PDA

View Full Version : Gold Coast Charter

bluefin59
10-06-2008, 07:40 PM
Just a quick note tonight ,i went of the goldy again today on SEA PROBE CHARTERS with captain GAV and my mate euwan ,we left early and checked out a few closer reefs today and then went out the fifties to look for some kingies and pearlies . We had no luck with the kings but caught a nice mixed bag today a few pearlies nothing too big but some nice fish just the same ,we also caught some trag ,snapper and some other odds and sods . ALso got a jewie which was nice ,me and my mate fished placcies only and made a good account of our selves we certainly outfished the bait brigade again . Anyway thought i would let you know what happened and to post a few piccys. ............matt

seastorm
10-06-2008, 08:46 PM
Where you using SP on the 50's if so what size jig head did you use? and what type

themissus
11-06-2008, 03:13 PM
Nice jewie!! Sounds like a great trip, go the plastics!! Best thing is you don't stink of dead stuff at the end of the day.
Cheers Kim.

coucho
11-06-2008, 03:35 PM
Nice jewie!! Sounds like a great trip, go the plastics!! Best thing is you don't stink of dead stuff at the end of the day.
Cheers Kim.
If it doesn't make you smell bad it isn't any fun ;)

Nice work matt sounds like a great day

bluefin59
11-06-2008, 03:45 PM
Thanks guys and gals it is a great day on the placies out there no slime ,smelly hands with bait and you seem to by pass a lot of the smaller stuff and the ones you get are quality ,we use 1 1/2 oz and sometimes 2 oz jigheads depending on the wind and current but we try to keep it to 1 1/2 oz and 7 in gulps . My mate caught the jewie using his 2500 sol would you believe with 20 lb braid with the colour codeing so he knows how far he is getting ,iam useing a 4000capricorn ...matt The jig heads are t/ts

backlash08
15-06-2008, 08:21 AM
nice jewies and good going on the spin gear - cheers - Craig

yellahunter
24-06-2008, 12:23 PM
another great report Matt,
just wondered what weight/size rods are you guys using with the 2500/4000 reels..?

Cheers,

Ben

skipalong
24-06-2008, 03:21 PM
great quality fish mate

bluefin59
24-06-2008, 05:55 PM
Hi ben i am useing a live fibreblades and tales sportfishing series rod 7 ft 6-10kg with a 4000 capricorn ,my mate is useing a 3-6 kg daiwa rod of some sort with a 2500 sol . I have just had a graphiteu.s.a rod made that i am taking next trip that i am going on on the monday after R2M it is 3-8 kg and i am going to put the tierra 3000 on it with 25lb braid the rod has titnium nanolite guides and a fuji reel seat so we will see if i can put a big boy onthat . I just love the placcies ...matt

work2fish
24-06-2008, 11:44 PM
Looks like you hade a great day nice jew

W2f

Braddles
26-06-2008, 09:35 PM
Nice fish mate!

I am heading out again with Sea Probe / Gav on Monday the 7th. Apparently been lots of snapper around of late.... which will keep me happy...

Anyone know if Gav's brother still doing deckie job occasionly? Last few times we have had someone else..... he is OK - but hard to compete with Gav's brother for a deckie...

tailorboi99
29-06-2008, 11:25 AM
Nice jew there mate. Looks like you had a brilliant day!

bluefin59
29-06-2008, 01:57 PM
I am heading out with the boys on the 14 th of july again ,cant wait me and my mate euwan always catch some nice fish on the placcies and we fish the bow of the boat by ourselves so we dont get caught up with the bait brigade . The bloke that has been deckie for gav the last couple of times out his name is robbie he's not bad either but he stays down the back looking after the bait boys ...matt

SURLY
29-06-2008, 10:20 PM
Hey Bluefin

Seen you around mud a fair bit. Unfortunately had a few bad experiences with sea probe (although some years ago) so will take a fair bit of convincing before i try them again but glad to see you pulling a few fish on plastics. Hopefully you are fishing R2M and support the placcies boys in knocking of the bait brigade

Cheers Craig

Braddles
01-07-2008, 07:03 PM
Hey Bluefin

Seen you around mud a fair bit. Unfortunately had a few bad experiences with sea probe (although some years ago) so will take a fair bit of convincing before i try them again but glad to see you pulling a few fish on plastics. Hopefully you are fishing R2M and support the placcies boys in knocking of the bait brigade

Cheers Craig

Hey Craig;

With interest I read your post - and would be really keen to hear of your negative experience with Sea Probe. You can PM me if you like. I have no connection with the family.

The reason I ask, is I have used them for last 5 years or so, generally 4-6 times a year. Gav has always been skipper, and formerly his brother was always the deckie. Compared to other charter companies I have been with, they are always willing to use fuel and travel further if they have to, to put you on the fish. Gav's brother (cant remember name) was always so helpful - couldnt do enough, both in what you expect, but he would always catch livies for us to use (PB Cobia) and teach me new techniques etc, and would fillet my fish once docked if I asked him. Two top fellas.

After I gave them a big wrap, I invited a few of the consultants from work out. Eager to impress them and show them a good time. This time, new deckie. We had 7, there were 2 randoms on the boat too from another group. Didnt speak to us and always sat up top with Deckie and Gav usually between spots.

These 2 mysterously knew the plan for the day, before we headed out through the sea way. They BYO jigging outfits, and jigged, while us without jigs were left to bait our hooks, remove fish, sort out tangles / birds nests from inexperienced colleagues, while the deckie also jigged, or caught livies, which he exclusively gave to the other two, rigging their lines with the livies.

Between spots, he would go up and "sleep" on the bridge, and when we pull up to new spot, only then he would rebait / rerig etc - and with fast drifts over active spots - I got a little pee'd off..... as did my guests.

Also, we wanted table fish, yet the other two wanted to troll, despite hours of nothing... Admittedly, we didnt say we were peed either - but would have expected

1. courtesy of discussion of plan for the day to all crew
2. Vote for majority rules on style of fishing
3. Deckie to not be so overt to favour two crew (obviously friends or family etc).

Will be giving them another chance shortly.... will be interested to see if this was an isolated bad experience from dozens of super exceptional trips, or if times are a changing.

Regards,

Brad.

hooknose
01-07-2008, 07:47 PM
Hey guys, Gavs brother has been working doing hand rails on high rises around the Goldy, still gets out on the boat occasionally.
Cheers !!!

Braddles
01-07-2008, 09:07 PM
Thanks hooknose :-)