PDA

View Full Version : Podding - Haines Hunter 565f-CC

hallcomp01
13-06-2008, 08:07 PM
Hey Guys,

I have a good condition Haines Hunter 565f reglassed as an open center console
boat.

I have been toying with the idea of adding a (bolt on) Pod and reglassing the back of the boat for more room and rear seating.

The boat is naturally heavier in the arse with a 150 Merc and no Cuddy cabin weight.. Therefore I thought a pod might help "float" the arse up a tad ??

Does anyone have any experiance with HH's and pods ?

Cheers in Advance

Chris

boatboy50
13-06-2008, 09:44 PM
Hey Hall,

If not done right, I would see the weight going the other way, too much on the bum. You would need a full width and depth pod to provide more flotation and balance the extra weight of the engine which is now further to the rear of the boat.

If the boat is already struggling with weight after the deck removal, I wouldn't even think about it.

Regards

Darren

HH565L
13-06-2008, 11:24 PM
G'day Chris,

Back on the 4/4/08 member cjockey started a thread called "Haines Hunter 565L Seeker, 21ft Centre Consol". Whilst the description is a little vague the thread is about a podded 565F and a great one at that. Might be worth your while having a look and even making contact with cjockey for information and advice.

Keep us updated on your project.

Regards,
Spiro

hallcomp01
14-06-2008, 11:05 AM
Ok thanks guys..

Darren when I think about it I feel the fronts to light rather then the backs too heavy as its more a nose up attitude at rest, especially when fishing with a few ppl's at the back..

I will look for that thread cheers Spiro, sounds perfect mate..

Normally I wouldn't bother spending the money on what I consider a major mod and just trade up but I just love the hull/platform and would co$t me to much to step up value wise..

Cheers

Chris

HH565L
14-06-2008, 02:03 PM
Your welcome Chris.

In my opinion, you won't find a better performing hull in that size range. A couple of thou on a quality pod and deck alterations will be money well spent. Also, 565Fs are in short supply, so as long as you don't overspend you should get your money back when it's time to upgrade.

Good luck with your project. I would love to see some photos posted here when you've got it finished.

Below are a couple of pics of mine, full ground up rebuild of a 565L completed about 2 years ago.

Regards,
Spiro

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z14/HH565L/Image013.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z14/HH565L/Image025_1.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z14/HH565L/Picture080.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z14/HH565L/100_0870.jpg

ozscott
14-06-2008, 04:29 PM
HH - mate that has to be one of the all time best boats I have seen...of any year. Well done. What year is it. Was the dual axle necessary or a luxury..what is hull length and weight of boat without trailer?

Cheers

HH565L
14-06-2008, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the kind words. It's a 1983 model, just turned 25!

When I first bought the boat it had a tandem, so when I upgraded I just went tandem again. All up BMT comes in at around 1800kg loaded. The trailer weighs 495kg.

Hull length is 5.65 meters, excluding bow sprit.

Thanks again & regards,
Spiro

ozscott
14-06-2008, 07:48 PM
You should be proud Spiro - really great rig mate. I have a 6 metre 70s Seafarer Vagabond. One day I would like to do a full re-paint and fit out. I have made it pretty comfortable, but yours is a real class act.

Cheers

HH565L
14-06-2008, 08:10 PM
It's solid as well. Part of the refurb comprised new stringers, floor and transom and a rebuilt dash. Fixed up over 300 holes, scratched/gouges and stress fractures and spent around 25 x 12 hour days sanding before the undercoat went on. To say the hull was in a very sad state when I bought it would be an understatement. Big job but well worth it in the end. Most people that see it think it's a new Edencraft 565 Sports.

At times the fishing down here in Melbourne can be miserable to say the least, so we use that time to pretty up our boats. :-/

Regards,
Spiro

jimbo59
14-06-2008, 10:37 PM
the transon could have been lifted a bit more but yeah nice job

Duckfish
14-06-2008, 11:17 PM
Hi Spiro,
Just noticed that you have an extra long leg motor with a 20" transom. How did you fit the motor on? Some photos would be nice. I have a 565L also.
Don

hallcomp01
15-06-2008, 06:55 PM
Spiro,

Absolutely mint rig mate, great to see the classic HH's given treatment they deserve.

Here is an older pics of my boat, had a few mods since. I can feel this post turning into a 565 happy snap hijack.. ;) hehe

To come;

1 - POD (finger crossed) / Reglassed Arse..

2 - Targa top / Re appolstered

3 - New motor, currently Blackmax 150 Merc still going OK..

Chris

HH565L
15-06-2008, 11:57 PM
Jimbo, you're absolutely right mate. When I rebuilt the transom the intent was to refit the original Mercury 150 Blackmax which was 20". Then a mate of mine called up and said he was selling his 200EFI, only problem is it had a 25" leg. The offer was to good to refuce, so I picked it up.

Duckfish, the outboard is sitting on a clearwater transom set back bracket. It sets it 6" back and lifts it approx 5" at the same time. They are similar to a pod but do not provide any boyancy. Also they were very common ski boats in the early days ie before jacking plates and the like came into vogue. Currently they are available from www.gotools.com.au (http://www.gotools.com.au)

Chris, she looks good mate. Nothing wrong with the 150 Blackmax either. Still have mine sitting at home, after spending approx $3.5K doing it up the 200EFI came along! Many of the early 2 litre Blackmax's were designed with racing in mind, chrome bores and all that kind of stuff. Sound like a funny car engine when they're out of the water, absolutely awesome. Pretty easy to increase hp as well. Pick up a set of 200hp carbs and reed valves and all of the sudden you've got yourself a 200 not a 150.

Keep the pics coming as your project progresses. I'm keen to see how she develops.

Cheers,
Spiro