PDA

View Full Version : Which 40hp Four stroke

wheelerdog
11-06-2008, 07:52 AM
After leaving the Torres Strait and putting the cruisecraft on the market, i am looking to repower a 420 dory. boat is to be used on the Murray with annual trip to the territory.

I am looking at a 40hp tiller steer power trim electric start.

I have had 40hp 4st yammie before, but they are getting left behind with no EFI on the 40hp.

has anyone had experience with suzi and merc 4 stroke 40hp. do they have the same fancy tiller steer set up as the larger yammies, ie trolling control etc.

any assistance appreciated.

PS not interested in an ETEC

Noelm
11-06-2008, 09:45 AM
what no Etec??? I guess it all comes down to what you like, they are all good, have a bit of a look at them all and see which ones have the features you want at the price that is fair (and the Dealer is good)

FNQCairns
11-06-2008, 10:24 AM
Just a thought, a carb 4st means it could still be working well in 40years with very few expensive replacement parts over it's entire life - EFI = no chance of that happening.

cheers fnq

Az
11-06-2008, 10:39 AM
can't really go wrong with any of the 4 strokes out at the moment..
I would just shop around and see who will give you the best deal

FISHOLOT
11-06-2008, 01:01 PM
Hi, I have a 40hp EFI Mercury tiller fitted to a 420 Explorer Trophy and find it great, Like you I use it up the river a fair bit and its also been up Darwin way a few times chasing barra. Two mates have them on the back of their 435 Hornet Trophy and they are happy with them, both have heaps more hours on them than mine and no problems so far. Nice and quiet, no fumes, good fuel economy. No dramas so far, got 175 hours on it. I think any of the current 4 strokes are pretty good motors and it probably comes down to personal preference, warranty and pricing. In the end as long as you are happy with what you buy thats the main thing, regardless of brand.
Cheers John

Spaniard_King
11-06-2008, 01:06 PM
Honda has just released it's new 40/50 models and claim to be the best in that class:o .

I have scanned the latest brochure for you to have a look;) .

pdf's arnt that good but you get some info..if ya got good eyes:-[

wheelerdog
11-06-2008, 02:51 PM
thats put honda back on the list of possibilites, they did have a gap in there range and that covers it.

I had "always" been a yamaha man until i bought a black anchor;) and the merc has been faultless.

dollars and features will be the winner i guess.

thanks