PDA

View Full Version : Does Scotty Hillier forget his name?

stevea
14-06-2008, 06:06 PM
Is it just me or is anyone else sick of Scotty Hillier saying his name every time he is being filmed.

I dont mind his footage, but sick of his self promotion. I counted 5 times in 1 small episiode I watched the other day where he kept saying his own name.
I now watch any of his footage with the sound turned down.

FNQCairns
14-06-2008, 06:24 PM
Hillier seems more or less harmless though, which is the only place character can be built, annoying possibly but the lesser of two evils, just look at old rexy for the other side of the coin.

cheers fnq

stevea
14-06-2008, 06:32 PM
Hillier seems more or less harmless though, which is the only place character can be built, annoying possibly but the lesser of two evils, just look at old rexy for the other side of the coin.

cheers fnq
I agree he might be harmless,I enjoy his shows, but have put up for the last few years with being bombarded by his name every time I watch his shows. It annoys me.

(I have converted the same message in Scotty Speak below )

Steve agree's with you, Steve enjoys his shows, Steve has put up with the irriation for a while now,, Steve likes to watch his shows, but every time Steve watches his shows, Steve gets peeved about Scotty saying his Name. Its goodbye from Steve. (Get my drift)

Obi _ Wan
14-06-2008, 07:34 PM
No mate it's not just you!

I, like you don't mind the footage, in fact some of it is quite good, but the continuous, Scotty Hillier, Scotty Hillier drives me mad. I was talking about the same thing to an old fishing mate last week. Perhaps he has a very short memory and has to keep reminding himself just who he is??

Now i just MUTE the sound, makes a huge difference.

Cheers,
John.

BARRA73
14-06-2008, 07:59 PM
I couldn't agree more gents. He seems like a really good bloke but the calling of his own name is a bit bizarre. Maybe Channel 7 management need to have a quiet word with him. I saw a segment this afternoon and this post really hits the nail on the head. Good fishing segments and they promote QLD really well and as I said before he seems like a top bloke but I also hit the mute button when he hooks up. :-X

Oh Gee
14-06-2008, 08:03 PM
I don't have a problem with him repeating his own name. I just dont watch him.

Pistol_P
14-06-2008, 08:55 PM
Maybe he just loves himself....;D

I like the others enjoy the footage but yes Rexy was much worse.

Pete

bondy99
14-06-2008, 09:24 PM
In my observations of watching various fishing shows that have been on TV. there are quite a few presenters that often repeat their name. It might also be a case of informing the viewer as to who the are when they have only just tuned in. A bit different to hardcore people though, I would rather put up with Scott Hillier, ex Boating and Fisheries Patrol Officer, than an ex copper Rex Hunt who is very arragant and had on numerous occassions end his show by saying "I'm Rex Hunt, you're not". Until he received a lot of flack, he then altered it. He is full of himself compared to most others. That's my view and spin on this. Peter

Pelagic 660
14-06-2008, 10:13 PM
I try to focus on the fishing not the presenter. Maybe its just his gag and I guess its working cause we are all talking about him. Must be hard for him though- catching fish for a living, we should cut him some slack;D;D

bushbeachboy
15-06-2008, 06:56 AM
( your reply has nothing to do with the subject. ) Moderator.

MyEscape
15-06-2008, 06:59 AM
He's just loving his job. Get's excited about it. I wish I had half his luck!!

Steve

maztez
15-06-2008, 07:35 AM
Whatever you all think of him ,I reckon he's done a good job at promotion after all thats the name of the game "get people talking about it " and to me he has succeeded.
Good promotions Scotty Hillier.
cheers Terry

jez and suze
15-06-2008, 07:38 AM
i have hated the way he does that scince the first time i saw him. so when i hook a fish now i cant help sayin, "big jeremys got one!"

dogsbody
15-06-2008, 07:44 AM
Doesn't bother me at all. If I was catching fish like he does I'll be telling everyone Dogsbody's on to another one.

Try not to be so pedantic about it and just enjoy the fishing.

Dave.

Whitto
15-06-2008, 08:01 AM
Doesn't bother me at all. If I was catching fish like he does I'll be telling everyone Dogsbody's on to another one.

Try not to be so pedantic about it and just enjoy the fishing.

