PDA

View Full Version : Tough, light 6kg spin rod

Mozza
13-06-2008, 11:27 AM
Hi guys,

As mates can attest, I'm rough on my gear, especially rods. Carbon fibre rods seem to have a habit of breaking in the tinny. Yes, I may have high-sticked them once too often but at $150 a pop, I'm starting to lose patience with them.

I'm looking for some recommendations on a light but reslient rod as my barra, lure rod. I see there are new rods out with glass tips, carbon fibre composites with Kevlar reinforcement! The trouble with a lot of those 'medium' range spinning rods is they have big butts. The uglies are marginally too heavy for my weaker wrists.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Mozza

Horse
14-06-2008, 08:33 AM
Have a look at the Silstar Crystal Blue Powertip range. Perhaps you could install some side rod holders to store your rods while travelling and go for one of the less expensive graphite rods such as a Starlostix, Raider or dropshot

Cheers

Neil

NAGG
14-06-2008, 11:02 AM
=Mozza;840393]Hi guys,

As mates can attest, I'm rough on my gear, especially rods. Carbon fibre rods seem to have a habit of breaking in the tinny. Yes, I may have high-sticked them once too often but at $150 a pop, I'm starting to lose patience with them.

I'm looking for some recommendations on a light but reslient rod as my barra, lure rod. I see there are new rods out with glass tips, carbon fibre composites with Kevlar reinforcement! The trouble with a lot of those 'medium' range spinning rods is they have big butts. The uglies are marginally too heavy for my weaker wrists.

Any ideas?

Hi Mozza

Its not a cheap option ...... but a very good one & much better than looking at solid tip rods where you loose fish ability! A real good alternative , specially if you consider importing
Loomis SJR783 (GL2) 6'6" 8-15lb rating The GL2 is extremely tough when compared to other graphite rods , is still light & has a nice fast action!
...... I have a little GL2 spin rod that I've owned for years..... & like you , I'm heavy handed or just like to break light rods::) ....... My kids use it now

You should be able to land it from the US ..... for under $200 ( there is $60 freight included on that ..... You can land 5 rods for a total of $60 .... so see if a mate wants one & split the cost8-) ( Mo tackle have the same rod for about $280)

Cheers

Nagg

PM me if you want some further details

Mozza
14-06-2008, 01:56 PM
Thanks Horse, Nagg,

Yep, the local shop were showing me the Crystal Blue's so thats an option - I could even cut the butt shorter if I want.

Curmudgeon and I are definitely going to look into the option of importing the Loomis.

Thanks
Mozza

Curmudgeon
14-06-2008, 05:02 PM
Nagg, that rod sounds like the duck's nuts. Loomis should be paying you a commission.

What sort of reel are you using on it? I'm guessing a 4000 might be a bit big?

Cheers,
Brian.

NAGG
14-06-2008, 11:40 PM
Nagg, that rod sounds like the duck's nuts. Loomis should be paying you a commission.

What sort of reel are you using on it? I'm guessing a 4000 might be a bit big?

Cheers,
Brian.

Commission ...... I wish! :P ....... its just about singing the praises of what works for me ...... & may suit others too.
I wouldn't call a GL2 the ducks nuts ...... far from it ! ...... Its just a reasonably priced rod that is very robust without feeling like a broomstick ( though it does show what a range of blanks that G Loomis make. ...... but in my opinion they are only good value if they are imported.
I actually dont have that rod ...... mine is the little baby of the range . I feel a 3000 size reel would be ideal:)

Nagg

bushbeachboy
15-06-2008, 07:04 AM
Mozza,
Have a look on ebay under 'tuff tackle'. He has some hollow glass rods that might suit you from time to time.
Cheers
BBB

metaloid
15-06-2008, 11:38 PM
Hi Mozza,

I've got a silstar power tip rod (4-7kg) and it certainly fits the "resilient" tag. I've hooked quite a few sting-rays as bycatch and there is no breaking that rod on 12lbs line!

Now having said that, I'd hate having to twitch a hb on that rod, let alone a soft plastic... it's just not up to that task! But on the other hand if you're mostly trolling, then it's good value for money.

trueblue
16-06-2008, 09:24 PM
Abu Garcia "Ultracast"

cheap, reliable, medium taper, casts like a rocket, takes abuse

I have had the 4 - 6 kg ultracast rod for 10 plus years and saw the other day that they are still being made, they are just cheaper now...