer and pick up the previously unwound but secured winch cable hook and connect it to the bow eye and walk up the trailer to the winch while holding the bow line secure and then winch the boat on and secure the "dee" and saftey chain before driving up the ramp. Extra people are not necessary and just get in the way.

By the way I use much the same method with my 2 tonne Vagabond usually on my own with no hassels except when I get back to the winch I press a button and the motor does the winding.!

Enjoy

Cheers
Chimo

johnny roger
15-06-2008, 10:43 PM
John

Forget about driving on and off.

Use a line off the bow and have stern lines set up if you wish, need or ever choose to use them.

But do instal a walkway down the centre or just off centre on your trailer. You probably should have ordered it with the trailer but you may be able to get one from the dealer/ trailer manufacturer and then retro fit it. (Or fit a plank youself)

Simply use the walkway as a mobile jetty to enable you to walk to the end of the trailer and hook up prior to winching on. Just drown the last roller and you will find the boat comes on and off straight.

When loading park the boat on the up wind or up current side, back the trailer in and while holding the bow line simply push the boat straight out off the bank and let the wind or current move it towards the centreline rollers. Simply adjust your retrieve speed so the boat bow hits on the drowned roller and while holding the line tight walkdown the trailer and pick up the previously unwound but secured winch cable hook and connect it to the bow eye and walk up the trailer to the winch while holding the bow line secure and then winch the boat on and secure the "dee" and saftey chain before driving up the ramp. Extra people are not necessary and just get in the way.

By the way I use much the same method with my 2 tonne Vagabond usually on my own with no hassels except when I get back to the winch I press a button and the motor does the winding.!

Enjoy

Cheers
Chimo

Chimo,
i had to read your technique a few times to get what you were saying. but in the end it makes sense, and seems to be a lot less stress and frustration. the trailer i have already has a walkway down one side of the keel rollers. i used to use your method with my old tinny, but always found that when you pulled the tinny over from the bank, the tinny would be at a 90 degree angle to the trailer, and i would have to winch it on at that angle and it would straighten up by itself by the time it reached the second roller. just thought i would try the drive on/off technique.
John

macca08
16-06-2008, 12:22 AM
No info on retrieving really, but just retreived new boat at Viccy Pt Ramp, wanted to do the drive on thing but baulked, had a couple of the Viccy Pt rats waiting around and they gave me push in right direction. Thanks for making it a little easier cheers

Chimo
16-06-2008, 12:13 PM
John

Theres your problem!!

You dont push the boat over to the trailer!

You use a long paynter, 20 or 30 ft even from the bow, and push the boat straight off the bank. Then you use the wind or current to push the boat as if it were to pass behind the trailer with you gently pulling the boat in at a slow speed that gets the bow to the last roller (that you drowned) just as the boat is moving past the trailer. If you do it correctly its perfectly lined up.

I also forgot to mention that I do most of this from up at the winch post where I have a hook that I then pass the line over as I move to the bow to connect the winch hook.

You now have a double line and some mechanical advantage to actually pull the boat partly up the trailer as you move to the bow to hook up.

Keep the line tight til you get back to the winch(noun) then winch (verb) (you got to luv the English language);) the boat onto the trailer.

As the winch takes over toss the payner to the side so it does not get fouled on the trailer.

Seems complicated but its not once you sort out the system and if your trailer is set up properly you dont need any help; unless theres a gale blowing!

Cheers
Chimo

Lancair
16-06-2008, 01:45 PM
Chimo,
I like your idea of a hook on the winch post to help you hold the bow on the first roller while you hook up the winch line.

Cheers

Andrew

Chimo
16-06-2008, 02:19 PM
Thanks Andrew

I've found it really helps as you can keep pressure on the bow and even pull it up a little using the mechanical advantage. And once the boat starts coming up right it just keep coming.

Chimo

For Steve
16-06-2008, 03:38 PM
It's heaps easier to board from the stern. By fixing a bow and stern line, you can turn the boat around to step onto the pod and push off. Just make sure your outboard and transducer aren't at risk of hitting the bottom.

Regards
Brad

johnny roger
16-06-2008, 08:38 PM
hey chimo,
thanks for that. pity you can't print all this info out and take it with me to the boat ramp...but then i would look pretty silly holding a hook, a painter, and a wet peice of paper with instructions on it! but thanks mate i will put it in my memory bank next time i go out. which could be a while as the missus has me doint bloody renovations! oh well...what goes around comes around. i got the new boat, i guess she is granted new bathrooms!
John

Chimo
16-06-2008, 09:52 PM
John

All is not lost, make a few models and you can practise in the bath in the old room and then as a refresher in the new one before taking the accountant out and just letting her sit on the bank enjoying the view while you do your stuff based on you bathroom practise.

Good thing you got the boat before the bathrooms. I always told my mates to get their boat before they had kids as otherwise it will be a few years given that it costs (or used to cost) about a 1/2 mill each to to get them fed, clothed, educated and out of the house.

Happy plumbing.....

Cheers
Chimo