PDA

View Full Version : Braid castaway

humfmonkey
11-06-2008, 05:31 PM
Anyone using the sun castaway 20lb braid ?
Feels like silk and so strong but hows it perform.

Horse
11-06-2008, 06:01 PM
It rated very poorly in the strength/diameter test performed by Modern Fishing a few months back. I almost bought some a while ago but thought it looked quite thick but felt very nice. I have heard nothing but good reports from those that use it.

Cheers

Neil

LostNearBribie
11-06-2008, 06:56 PM
Mate I have a Stradic 4000 loaded with it and think it is great.
If it is the Castaway PE, very lime green, then it is great.

Horse, due to your comment I'm not sure if we are talking the same thing.
I have found the Castaway to be quite thin?
I have 6lb and 20lb spools and thought that they were both quite thin.
I also use Platypus Super braid in 4lb, 8lb, 15lb and 50lb.
I find the Castaway thinner than the Super Braid.
I do love the Super Braid though, go the Aussie....

humfmonkey (http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/member.php?u=50413) I landed a 75cm Spotty at 1770 with the 20lb castaway and 30lb leader no problems at all. The 6lb has landed flatties up to 56cm so far.

I would certainly buy it again.

cam007
11-06-2008, 08:10 PM
It rated very poorly in the strength/diameter test performed by Modern Fishing a few months back. I almost bought some a while ago but thought it looked quite thick but felt very nice. I have heard nothing but good reports from those that use it.

Cheers

Neil
Horse castaway is IGFA rated so it has to break below what its stated at 20 lb from memory of that article broke on averege at 18lb to 19lb which is what it was made to do and you wont yet find thinner line its awsome stuff i use 12lb 16lb and 20 lb cant recomend it enoughhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/images/icons/icon14.gif

yellahunter
11-06-2008, 09:24 PM
guys i think there migt be some confusion here,

to my knowledge the castaway was light blue and rated to its actual breaking strain, also the thinnest of the braids around atm,

Sunline also make a super PE braid, which is lime green rated to higher breaking strains than it is sold as and is a little thicker than castawy, not as thick as a conventional braid but not quite as thin as some.

I use the Super PE (green) and find it quite good,
to be honest i had only ever heard good of both lines, just too stingy myself to pay $60 for 150m haha

leelee
11-06-2008, 11:17 PM
Sunline Castaway is not the green braid. That is super PE and is a totally different construction, but both are great lines.

I have the castawy 20lb on my alphas and i managed to fit 150m of it on the reel with no problems. Its great use, has great knot strength. The castaway replaced some Daiwa Sensor 15lb and I am glad I made the change. It is IGFA rated as previously stated so it will break around the advertised breaking strain.

Great line, thin diameter and pretty tuff stuff.

Cheers

Lee

banshee
12-06-2008, 09:44 AM
Yella and Lee are spot on,added to their info is that Castaway is made from a hybrid mix of pollyester and pollyetheline (sp) to give it a slightly better abraision resistence than straight PE,I don't think you'll find it in under 10lbs breaking strain.

Tim_N
12-06-2008, 10:36 AM
It's thin, casts a treat and it knots very well. Definately worth the extra cash.
Tim

alphas
12-06-2008, 10:37 AM
I have 2 reels with it on...It is really good stuff.I like the way it lays on the water and it is really supple.In freshwater I have had it rubbing against some submerged timber and didnt break..banshee is right,lightest break strain is 12lb(from memory)

abbot_86
12-06-2008, 08:11 PM
i had it in the 10lb and it was crap. wind knots, getting caught in the guides, and it didnt like fluro carbon, the braid used to just cut through the fluro all the time. but not sure what its like in the 20lb. another dudd thing about it when it gets old its starts to look dirty on the spool. nick

Horse
12-06-2008, 09:11 PM
Horse castaway is IGFA rated so it has to break below what its stated at 20 lb from memory of that article broke on averege at 18lb to 19lb which is what it was made to do and you wont yet find thinner line its awsome stuff i use 12lb 16lb and 20 lb cant recomend it enoughhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/images/icons/icon14.gif

As I said, I have only heard good things about it but unless you are fishing line class then the low strength/diameter relationship means that it would not be my choice if I wanted a thin line for a given strength (not stated strength. Try holding some 20lb Whiplash up against 20lb Castaway:o . Diameter is not everthing howeverand I often use Fins which is not as thin as many but has great handling characteristics as does Castaway