PDA

View Full Version : Can you mix 2 stroke oil

reelchippy
11-06-2008, 04:27 PM
Hi well i normal use quicksilver oil but can not get any quick so a got some valvoline can you mix the oil in the same tank.cheers

Roughasguts
11-06-2008, 04:52 PM
Don't some won't mix and turn to gel, and I don't know which ones.

Drain and flush the tank clean first.

banshee
11-06-2008, 05:11 PM
I have mixed Shell Nautilus to Quicksilver with no ill effects (though it is not recomended by either manufacturer) but what ever you do,don't mix a synthetic and a minneral as gelling may occur.

FNQCairns
11-06-2008, 05:15 PM
If both are tcw-3 oil you can do it without drama other wise it cannot be a tcw-3. This is one of the reasons we no longer have tcw-2 as that couldn't be mixed, now the ability to mix is a solid portion of the oils specification.

cheers fnq

onerabbit
11-06-2008, 05:39 PM
There might be some debate between Quicksilver & Valvoline,
but they will both do the job........

In a desperate moment I have added BP oil until I bought more Quicksilver.
Under warranty, you must use Quicksilver in a Merc, but didn't think they'd notice a bit of BP.

I think it more about the good additives.

Muzz

Noelm
12-06-2008, 09:06 AM
I have found (from experience with a mates Boat) that most "good" Oils will mix OK, but cheapo ones do not take to their more expensive counterparts too well (or vice versa) in saying that, I have always used the same Oil and never ever mixed them, only ever used Shell Nautilus in the "mix your own" and "auto mixers", including Mercury, Yamahas, and various OMC Motors, and XD50 in the current Motors (fuel injected)

lethal098
12-06-2008, 02:04 PM
not reccomended however you prob wont have a problem
cheers lethal

kizza1
12-06-2008, 03:13 PM
just make sure both oils are mineral or both are synthetic.
also dont mix water cooled 2 stroke oil with air cooled 2 stroke oil (outboard oil vs mower oil)

BaitThrower
12-06-2008, 09:29 PM
I just switched back to Valvoline Synthetic Fortified oil today after using a tank full with BP Hi-Tide in it. Man my engine didnt like the BP too much. Fouled up the plugs a fair bit and left lots of crud in my flush bucket, not to mention to unburnt oil leaks from the prop for a week afterwards!

The Valvoline oil runs clean and good with much less smoke in my old Johnno 15Hp. Never had a problem with it. I have never mixed the stuff though. Always used a fresh tank of gas when switching oils.