PDA

View Full Version : pflueger supreme casting reel

shaynes_god
12-06-2008, 10:45 AM
hello all
i am looking to buy a new reel and look at this one. the supreme is 169.99 in the US and looks like a tidy reel. but i also like the shimano cruxis which is 99.99 US. there is one the shimano castaic which is 169.99 US but i can't find any info on them in australia.
so what do you guys think, have any of you had any of these reels an which did you like the most.
cheers shayne.

Roo
12-06-2008, 11:44 AM
Can only tell you what we didn't like.
we had a Supreme for a week.....took it back and exchanged for a Abu Revo Premier. the supreme would only pull 2.2kg of drag no matter how hard we screwed the drag knob. other than that it was very smooth. never got a chance to cast it in anger, just a quick fick in the back yard before testing the drag and wrapping it back up to return. We'd got it as part of a combo for barra....not enough spuds in the "come here" department. The Premier hasn't a massive drag like the Abu Revo STX but it was better then the Supreme.
Cheers Roo.

shaynes_god
12-06-2008, 03:21 PM
thanks for that mate
i will be needing a strong drag but that sounds a bit weak was it just that particular reel you got or is it the stardard.

Dan5
12-06-2008, 03:54 PM
Mate i have the cruxis and it feel's smooth with a decent drag,i also have the curado's 200dhsv and 3 of the old 200's and calcutta 200,cronarch 100 etc.

The cruxis is avaliable for about $65us and citica for about $80us,I'm looking at getting a citica myself while the excange rate is so good,they are both a good mid price range reel,

Dan.

Roo
12-06-2008, 04:42 PM
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewpfluegersupremebaitcaster.html
I wish i'd checked out Tackle Tour First but it was a Impulse buy at the time. As far as I'm concerned, if it can happen to 2 of us......them it might as well be all of them.
Interesting note: the Spring type scales (shimano) at the shop tested it at 4kg (Peak load).....the scales i used are a commercial weighing type which rather reading the peak load to start up, we read the amount required to keep the spool slowly turning....2.2kg for the supreme and 5.5kg for my Zillion(almost maxed out but I could have got one more click out of it). I didn't take my Zillion in to the shop with me to compare but I'd hazard a guess that the Shimano scales would have registered considerably higher. I could pull the line out by hand on the Supreme easily but the Zillion would just cut my hands at any more than 4kg. The Zillion has had carbontex washers added with a light smear of Cals drag grease. made it much smoother, particularly at start up. almost no spike in pressure to get the spool turning.