PDA

View Full Version : who fishes locally and who travels to fish???

1lastcast
11-06-2008, 11:23 AM
Hi all Just curious to find out who fishes thier local waters exclusively and who travels away to fish other spots

Im in brissie and fish both my local waters and some times travel up or down the coast to fish different times of the year

and if you travel is it because you find the fishing better or do you travel to target speicies not in your area tell me your thoughts

Regards MONOSTRETCHO

revs57
11-06-2008, 11:37 AM
G'day Mono,

Well up to the fuel hike I've done most of my fishing out of the Sunny coast, travelling from Brisvegus south side. I had a heap of marks given to me as starters and added each trip with more good fish, snapper, pearlies, coro's, cobia, AJ's usual stuff.

These days, I'm carving $150.00 off the cost of a trip from towing and launching from Manly which is just around the corner. I've spent a lot of time trying to work out Moreton, just when you think you've got it, it all changes...

Anyway, that's it, mostly Moreton offshore these days, with the odd trip to the sunny coast.

cheers

Rhys

Cheech
11-06-2008, 12:14 PM
Same as Rhys, I was getting onto fishing sunshine coast, but just cannot afford it unless I have a boat full to share the costs. So been fishing more local lately. Around the cape. Getting back to the bay Islands again as well.

They say that if you can't afford the fuel, you should not own a boat. In the past I could afford it. But now it is getting more difficult. No way I am selling, so just need to be a bit more smarter with trips.

Cheech

Cammy
11-06-2008, 03:04 PM
I Fish localy, since i cant really get around the place on my own. But i do someitmes go to bribie to catch fish! since almost every land based spot in brisbane is fished out except for 1 or 2. At bribie you actually CATCH fish, at my little secret spot that is!

Cammo

ronnien
11-06-2008, 03:29 PM
mono, the fishing up here in t'ville is to good to go else where, been fishing local for 30 odd years in the creeks, bays & sometimes the reef. now i am teaching my son all the secrets i know & on the odd occasion he out fish's me lol. i swear if he was allowed to sleep in the boat he would!

ron.

aussiefool
11-06-2008, 03:50 PM
I used to travel for a fish, but found that I still got more fish in my local spot so for the last 2 years I only fish that. Got sick and tired of hearing ...... should of been here the other day.... last week ect ....

scrubba01
11-06-2008, 03:58 PM
I fish anywhere from Yamba to 1770 but most of the trips I do are sunshine coast and Widebay area. If I am short on time or am just looking for a bit of family fun will go out on the bay or offshore Moreton as the other trips need an overnighter to justify the travel.

honda900
11-06-2008, 04:22 PM
I am based in brissy so like to fish local, off shore and the goldie, dont mind a trip to the goldie have some good marks so happy to give it a bash have had mixed results but thats fishing.

I fish in the bay on bad weather days and sometimes offshore although my record off the front of moreton has been pretty poor.

Fuel costs, when you consider what it costs to tow the boat to the goldie or travel offshore moreton through sth passage, it really doesnt make that much difference, either your spending it in the car or spending it in the boat.

Have plans to fish maloolabar, just havnt had the right weather when I was able to go..

Monostrecho, I use manly a fair bit haven't seen you there wont miss you though.., but great place to launch from..

Regards
Honda

onerabbit
11-06-2008, 04:23 PM
Nuh,
live in Ballina, fish in Ballina,
with a couple of trips to Evans Head thrown in.

Guess I've geen lucky enough to live within a mile of the ramp, & had the time spare to go exploring our local area,
250 good marks off Ballina now, I started with half a dozen starters out of a book & went from there.

If I travel away, I dont know where to go................

Muzz

TimiBoy
11-06-2008, 04:37 PM
I fish locally, in the Bay and outside. I don't go far because my fishing sucks, and I might as well suck locally, it's cheaper!!!;D;D;D

But when I get my Cruiser I may go further afield. Only once my fishing improves though...

1lastcast
11-06-2008, 05:04 PM
I mainly fish offshore gold coast and tweed and moreton bay i still have a little exploring to do offshore cape moreton once i get enough courage to tackle the south passage bar .

then i might head up to maloolooba and check it out theres so much ocean out there i plan on tackling it a bit at a time

so i mainly fish localy i guess at least at the moment

Poodroo
11-06-2008, 05:32 PM
I live local to almost any location. Beenleigh area is central to a lot of places. I can travel to the Gold Coast in 20mins, be on the water in the Bay in 30mins, be in the Pin in 20 mins. With that many "local" spots I consider myself to be very lucky indeed.;D

Poodroo

cobiaman
11-06-2008, 05:53 PM
I mainly fish offshore gold coast and tweed and moreton bay i still have a little exploring to do offshore cape moreton once i get enough courage to tackle the south passage bar .

then i might head up to maloolooba and check it out theres so much ocean out there i plan on tackling it a bit at a time

so i mainly fish localy i guess at least at the moment

why not try running up the inside of moreton island if you want to go to the cape, theres basically no bar up the northern end

SummerTrance
11-06-2008, 06:26 PM
Well I live at Keperra, and usually fish in the bay. It takes me 40 mins to get to whyte island ramp. I fish Noosa when i go up there to visit my my oldies.