Dave. The difference is Dave the producers of the show could put you as their front man and u would catch the same fish.....all these show are based on charter local knowledge and that what makes him look like a champion.......Send him out in his own boat as Mr Average with a fishing mate and you wouldn't even call it entertainment.....It's what u and I call having fun......nothing special about this bloke.....he's just well setup........Whitto

reddybayfisher
15-06-2008, 08:07 AM
Fill me in - who is Scotty Hillier? What show is he in?

kitty_cat
15-06-2008, 08:56 AM
The difference is Dave the producers of the show could put you as their front man and u would catch the same fish.....all these show are based on charter local knowledge and that what makes him look like a champion.......Send him out in his own boat as Mr Average with a fishing mate and you wouldn't even call it entertainment.....It's what u and I call having fun......nothing special about this bloke.....he's just well setup........Whitto

MATE YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT
I KNOW SCOTTY AND HE IS THE REAL DEAL HE CAN FISH AND KNOWS HES STUFF
WHAT YOU SEE IS WHAT YOU GET WITH SCOTTY ON AND OFF THE CAMERA JUST A GUINIUNE GOOD BLOKE SOMEONE YOU WOULD GO TO THE PUB WITH AND A HAVE A BEER A TWO AND GARENNTED HAVE A GREAT TIME OR FISH WITH AS JUST A AVERAGE BLOKE (CAMERA OR No CAMERA) so pull your head IN JUST JELOUSE HES GOT A GREAT JOB
AND YES HE CATCHES FISH IN HES OWN BOAT
WAYNE

dogsbody
15-06-2008, 09:28 AM
The difference is Dave the producers of the show could put you as their front man and u would catch the same fish.....all these show are based on charter local knowledge and that what makes him look like a champion.......Send him out in his own boat as Mr Average with a fishing mate and you wouldn't even call it entertainment.....It's what u and I call having fun......nothing special about this bloke.....he's just well setup........Whitto

Of course they use local people to get them on fish. You can't send someone to a location and wait around till he gets it sussed, time is money and they got a show to do.

He looks like he's having plenty of fun and if you were having a fat time on my boat it would be entertaining for me.

Dave.

Whitto
15-06-2008, 09:31 AM
WHAT YOU SEE IS WHAT YOU GET WITH SCOTTY ON AND OFF THE CAMERA JUST A GUINIUNE GOOD BLOKE SOMEONE YOU WOULD GO TO THE PUB WITH AND A HAVE A BEER A TWO AND GARENNTED HAVE A GREAT TIME OR FISH WITH AS JUST A AVERAGE BLOKE (CAMERA OR No CAMERA) so pull your head IN JUST JELOUSE HES GOT A GREAT JOB
WAYNE Gee's Wayne there's no need to shout....looks like your a bit closer to Scotty than u would care to say......Id say your now feeling alot better after giving me Spray......Im trying to find where I said he wasn't a good guy and that he wasn't a good fisherman........maybe u should ask him why he hasn't done a segment from his own boat,it certainly would be more authentic........As far as pulling my head in, not going to happen we live in a democracy and that is my observation.....say G'Day to him for me next time your down the pub, he seems like a nice bloke........Whitto;D

insideout
15-06-2008, 09:46 AM
i laugh all the time he does this, not at him, but well, ok at him! But the way he does this is funny to the point that when me and my mates go fishing we emulate this behaviour to the point that all on board is him and use his name as our own, and act accordingly. Imitation is the highest accolade you can pay a person, and i say good on ya Scotty, you seem like a good bloke, and you are welcome on my boat anytime!!!

Greg P
15-06-2008, 09:46 AM
Ive seen him pull plenty from his own boat in the early days of C to C - was a long boat Goodwin or similar but why would he want too just fish in one spot. The show lets him travel and shows anyone can chase the same fish with the same guides etc - they dont try and pass it off as something else I thought. Ive been on a charter boat at the same time as he was (no cameras rolling) and he is the same. What you see is what you get.

He has a big personality - nothing wrong with that as it takes all types to make life interesting.

kitty_cat
15-06-2008, 09:48 AM
sorry mate caps locks suxs and wasnt intended to shout as yous computer guys know it as i just type, and yes i think creek to coast is doing great things for our industry and other fishing shows as well i will defend most anything to keep a good thing going ,as for fishing in hes boat its all work for him like you and me he does what the boss says like i said before hes just lucky to have a great job
wayne

Whitto
15-06-2008, 11:08 AM
sorry mate caps locks suxs and wasnt intended to shout as yous computer guys know it as i just type, and yes i think creek to coast is doing great things for our industry and other fishing shows as well i will defend most anything to keep a good thing going ,as for fishing in hes boat its all work for him like you and me he does what the boss says like i said before hes just lucky to have a great job
wayne
Don't worry about it for one moment Wayne, I would have done and said the same thing if a mate of mine was getting a geeup and was not around to defend himself....I think what happens is because some blokes are very different to us average joe's that they are prone to be singled out....a bit like Steve Irwin syndrome....and the tall poppy syndrome kicks in....anyhow no real harm done as I said he seems like a nice enough bloke and on reflection we would all like his job......Cheers Mate Whitto

reddybayfisher
15-06-2008, 11:38 AM
Fill me in - who is Scotty Hillier? What show is he in?

Don't worry - did a google on him......I have watched C to C and haven't even noticed....

