PDA

View Full Version : Toress Straits - fishing - looking fo crew 2009

BrewGuru
10-06-2008, 07:56 PM
I have just spent 8 days in the Toress Straits based at Horn Island and travelling by ferry to Thursday Island.
Possibly some of the best fishing I have seen.
The jetty at Horn Island is surrounded by masses of shoaling bait fish, so thick its like a moving live carpet of fish, scattering occasionally to avoid preditators, you can't see the bottom for bait fish!!!.
The locals don't buy bait, they just use bait jigs,catch live bait and fish.
Whilst I was there on my early morning walks to the jetty, I saw fantastic fish being caught, spanish mackeral, queenfish, tuna, cod, baracuda and GT"S absolutely amazing.
We went Island hopping in a 18' Brooker fibreglass centre console, towing a lure beside the reef system within 15 minutes we had, 2 barracuda, 3 Gt's and coral trout. Part of that charter was also visting the Pearl Farm on Friday Island, whilst we were learning the art of pearling (shit load of hard work and risk) our host was flicking a lure at the back of the boat, caught two coral trout, one cod and two queenfish.
My old boat turns 60 next year and it was built to service the Torres Straits in 1949 by Norman Wright and Sons, I will be leaving about this time next year ex Scarborough and cruising up to the Waiben's first port of call, the locals are expecting her and will celebrate her visit, the local business community is behind it as so is the Mayor and deputy Mayor, we are also expecting some media coverage.
So if you are experienced, can take the time off, do your bit to help out, I'd like to hear from you.

bondy99
11-06-2008, 01:07 PM
G'day, I would not mind, I've worked on trawlers down south but coral reef areas are a different ball game, Cyclones I'm not keen on these days. Send me a pm and I'll give you the run down.

Peter

BrewGuru
12-06-2008, 08:05 PM
Trip is on, have sent PM

Horse
13-06-2008, 08:03 AM
It would be a great trip. I have not been up that way but have brought a vessel down from Innisfail a few years ago. What sort of timeframe are you looking at?

Cheers

Neil

red rock cod
17-06-2008, 05:09 PM
Were You With Tonys Island Charters?
Great Place And Hospitality At The Pearl Farm.
Go To Ti Every Year.
Am Retired.
Let Us Know Some Details For 2009
would love to make the trip

BrewGuru
14-08-2008, 07:05 PM
Were You With Tonys Island Charters?
Great Place And Hospitality At The Pearl Farm.
Go To Ti Every Year.
Am Retired.
Let Us Know Some Details For 2009
would love to make the trip

Yep Tony is a hell of a nice guy and loves his fishing, the Pearl farm was an eye opener and Daniel from the Ferry is keen to join us in Cairns for the trip to TI depending on work commitments

The Planning is in the early stages, but this is what we have so far, leave Scarborough approximately 18 th October 2009 6.00 am arrive Lady Musgrave Island or Gladstone at 6.00pm on the 19th anchor up, chill out, due a non stop to Mackay, anchor up, reprovision in Mackay, day off to recharge batteries, then due a non stop to Cairns, reprovision, water fresh foods, maybe some washing, day off in Cairns, then non stop to TI on 3 to 4 hour watches. arrive in Ti on or about the 30th October.

Depending on work commitments etc, the crew may change in Mackay and or Cairns.

The return trip I will be turfing the crew in Mackay, wifey will be jumping on board we will cruise the Whitsundays for a week or two, then return her back to Mackay to get on the plane back to Brisbane, get another a crew aboard and two to four days back to Scarborough........ thats the plan today