PDA

View Full Version : Where to report abandoned boat?

brodes
12-06-2008, 07:59 AM
Hi everyone

I found a 3m inflatable washed up in the mangroves on the maroochy river this morning so i checked it out and it's registered until 10/2008 and has fishing gear/buckets/anchor all inside. The engine cover was off and in the boat too. I think it may have got stuck coming in on the tide last night.

Does anyone know who i report this to? I've got the registration number and I'd like to make sure someone gets their little boat back before someone else steals it!

Cheers :)

FNQCairns
12-06-2008, 08:04 AM
What about the CG or VMR they will probably be charged with retrieving it anyway, the authorities may not want to interrupt their coffee and biscuits for such menial work.

cheers fnq

lethal098
12-06-2008, 08:21 AM
water police, or harbour master

seatime
12-06-2008, 08:21 AM
You could try the police?

Maroochydore non-urgent number is 07 54752444, they should pass it on to the Watery's.

Hornet Rider
12-06-2008, 08:36 AM
Hi everyone

I found a 3m inflatable washed up in the mangroves on the maroochy river this morning so i checked it out and it's registered until 10/2008 and has fishing gear/buckets/anchor all inside. The engine cover was off and in the boat too. I think it may have got stuck coming in on the tide last night.

Does anyone know who i report this to? I've got the registration number and I'd like to make sure someone gets their little boat back before someone else steals it!

Cheers :)

Mate, immediate action - quick call on your radio to VMR or CG with brief description of the situation & location so someone else knows what's going on, quick search of the immediate area for any danger issues & that the boat isn't a bait for a trap or booby trapped, making sure not to disturb anything that may later be used as evidence, photograph as you work if you have a camera, then search immediate area for survivors or injured crew, then phone local police (not 000 as you don't have evidence of an emergency), also give second report to VMR & CG to keep them in the loop. Then troll the banks to see if there are any injured crew in the direction of tidal flow or drift. If zip, then record all details of abandoned vessel, with photos if possible, move on to next most important event. Alternatively you could determine if the vessel remains abandoned if it's going to be a danger to life or limb, then take it into tow & drop it of at pre-arranged RV with Police or VMR/CG. Make sure you remove all drugs, wallets, grog, stick books, etc from the abandoned vessel so you can take them straight to the pool room when you get home.....

Fish Guts
12-06-2008, 09:23 AM
someones been watching too much csi miami. the poor diggers probably having a bog in the bushes.

Noelm
12-06-2008, 09:41 AM
probably had Engine trouble, hid the Boat in the bushes to walk home and get some gear to come back later, now when he comes back Grisham from CSI, Border Patrol and the Patrol Boat "Hammersley" will have taken his Boat and are searching for him in the Mangroves!!

Fish Guts
12-06-2008, 09:47 AM
lisa mccune will be all over it like a rash

mod5
12-06-2008, 09:57 AM
I don't think we should be joking about this. Some family could also be sitting at home waiting for a loved one to appear.

Should be reported to the local police immediately.

Noelm
12-06-2008, 10:09 AM
OK fair enough, I guess we did take it a bit lightly at face value, there could be some problems attached to it all, and to answer the question, I guess Police first off and take it from there.

Fish Guts
12-06-2008, 10:16 AM
Mate, immediate action - quick call on your radio to VMR or CG with brief description of the situation & location so someone else knows what's going on, quick search of the immediate area for any danger issues & that the boat isn't a bait for a trap or booby trapped, making sure not to disturb anything that may later be used as evidence, photograph as you work if you have a camera, then search immediate area for survivors or injured crew, then phone local police (not 000 as you don't have evidence of an emergency), also give second report to VMR & CG to keep them in the loop. Then troll the banks to see if there are any injured crew in the direction of tidal flow or drift. If zip, then record all details of abandoned vessel, with photos if possible, move on to next most important event. Alternatively you could determine if the vessel remains abandoned if it's going to be a danger to life or limb, then take it into tow & drop it of at pre-arranged RV with Police or VMR/CG. Make sure you remove all drugs, wallets, grog, stick books, etc from the abandoned vessel so you can take them straight to the pool room when you get home.....

My joke was referring to the scotland yard scenario. Matchstick into a pine forest if ive ever seen it.

Hornet Rider
12-06-2008, 06:15 PM
My joke was referring to the scotland yard scenario. Matchstick into a pine forest if ive ever seen it.

... why's that Fish Guts, because you said so? Must be true then.

Noelm
13-06-2008, 10:06 AM
so, has anything been revealed on this yet? after the tirade of wise cracks and so on, it would be nice to see if their has been any outcome yet, and hopefully a good one.