Tropicaltrout
15-06-2008, 12:30 PM
He's an pain in the behind I will not watch him because of his love of himself. Look at all the other quality fishing shows they dont say there name a heap of times its plain stupid, I thought it was a joke the first time I saw him, but when I saw the next show I simply turned channel.

Hey we all have one we cant stand. Hes mine, and if he so happens to read threads on this whats your name again:grin: :grin:

mako101
15-06-2008, 12:48 PM
Must admit I have never seen the show or even know who Scotty Hillier is but I had a chuckle when I read this thread as when my and brother me went fishing last he told me about it, and how it annoys the crap out of him.
I thought then it was hilarious, in fact I do the same thing when I catch a fish, it is almost something you are totally unaware of since you are so full of excitement, thats all it is, in fact I do this when someone else catches a fish also, especially my nephews, tell them what a champ they are!!!, that i think this is the biggest snapper ever caught by man etc etc.
Its not an ego thing at all it is more the excitement of catching a fish and a bit of a joke to yourself how this makes you such a champion when of course its just a damn fish and how any idiot can catch a fish and often do!.;D

jeffo
15-06-2008, 01:14 PM
Having fished with Scott for a day shooting a story out here i can tell you he doesnt have dibs on himself, hes just a bloke who loves his fishing and gets excited with each and every fish (as we all should). He's a ball of engery on the boat and it makes for a great day on the water with plenty of laughs to boot.

Maybe there is a hint (or alot) of jealousy behind all the knockers?? I Dont blame you-after all i reckon Scott has one of the best jobs in the world.

I reckon Scotts segments are some of the best fishing clips going around- he keeps it simple, doesnt pretend to know it all and just has a blast.

Would you guys rather watch Rob Paxi (what ever his name is) from fishing australia or the blokes from fishing WA? I sure as hell wouldnt.

Angla
15-06-2008, 01:21 PM
I think his entheusiasm to catching fish is great. I dont really notice him calling his name out alot , but I probably copy that a little without even thinking. I also like to be entheusiastic when I catch a fish, even when I am solo.

Keep it up Scotty. I can handle it

Chris

Outsider1
15-06-2008, 01:21 PM
I thought it was called individuality!? His style has never worried me, never really noticed it in fact. Geez compared to Rexy he is a shrinking voilet!

His segments are always good IMO, and it is obvious he loves what he does. I always tend to like people who are enthusiastic about what they do.

Cheers

Dave

RayDeR
15-06-2008, 01:47 PM
G'day!

These shows are built on enthusiam. Many of us are probably as good at fishing and know our spot Xs very well. However, have we the enthusiasm for what we are doing while we are doing it to "sell the message" to the viewers.

I think back many years to high school. I was priveleged in having teachers who knew their subject well. Some of them could also teach by explaining it to us. Others could not only teach but do it with enthusiam that we wanted to know more and have them tell us more.

Scotty Hillier or Scoota (funny - I don't think anyone has mentioned that nickname he uses) has a knowledge and enthuses about what he is doing. Its the sort of stuff thsi show is made of. The other presenters have the same enthusiasm and sell themselves into the situation. Even old Thommo makes a beef and onion stew sound like the top tucker which it is. He makes me think it would be even better cooked in a pot on an open fire.

I have an idea that the constant use of the personal name - and all the presenters do it - is a way of binding us to them and seeing them as experts who
personally want to help us as individuals.

Ray De R

Tropicaltrout
15-06-2008, 02:00 PM
WAYNE

I bet you have no trouble finding him in the pub hes the one at the bar saying "Come on scotty hillier" between mouth fulls;D

stevea
15-06-2008, 02:56 PM
Wow!, I didn't realise I would create so much activity. I better not post and run and face the music.
1. As I said, I dont mind his footage
2. The amout of times he says "Scotty Hillier" in each segment irriates me. Yes I am a whinger but if we get 1 or 2 less "Scotty Hilliers" in every show as a result from any feedback, to me & any others that it annoys , we will be happier viewers. To the viewers it doesn't annoy then they wont notice any difference.
3. Each have their different view on this subject
4 It looks like this topics been done before Nics Post 23 (Link Below)I beleive hits the nail on the head. (Scotty at the supermarket)
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=125692&highlight=hillier
5. Thanks for the feedback and discussion.
Steve

Whitto
15-06-2008, 04:30 PM
Wow!, I didn't realise I would create so much activity. I better not post and run and face the music.
1. As I said, I dont mind his footage
2. The amout of times he says "Scotty Hillier" in each segment irriates me. Yes I am a whinger but if we get 1 or 2 less "Scotty Hilliers" in every show as a result from any feedback, to me & any others that it annoys , we will be happier viewers. To the viewers it doesn't annoy then they wont notice any difference.
3. Each have their different view on this subject
4 It looks like this topics been done before Nics Post 23 (Link Below)I beleive hits the nail on the head. (Scotty at the supermarket)
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=125692&highlight=hillier
5. Thanks for the feedback and discussion.
Steve Yeah! your a bloody sh..tstirrer stevea;D look at what you have made people say on this post about (You know who)...shame...shame....shame .......Whitto;D

stevea
15-06-2008, 05:16 PM
Yeah! your a bloody sh..tstirrer stevea;D look at what you have made people say on this post about (You know who)...shame...shame....shame .......Whitto;D

Thanks Whitto, I dont know who is the biggest Stirrer mate, with a banner like yours.:D

Maybe we should have had a posting "What would Scotty say & where!"

