PDA

View Full Version : repower kevlacat 5.2 with yamaha xl high thrust

fromeo
12-06-2008, 06:25 PM
hi all I know this subject has been done before , but i need to modify the pod to receive the pod is it just a matter of adding the 5 " and placing the motors in the same holes, are there any pit falls i should watch out for. your help would be appreciated..

mirage
12-06-2008, 06:39 PM
Not sure I understand your question?
As far as I know there is nothing to do to the pods other than bolt the new ones on! Might not be the same holes though with different donks.

boatboy50
12-06-2008, 07:49 PM
Hey,

This is a pic of my 25" pods. They came standard from the factory like this.

It's a poor pic but it's the only one I have right now.

Regards

Darren

Noelm
13-06-2008, 09:12 AM
I guess you are going from 20" legs to 25" legs?? if that is the case, then you need to "add" 5" to the top of the pod (where the Motor will sit), this can be achieved in various ways, from as simple as welding a 5" flat bar to the top with some braces, to a full on new pod, and from that, you will find the old holes will now be 5" too low, so new ones will need to be drilled, and the old ones filled up, most Motors have a standard bolt pattern, is that what you are asking??

Noelm
13-06-2008, 09:15 AM
just re read your question, I am now thinking you may be thinking to add 5" to the Bottom of the Pod, is that the case?? if so then the answer is NO, the current Pod will be at the correct running level with the bottom of the Boat (I hope) and adding 5" lower will result in disaster.

fromeo
13-06-2008, 03:05 PM
Hi guys ,
it ....I am repowering my Kevlacat 5.2 1990 model with 60hp 25" high thrust Yamaha 4 st the prioblem is my pods were designed only for 20 " legs.... My intention is to add 5 " to the top of the POD duplicate the current hole pattern with the 5" offset up the pod and bolt the new motors in the same slot they are now ( one from the top slot)

I have read numerous threads on this topic and the message I am getting is that I should be aiming to set the new motors higher than normal . So I was thinking if I should increase the hight by 6-7" instead of the 5 "
Also it would be good to hear from guys who have done this conversion if they had to change the steering mechanism to suit and what they had to do to get arround it.

, any thoughts would be appreciated .

Thanks

Fred

Noelm
13-06-2008, 03:14 PM
probably best off to aim for a straight out 5" "lift" and then fine tune the Motors from there, you can just raise them up one hole at a time untill you get the optium performance.