Keen to plan a trip to fish Hervy Bay sometime.

BrewGuru
11-06-2008, 06:31 PM
My plan generally depending on wind, ex Scarborough to Cape Moreton, anchor that night, generally Bulwer or Yellow Patch off to deep tempest first light, anchor again that night. Shallow Tempest next day, then if thats no good Caloundra wide.....thats my plan!

shorty 01
11-06-2008, 06:37 PM
i do both where ever the fish are ill be there

NAGG
11-06-2008, 07:29 PM
Hey Mono ...... I must be the "grass is always greener" type fishoe
Even when I fish my local waters ....... I still like to fish new areas ..... The adventure aspect needs to be a part of my fishing:) .....Its not just about catching fish! :o :o ...... As I look to the lounge room floor , there are 2 maps on the floor ..... as I want to fish some new waters in the middle reaches of the Hawkesbury river! ........ & this is what I call local fishing::)

Then 4 or 5 times a year ...... I'll go to the effort to plan & travel from Sydney to
FNQ , SE Qld ..... or the Snowy Mountains ..... or some other new destination:) ....... I just cant help my self ( My boat has been towed close to 15,000 km ..... in 18 months)
THE GRASS IS ALWAYS GREENER ...... In someone else's neck of the woods:P

Cheers

Nagg

Jeremy87
11-06-2008, 07:43 PM
fuel doesn't hurt so bad for me since 50% of my fishing is from a canoe 20% in dads tiny which we only take out on the bay, estuaries and impoundments, the new 40hp fourstroke does about 3.8k/L so really can't complain. the other 30% in other people boats. but i do drive around heaps to get to fishing spots. i'll drive about 1-1.5 hours for a half day trip 2 hours for a full day 2.5-3.5 for a weekend. i suppose driving time is more a factor than the fuel. when i fish in other peoples boats the fuel share is normally less than 50 bucks so not so bad.

stevedemon
11-06-2008, 09:22 PM
Hi all
I am probably lucky in my location of Logan city being central to Morton, Jumpinpin,
and the Gold Coast I change locations for the reasons of a change is as good as a holiday.
and depends on weather and time of year as well for the different species.

Cheers
Steve

1lastcast
11-06-2008, 10:35 PM
Hey NAGG i used to love fishing the hawksbury system , i used to sit at berowra waters in my boat freezing my nuts of in the middle of winter with a live mullet out then wack another big jewie

But the only problem was until i moved to brisbane i never stopped 1 of those big jewies i must of hooked 25 of them

i hope you have more luck with them than i did

i also fished as far up the river as wisemans ferry theres a lot of water to cover in the hawksbury

YOU COULD SPEND A LIFETIME EXPLORING THAT RIVER !!

MONOSTRETCHO

blaze
11-06-2008, 11:12 PM
I do both, love to go out locally with mates and catch a feed and have a yarn and I travel as often as possible to fish the further the better. It dont worry me that I may not catch a fish (bloody rapted when I do) But the people you meet along the way is what does it for me.
cheers
blaze

Luc
12-06-2008, 01:52 AM
Mostly local fishing, Pine Rivers, Redcliffe

Occasionally, Puminstone Passage, Somerset Dam

Once a year, Lenthals / Monduran / Awonga

Fuel not really a problem yet!!

More a time problem.

Luc

NAGG
12-06-2008, 08:58 AM
Hey NAGG i used to love fishing the hawksbury system , i used to sit at berowra waters in my boat freezing my nuts of in the middle of winter with a live mullet out then wack another big jewie

But the only problem was until i moved to brisbane i never stopped 1 of those big jewies i must of hooked 25 of them

i hope you have more luck with them than i did

i also fished as far up the river as wisemans ferry theres a lot of water to cover in the hawksbury

YOU COULD SPEND A LIFETIME EXPLORING THAT RIVER !!

MONOSTRETCHO

Hi Mono ...... I've done a bit of Jewying in the lower sections . with reasonable success ........ but never the big one :(
I'm actually looking at the Wisemans ferry to the lower Portland section to look for some good Bass , EP & Bream waters ....... but I also know that this stretch can hold some good Jew too ( first trip should be in a week or so) ...... Just for something different:P
Cheers
Nagg

webby
12-06-2008, 09:54 AM
some times i fish the bay, sometimes i fish offshore, sometimes i fish the pin (but only when the wx sucks), sometimes i fish the fresh (but thats only when it snows), sometimes i fish in my sleep (especially after a nite on the turps),
sometimes i fish on aufish (but that mainly to stir things up), sometimes i fish weekends (only because not everyones available midweek),
but most of the time i fish midweek, when all the hooligans are at work.
sometimes i dont fish at all (have to work).
sometimes when the fuel is $3 it still wont stop me doing one of the above sometimes, and sometime in the future i may never use a plastic.
but i do no that sometime in the future i'll fish in Hell, as i sure wont be allowed in Heaven.