Eg Scotty's Lunchtime, "Scottys opening his lunch box & "holy lookout!!, Scottys got himself a hugh cheese sandwich!.:)

kitty_cat
15-06-2008, 05:51 PM
good to see a bit of sence of humour in the end thats whats its a about fishing and having a good time , i think we all to a degree fish to get out of the relms of everyday b/s he just does it a bit louder than most but i asure you he loves hes fishing and thats what counts

woodsy76
15-06-2008, 07:05 PM
imo he is a knob so i turn easy off, problem solved thank god 4 the remote

jtpython
15-06-2008, 07:26 PM
He's excitable like the rest of us if we were in front of the camera
I happened to be in the boat beside Scotty and them when they come back into the mouth of the Boyne Tannum and there was a guy in the boat absolutely paralytic throwing pillies at boats and being a knob and poor Scotty all he could do was smile
Plus he offered the guy to us as they floated by UMMM thxs again Scotty
But let me tell ya i have some good footage of it and will be seeking some shirts and caps and freebies or i might have to post that on you tube;D ;D
I think the boat they were on was Called ON _ SITE :P
All in jest
But my shirts can be sent to ...................
:P :P :P :P :P :P :P
JT

Nic
15-06-2008, 08:51 PM
I've been told by a number of people that Scotty is a great bloke and it's obvious he's an expert angler too, but MY GOD... I would love just a few less 'Big Scotty Hillier's! I enjoy watching his segments but it's gotten to the stage where I have to hit the mute button... that, or gnaw my own arm off. Please mate, you don't have to say it with every single fish! :-[

PADDLES
16-06-2008, 07:39 AM
yeah it's true, the little fella gets exciteable on the telly, but i would too if someone PAID me to go fishing in different exotic spots all over queensland and to catch primo fish, the lucky b@stard. anyway you can take the boy out of marcoola but you can't get the marcoola out of the boy, good on him i reckon.

ozbee
16-06-2008, 08:33 AM
just remember how would you go at making the dialogue up as you fish and handle a beauty in the one breath. i would put it down as a way to join segments of film also its hard to have a camera angle every where unless your god and can walk on water so lots of cuts must have to be used. At least it seems oz not like those American bass rubbish. i would put it down to a real Ozzie fisherman trying to grasp the difficulties that go with filiming.

scrotty
16-06-2008, 03:57 PM
Yea he is great bloke. He used to be a Boating and Fisheries Officers before he got into the TV stuff. I do find it a bit annoying as well, but he is certainly not the only supposed fishing guru who does it. A lot of the guys who are trying to be somebody in the TV fishing industry all tend to do the same thing. Self promotion I guess. The trips that they film have been highly organised way before they are filmed. They are phoned by the guides and places that they stay when the fishing is at its best and are all ready to go with the local knowledge so they cant miss, most of the time. You dont get see the hours of boredom in between the few hookups. You would be supprised at how much of the fotage is staged and not genuine. But it makes good tv. I would certainly swap jobs given the chance.

;D

BR65
16-06-2008, 07:45 PM
shhhh scrotty, ur letting the cat out of the bag mate:-X;)

difficult task to turn up to a new spot and pull fish on demand, good luck to those who can do it, as long as they acknowledge any help they receive.
re the self promoting 3rd person commentary, I just ignore it, any fishing show on tv is worth watching, just some are better than others

BrewGuru
16-06-2008, 08:01 PM
I enjoyed the company of Scotty Hillier on the 2006 Variety Bash, yes he is larger than life and he is the same off screen as he is on screen., he is a good aussie character and he makes the viewers take attention, better than having someone like Bruce Paige doing an exciting full on fishing show, horses for courses, lets not forget "PETER HARVEY......CANBERRA"

the gecko
17-06-2008, 09:25 AM
Seems to me that us fishos will criticise ANY tv show on fishing.....weve had a go at CtoC, ifish, rex and abt in recent threads. Who have we missed- just ET? Its the old story, you cant please everyone.

I love watching any fishing footage and I dont turned the sound down. I dont have a problem with a professional presenter promoting his name, or using guides. I just wish I had more time to watch tv shows.

