PDA

View Full Version : barron river

johnny roger
10-06-2008, 09:47 PM
Gday all the FNQer's,
just wondering if anyone has sighted any crocs at or near the barron river boat ramp? the one at the bridge. i am one day going to be a first time launcher at the ramp, and am wondering if it is safe to go and launch there with kids and spend the day there.
John

GAD
10-06-2008, 10:45 PM
G'day John,
Couldn't tell you about the barron as haven't fished it or been in it for years , but there are still croc's in the inlet , so by association I would say there are still croc's in the baron , and the salty's have been seen as far up as lake placid .

Greg

Walker
11-06-2008, 02:21 PM
Hi Johnny Roger,

I've been to that boat ramp weekly for my live bait and fished from the jetty 200metres up just as much. I have never heard of or seen a croc there as of late. With the amount of jetskis and avid anglers using this ramp I'd say even the crocs have been scared off because I'm starting to think it is also well fished out! The Trinity Inlet is very kind to all from my experiences of late.

Regards,
Paul

johnny roger
11-06-2008, 03:38 PM
Hi Johnny Roger,

I've been to that boat ramp weekly for my live bait and fished from the jetty 200metres up just as much. I have never heard of or seen a croc there as of late. With the amount of jetskis and avid anglers using this ramp I'd say even the crocs have been scared off because I'm starting to think it is also well fished out! The Trinity Inlet is very kind to all from my experiences of late.

Regards,
Paul
thanks for that paul. much appreciated.
John

Walker
11-06-2008, 03:40 PM
No probs mate!

Paul

Bad_Bubby
11-06-2008, 05:19 PM
I've launched at the Barron dozens of times over the past few years with no sightings or dramas (we often return after dark too). I'd call both the inlet and Barron pretty croc safe; both are well used and well lit. But like always in NQ a bit of common sense never goes astray!

Thedoc
11-06-2008, 09:11 PM
No worries there mate like the lads have said before, safe as. Very busy spot. As Bad Bubby said be sensible but is pretty reasonable there and in most of the Inlet.
Now the Daintree a different matter ! Plenty of crocs thru the system up there.

johnny roger
11-06-2008, 11:10 PM
No worries there mate like the lads have said before, safe as. Very busy spot. As Bad Bubby said be sensible but is pretty reasonable there and in most of the Inlet.
Now the Daintree a different matter ! Plenty of crocs thru the system up there.
hey doc, thanks for that. yeah would not even contemplate a trip up the daintree! what about the port douglas ramp? how is it there?
John

chop duster
12-06-2008, 12:40 PM
Barron ramp is fine, have seen a decent croc sunning himself up at the barron tomatis creek junction a few years ago, buts thats it.
Chinaman creek up the inlet holds a couple of crocs, haven't seen one over 2.5 metres yet though.
Mate as long as your not planning on having a swim, you'll be right