Kleyny
12-06-2008, 10:14 AM
some times i fish the bay, sometimes i fish offshore, sometimes i fish the pin (but only when the wx sucks), sometimes i fish the fresh (but thats only when it snows), sometimes i fish in my sleep (especially after a nite on the turps),
sometimes i fish on aufish (but that mainly to stir things up), sometimes i fish weekends (only because not everyones available midweek),
but most of the time i fish midweek, when all the hooligans are at work.
sometimes i dont fish at all (have to work).
sometimes when the fuel is $3 it still wont stop me doing one of the above sometimes, and sometime in the future i may never use a plastic.
but i do no that sometime in the future i'll fish in Hell, as i sure wont be allowed in Heaven.

WOW 12 "sometimes". I'm guessing you fish sometimes:P :P ;D

neil

Xahn1960
12-06-2008, 10:30 AM
If your local spot is 6-8 hrs drive away can it still be called local ????? I tend to favour the Gulf, Karumba in particular.

Bill.

1lastcast
12-06-2008, 12:37 PM
C`MON webby your not that bad you should get into heaven.

If you take me to some of your secret spots i`ll put in a good word for you ;D lol !!

MONOSTRETCHO

work2fish
12-06-2008, 01:11 PM
Im with you MONOSTRETCHO I fish over to the islands down to the pin and offshore up the coast

Not to mention every holiday Towing to new destination;)

W2F

Scott nthQld
12-06-2008, 01:46 PM
I used to travel with the old man to go fishing a lot, but now we've moved to Townsville we only fish the local creeks, bay's, the occasional reef trip. I still haven't got the place sussed properly yet, so until I start making some headway on that I will be fishing locally. Another thing is, there's still a few species on my "to catch list", yet another reason to stay local for now.

choppa
12-06-2008, 03:17 PM
we use to do a lot of travelling/fishing trips,,,,, then the job changed to a 6 day a week,,,average 12-13 hrs a day scenario,,,, and it totally %^%$# it,,,,

now i'm basically local,,,,,,, pumicestone,,,,beachmere,,,,occassional run out the front,,,,,, or a land based adventure with chopjr

keeping in mind tho' i've been known to do a spur of the moment trip to hervey to catch up with a few of the lads every now and then,,,,,,,,,,,

choppa

Pelagic 660
13-06-2008, 07:48 AM
I live around 2hrs from Manly ramp and used to put in a Scarbourough and fish Hutchies but have now joined Manly as the trip is about 80km round trip less, So i guess manly is now my local and I will fish there mainly. I have 2 weeks planned at noosaville and have never fished there but this may become the regular family hol so hopefully I can find some good spots.

Trevor

haggis
13-06-2008, 09:59 PM
I fish from manly to noosa , but try to get up to gladstone / awoonga at least once a year . have still to catch the legal barra but the wife wont let me forget that fact she also laughs at the gt I caught in the boyne river . probably the smallest fish to ever swallow a four o hook . as she said where does the giant part come in trevally . but it is not all about catching fish (especially when the handbrake out fishes you all the time ) but getting away from the daily grind .
cheers haggis ...........................

jtpython
14-06-2008, 07:27 AM
I travel about 23 km to the harbour ramp at Rosslyn Bay Yeppoon to launch the boat and when Comps are on like the Boyne Tannum Island Hook up i don't mind the extra time to drive there towing the boat.
We don't live far from Cooraman Creek about 3 km so it isn't far to run the tinnie down to it , when we are keen enuff.
It's the drive home that's the hardest part after you've been out all day and night and you know you still have a couple hours of cleaning and filleting to do
Cheers JT

Waraba Mick
14-06-2008, 07:36 PM
Caboolture based, i would say 98% of my fishing is local (Pumicestone Passage) short tow more time fishing.I do one away trip per year (sandy strait)and have done a couple of trips to the western side of Cape York. A few mates,small tents,12 foot tinnies,crocs,pigs,barra,jacks did someone mention heaven before,i think i may have been there!

Mick

dnej
15-06-2008, 07:36 AM
Takes me an hour to travel from Logan Village,11km south of Waterford,to Cleveland.I am a member of Redlands Boat Club.
Getting expensive now,with these fuel prices.Be around 90km,round trip
David

Outsider1
15-06-2008, 09:40 AM
Takes me an hour to travel from Logan Village,11km south of Waterford,to Cleveland.I am a member of Redlands Boat Club.
Getting expensive now,with these fuel prices.Be around 90km,round trip
David

Is the Logan fresh at Waterford David?

Have you ever done the trip by boat, or thought about it?

Lovely area around Waterford.

Cheers

Dave

Breambuster33
15-06-2008, 12:34 PM
being so close to the water... 5 minute walk 90% of the time is locally.
do like to go up the rivers which are a bit further away;)

major-defect
17-06-2008, 04:15 AM
I fish localy and like to go away as well.I live 1 street from the water and launch straight of the beach so usually nice and close.

STUIE63
18-06-2008, 08:52 AM
Depends what you call local I live in townsville but the boat lives at Halifax at the hinchinbrook channel 100 kms away .
Stuie