I get most of my fix on the Aust Fishing DVD now. I think its the best footage around. Ive got about half of them, an Im gonna backorder the rest.

cheers
Andrew

Dirtysanchez
17-06-2008, 02:35 PM
It's funny, so many people rush in and defend the man with "he's a good bloke"
It doesn't seem to me, in any post that anyone is saying he isn't. He is enthusiastic and why wouldn't you be, getting paid to go fishing, and honing your skills so you are actually good at it ?
Beefing up the catch is all about making it viewable. Do a search on You Tube for the angry fisherman, whilst it is funny, it shows you how it could be, a bloke who gets shitty all the time (even though the angry is a gee up) and swearing etc.
Would you sit down and watch a bloke doing his block coz once again he gets snagged, or pulls in a huge clump of weed, like I tend to do when I go fishing ?

Getout
17-06-2008, 02:47 PM
Having fished with Scott for a day shooting a story out here i can tell you he doesnt have dibs on himself, hes just a bloke who loves his fishing and gets excited with each and every fish (as we all should). He's a ball of engery on the boat and it makes for a great day on the water with plenty of laughs to boot.

Maybe there is a hint (or alot) of jealousy behind all the knockers?? I Dont blame you-after all i reckon Scott has one of the best jobs in the world.

I reckon Scotts segments are some of the best fishing clips going around- he keeps it simple, doesnt pretend to know it all and just has a blast.

I second that. I've done quite a bit of media stuff with many different personalities. Scotty Hillier is a top bloke to spend a day with and he can catch fish. He is certainly not "up himself" like many others.

What are you whingers doing, watching tele on Saturday arvo anyway? You should be out fishing;D

kitty_cat
17-06-2008, 04:24 PM
ok some truths about the show and i have done a few now , no its not professional guides iam certianly not any were near a professional as for the time we go fishing well thats decided buy a producer that has done very limited fishing and sits in a office at mt cootha doesnt care if the fish are best bite time or not ,its about the shoot has to be done for tele so get it done (sorry kierren) some times infact they couldnt pick a worse time or worse weather possible but as they say the show must go on

so now you have some real truths its not all that easy and they make the best like me and you of the condition avaiable if its windy go skiing or day triping ect
yes they use some profesionals but i can asure you most of us general public helping with the shoots are just recos like yourselfs , makes you apreciate how good the show is with the facts

wayne

Outsider1
17-06-2008, 04:35 PM
I reckon Scotty would be loving this thread.! You couldn't get this sort of coverage if you paid for it!. Good on him!!;)

Anyone watch Boston Legal??!! Denny Crane! Denny Crane!;D;D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denny_Crane

Cheers

Dave

scrubba01
17-06-2008, 05:10 PM
I must say it does get a bit much when he whips out all the "Big Scotties".
But I would say that most now are unintentional. Since buying a video camera recently we have been doing some filming while fishing with a bit of commentary to make things a little more interesting and you do tend to use the same phrases over and over again. After coming back from a three-day trip to 1770 we watched the video my favourite saying was "here we are"
Here we are it's 7.30
Here we are another Red
Here we are sharks have come in etc etc etc
Didn't even know I was doing it until I saw it on video. Then I was giving myself the shits. Now have to make a real effort to mix up the intros to the video commentary

stevea
17-06-2008, 06:57 PM
Be interesting to count the number of "Scotty Hilliers" or "DH's" (Scotty talk for Double Hookups on next week show, not D... H....).

Once again, the posting never stated anywhere about him not being "a good bloke" . Just sick of hearing his name all the way through the segment. News readers might start and finish their name, but it stops there.

By the way, what ever happened to Phipsy, I thought he was a great TV fishing and family guy that was genuine and no Red jelly Bean hype. I thought he had a restaurant in Coolum somewhere.Any know how he's going?

Pistol_P
17-06-2008, 07:53 PM

Would you guys rather watch Rob Paxi (what ever his name is) from fishing australia or the blokes from fishing WA? I sure as hell wouldnt.

Arrrggh Rob Paxyouranus......Now he is a serious tool.
That is one fella who really is an amatuer fisho and I dont really know why he does a show.The last show I saw with him in it he caught a longnose trevally and told his crew on board in was a beautifull 'Diamond Trevally'.......When you've got your own show on television you gotta know what is what....:-/
His antics with a rod & reel are very average too.

Pete

stevea
17-06-2008, 09:52 PM
Thought I would do a quick summary of the thread in verse!

Yesterday I criticised Scotty Hillier,
The response from some was a little chillier.

The feedback I copped,
Means his show hasn’t flopped

For that posting I feel a little sillier.
_

Pete “Rexy’s worse”, Scrotty “ does he rehearse?”
Was some of the posts that was terse.

Barra“ hit the mute” ,
My girls thinks he’s cute!

Greg’s was fairly diverse!
_

Dogsbody“stop the attack”, Pelagic “cut him some slack”,
And Whitto just gave Wayne a whack!

Before I submit.
I’ll make it legit,

To ensure that all is on track!
_

Overuse of his name, was driving me insane,
Hoping only for him to sustain.

If I held off my posting,

I wouldn’t cop a roasting,

And wouldn’t be seen to complain.
______
Steve A

Tangles
17-06-2008, 10:02 PM
Who is Scotty Hillier? got no idea?

stevea
18-06-2008, 07:44 AM
Hey Aigutso, he's does the fishing TV show around the 5-6pm segment on one of the Brisbane weekends TV show.

baitwaster
18-06-2008, 07:49 AM
never heard of him ;D

Noelm
18-06-2008, 08:08 AM
A lot have come and said "what a good bloke he is" I seriously doubt that anyone has questioned whether he is a good bloke or a jerk, the fact remains, if you want to do a (say) Fishing Show and you want it to be successful and last for a few series runs, then you need a good host without a dozen phrases repeated every 2 minutes, if this famous/infamous Scotty Hilliar is indeed reading this, then if he has half a Brain, he will take it onboard and change his style, he might think it is great, and his Mates think he is a good Bloke, but it would appear that the general Public (us) think he is a tosser, or at least at his TV presenting he is! Same goes for Rob Paxawanker, or Rex or anyone else, take the criticism in the way it is inteneded, and make it work in your Favour.

Poseidon
18-06-2008, 09:04 AM
How many times did Steve Irwin say "CRIKEY" and why was he always wearing the khaki outfits?

Because he was a very clever and knowledgeable person and he knew that to be successful on the 'big stage' he had to have something different.

Scott Hillier is doing a similar thing, he is differentiating himself from all others and doing a pretty darn good job of presenting an entertaining episode of fishing. Sure, he could follow the other failed presenters and stick to the 'norm' and be forgotten in 12 months and regret having a go.

He is an entertainer, good fisho and at the top of his game.

Keep up the good work.

Getout
18-06-2008, 09:13 AM
A lot have come and said "what a good bloke he is" I seriously doubt that anyone has questioned whether he is a good bloke or a jerk, the fact remains, if you want to do a (say) Fishing Show and you want it to be successful and last for a few series runs, then you need a good host without a dozen phrases repeated every 2 minutes, if this famous/infamous Scotty Hilliar is indeed reading this, then if he has half a Brain, he will take it onboard and change his style, he might think it is great, and his Mates think he is a good Bloke, but it would appear that the general Public (us) think he is a tosser, or at least at his TV presenting he is! Same goes for Rob Paxawanker, or Rex or anyone else, take the criticism in the way it is inteneded, and make it work in your Favour.

If it annoys you that much, you can always switch the tele off.:wiseguy:
They can't please everyone

Noelm
18-06-2008, 09:21 AM
I have never seen his Show, but I can tell you, there is a couple of Fishing Shows that I do indeed turn off, or at best Mute the Sound! don't think I am some sort of critic or anything else, but if I do it, there must be Thousands more who also do it! and that is what TV is all about, viewers, viewers and more viewers, or face being sent into oblivion!

Noelm
18-06-2008, 09:25 AM
also remember, just because he is your mate, does not make him great to the general public, you may think he is fabulous, then so be it, and he may well be a great bloke, but it would seem the viewing public are not too fond of him huh! or at least his hosting style.

revs57
18-06-2008, 09:32 AM
Very clever verse Steve!

I think the thing is the self referencing thing, doesn't necessessarily mean he has dibs on him self, but yep, it can drive some nuts.

Its a style thing, Rexy had his "yibbidy yibbida, thank your mother for the chickens "or whatever, Steve Irwin had his "crikey Terry, that's a whopper"

Sadly, Scottie has opened himself to criticism by self referencing - its not really an aussie thing - doesn't work for me, but its obviously working for him - if the producers and sponsors are happy, he'll keep using the style and everyone else can go jump

It would be nice for someone close to him to mention it though - I don't mind the rest of his banter and some of the footage is O.K.

cheers

Rhys

DR
18-06-2008, 09:51 AM
put up the name of pretty well any high profile fishing presenter & someone will bag them out of pure jealousy, unless it is 1 of the couple at the very top of the totem & then it is showing your fishing ignorance to have a go at them, they are gurus...just another thing for you pack of ''nutbag, redneck queenslanders" to complain aboUt.. COME ON THE MIGHTY BLUES.. ;D;D;D8-)

Noelm
18-06-2008, 10:08 AM
and those gurus at the top might be?????

DR
18-06-2008, 10:30 AM
and those gurus at the top might be?????

Starling, Busch & Miller all spring to mind..but there will still always be some green eyed monsters around..

Everyone bags Rex Hunt for how he carries on, who really cares?? A lot of his shows were a lot like the average fishos trips. How many times has he done a show & caught bugger all?? & just rabbited on to some local who has taken him out. All made for realistic viewing. I doubt whether Rex would be pulling buckets through the water & claiming he was on..get over it people...

i see it all as a bit like an attractive movie star/singer/model, or whatever, that splits with her husband/boyfriend & some get all excited, almost as if they had a shot themselves.. it's just talk..

Noelm
18-06-2008, 10:52 AM
yep, OK then, I agree that Steve Starling and Bushy and Ian Millar are probably up there with the best, most appealing and with no real irritating traits, and you might also have noticed that no one has posted a single bad word about them! kind of says something huh? and guess what?? they are all from NSW! yahoo, bloody Redneck, nutbag QLDers!

FNQCairns
18-06-2008, 11:57 AM
yep, OK then, I agree that Steve Starling and Bushy and Ian Millar are probably up there with the best, most appealing and with no real irritating traits, and you might also have noticed that no one has posted a single bad word about them! kind of says something huh? and guess what?? they are all from NSW! yahoo, bloody Redneck, nutbag QLDers!

Who they? NSW where's that?? sounds irritating;D;D

cheersfnq

Matt_Campbell
18-06-2008, 12:46 PM
For the best fishing show on tv check out Adventure Bound Monday nights 8:00pm on Bris 31. Quiet unassuming blokes who know how to fish!

Pistol_P
18-06-2008, 12:53 PM
For the best fishing show on tv check out Adventure Bound Monday nights 8:00pm on Bris 31. Quiet unassuming blokes who know how to fish!

Yeah I used to fish land based with Neil who is on that show.
They are very knowledgeable fellas.

WE ALL have to remeber one thing here......A BAD fishing show is still MUCH better than the other CRAP that is on television......Would you rather watch BIG BROTHER...??

Pete

Nic
18-06-2008, 12:57 PM
It's a bit of a wussy rebuttal to say that people who voice criticism are probably "just jealous". I, for example, may dislike Scotty's repetitive 3rd person presenting style but that doesn't mean I want his job -- I love the job I have! Still, it's good to have a bit of disagreement on here, makes things interesting. It would be pretty boring if everyone saw eye-to-eye.

Scrubba you have given me food for thought by saying how involuntary our personal fishing mannerisms can be. I reckon I might start filming more of our outings to see what alarming mannerisms manifest themselves!

Noelm
18-06-2008, 01:03 PM
Who they? NSW where's that?? sounds irritating;D;D

cheersfnq
Hey steady on there, I will be up there soon and might just go hunting Redneck nutbags, unless they want to take me Fishing of course, then they are OK, just live in the wrong State!

Reel Nauti
18-06-2008, 03:56 PM
I would hardly call a dozen of so blokes from Ausfish the general public Noel. A lot of members may be more attuned to the fishing presentation and style but I think that would be a very, very, small minority of viewers. Probably the vast majority of the viewers of the show would not be as attuned as keen fishos. I would hazard to say that there would be hundreds of thousands of people who absolutely love the show and the relaxing time it gives them. Good on him for good clean fun and entertainment.
Cheers

Dave

PinHead
18-06-2008, 04:29 PM
Starling, Busch & Miller all spring to mind..but there will still always be some green eyed monsters around..

Everyone bags Rex Hunt for how he carries on, who really cares?? A lot of his shows were a lot like the average fishos trips. How many times has he done a show & caught bugger all?? & just rabbited on to some local who has taken him out. All made for realistic viewing. I doubt whether Rex would be pulling buckets through the water & claiming he was on..get over it people...

i see it all as a bit like an attractive movie star/singer/model, or whatever, that splits with her husband/boyfriend & some get all excited, almost as if they had a shot themselves.. it's just talk..

and they are gurus?? of what?

and who the hell is Scotty Hillier...I am presuming someone from a fishing show..never watch any of them to be honest..find all I have seen to be boring.

dogsbody
18-06-2008, 05:30 PM
Noel I'd be grumpy like you if I lived in NSW.

And keep believing the blues will win. Just remember it's not a lie if you believe it. :P ;D

Dave.

Stuart
18-06-2008, 06:06 PM
Dr

Starling, Busch & Miller maybe gurus in your mind but certainly not mine. Are they gurus to you because you see them in the media most of the time. If you are in the media does that mean you are a guru? Don’t think so my friend. How about the rest of the fishing population you don’t hear about that would blow them away. I know many that could out fish them any day of the week. Are they gurus? No way mate, just guys that love fishing. What about the skippers that put these so called gurus on fish, do they get recognition? Nooooooo. If there is one term I can’t stand and that is Guru. Most of these guys’ heads are already so big and heavy; please don’t add to their problem. ::)

Stu

Dezzer
18-06-2008, 06:30 PM
The worst fishing show is better than most of the crap on the box.

Nic
18-06-2008, 08:19 PM
Dr
Starling, Busch & Miller maybe gurus in your mind but certainly not mine. Are they gurus to you because you see them in the media most of the time. If you are in the media does that mean you are a guru? Don’t think so my friend. ::)
Stu

If these guys are now being referred to as 'gurus', I would say it's because they have proven themselves in tournament circuits around the country. I believe Starlo held the record for the biggest BREAM money winner for a while (and that's a LOT of $$), Bushy held the record for the heaviest bag, and Ian Miller has a record of consistently placing in the top 10, as far as I am aware. Their records would all be on the ABT BREAM site anyway.

It's one thing to catch heaps in your local area but it's another thing to consistently perform well all around the country... and success like that brings media exposure, of course! Can't vouch for their head size but it could well be normal enough.

DR
18-06-2008, 08:35 PM
Dr

Starling, Busch & Miller maybe gurus in your mind but certainly not mine. Are they gurus to you because you see them in the media most of the time. If you are in the media does that mean you are a guru? Don’t think so my friend. How about the rest of the fishing population you don’t hear about that would blow them away. I know many that could out fish them any day of the week. Are they gurus? No way mate, just guys that love fishing. What about the skippers that put these so called gurus on fish, do they get recognition? Nooooooo. If there is one term I can’t stand and that is Guru. Most of these guys’ heads are already so big and heavy; please don’t add to their problem. ::)

Stu

i don't know how to do the double quote thing, but for Pinhead as well.. sarcasm in print is lost on some...

Stuart, you occasionally blow your own trumpet on your rod building ability, some may see you as a 'GURU' others may see you as a bighead, i have never met you or seen your work in the flesh, so i don't have an opinion, it's just the way of the world..there will always be people who bag others..

Ocean Sport
21-06-2008, 12:33 PM
I think he does forget his name because often he calls himself the big fella. Sure looks like more fun than nailing wood together though

Ocean Sport
21-06-2008, 12:36 PM
Oh sorry, are we still talking about Scotty or has this gone somewhere completely different

stevea
21-06-2008, 02:53 PM
Oh sorry, are we still talking about Scotty or has this gone somewhere completely different

There is only 1 thing worse than getting talked about!
& that's not getting talked about.

Thread has diversified abit, but who realy cares where it goes.

Yes I did notice he calls himself "Big Fella" a lot.

Seahorse
21-06-2008, 06:18 PM
hey dezza,
iam with u.
the worst fishing show would be better than the other garbage on tv.
tomorrow iam going to say greg does it again, gregs hoohed up, greg on again.
maybe if i keep saying it , i might catch a bloody fish, and that would be a nice change.

cheers
greg

sandbankmagnet
22-06-2008, 09:29 PM
I'm still chuckling about the Blues comment.......... 30 - 0............ Haven't won a series since Noah was running around in the under 12's.

560haines
22-06-2008, 09:53 PM
scotty hillier DH arrrr yes scotty DH

560haines
22-06-2008, 09:54 PM
But he is a happy bloke hey

loophole
22-06-2008, 09:58 PM
scotty hillier DH arrrr yes scotty DH

;D ;D ;D ;D HAHAHAHAHHA u got it down put mate.

Scotty's done it again, OHHHH Its a great DhH ,, lovely::)

stevea
23-06-2008, 07:07 AM
yeh, I always smile when he gets a DH!,
I wonder if the fish are saying the same thing, "look we got a DH!;) "

skipalong
23-06-2008, 03:41 PM
he must do

PADDLES
24-06-2008, 02:02 PM
that's pretty funny steve. can just imagine the fish on one hook saying to the other "look at this DH" nyuk nyuk nyuk.

revs57
25-06-2008, 07:53 AM
'cmon fellas, surely its time to leave the bugger alone and go fishing - there's gotta be better things to talk about

PADDLES
25-06-2008, 08:03 AM
awww, c'mon revs. givin' a bit of a slaggin' is downright australian. i actually don't mind his style on the show, i remember him as a kid and he was a boofhead then too.

POPPER1
25-06-2008, 09:04 AM
Who else would you rather watch monotone E.T,we should be thankful we have
a show that highlights the joy of fishing creek to coast has the best fishing content of any show,who used to sit and watch Rexy for half an hour to see him catch 1 whiting in Port Phillip Bay.
I have had the pleasure of fishing with Scotty on his own boat and he is a great fisherman and the word is he is starting his own fishing charters out of Lucinda
In Sept I would recommend all you doubters to book in and have a fishing trip not only with a top bloke but a great fisherman you too will be callin your own name when he puts you on to 15kg Red emperor:D

bigjimg
25-06-2008, 08:37 PM
Like most TV shows of this kind they are all planned and the amount of Takes they do to get it right all adds up.I would take a stab and say that the charter
operators they use would be saying to themselves "Geez Scotty Hillier will you
bloody get it right we all want to go home.Gotta love his energy though it would be a tough gig.haha Jim

Giffo7
27-06-2008, 06:51 PM
And I thought it was just me yelling at the TV every time he calls his own name !like the show other than that .does he do it in the bedroom too ?
Cheers
Giffo (with the finger on the mute button )