PDA

View Full Version : Moreton Bay Seafood Industry Association Wins Prestigious UN Environmental Award

Derek Bullock
10-06-2008, 02:23 PM
MEDIA RELEASE Tuesday 10 June 2008

Moreton Bay fishermen win prestigious environmental award

The Moreton Bay seafood industry can stand shoulder to shoulder with any in
the world when it comes to demonstrating environmental credentials.

The efforts of commercial fishermen in Moreton Bay have recently been
recognized as the Moreton Bay Seafood Industry Association (MBSIA) won a
United Nations World Environment Day Award – for Excellence in Marine and
Coastal Management.

The awards were announced at a Gala Presentation Dinner held in Melbourne on Friday 6th June 2008. The annual national Awards Program acknowledges action taken at the local level to address global environmental issues.

MBSIA Chief Executive Officer Kellie Williams, says we can be proud that much of our seafood industry is going above and beyond compulsory practices, and implementing a variety of initiatives and programs aimed at reducing bycatch, protecting fish habitats and improving water quality.

“A fisherman adapting his tools and techniques is as much an example of ‘conservation’ as a community group planting up sand dunes on a Sunday morning. “The only way Australia can tackle issues like coastal and marine degradation is if community, industry and government work together. This is what MBSIA has managed to achieve through our Environmental Management System or EMS.

“The fishermen of Moreton Bay can hold their heads high and feel proud of this amazing achievement. All we need now is for the Queensland Government to recognize their efforts when making policy decisions”, said Ms Williams.
Fishermen have cleaned up their act over the past few years and are urging the
Queensland Government to recognise this as they make decisions about where fishing can and cannot occur through the Moreton Bay Marine Park Zoning Plan.
MBSIA Chairman Robert Brock hopes that when EPA unveil their new Marine Park Plan later this year that it will include all of the alternatives suggested by a $200,000 independant research study funded by the Fisheries Research and Development Corporation.

“Moreton Bay fishermen through partnership with the recreational fishing sector, top scientists and other industries have developed an alternative plan for zoning of 2 Moreton Bay’s Marine Park that would protect dugongs and seagrass for the future, without destroying the Moreton Bay seafood industry.

“The review of the zoning plan is a landmark opportunity for the Queensland
Government to not only protect the marine environment, but also to recognize
Moreton Bay fishermen’s commitment to environmental sustainability, rather than punishing them for it.

“The $17 million allocated for structural adjustment through the recent Queensland Government budget announcement is not going to be anywhere near enough to offset impacts and remove sufficient fishing effort in Moreton Bay.

“It is bad enough that the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) are punishing
these fishermen for good environmental efforts – the least the Government can do is allow these guys to exit the industry with some dignity.

“We estimate that approximately $40 million would be required to achieve this – and that does not take into account offshore or land-based businesses who should also be included in the package”, said Mr Brock.

Moreton Bay’s $100 million seafood industry is vital to our economy and an important part of our history and culture. It is also the backbone of many rural and regional centres of south east Queensland, estimated to generate around 3,000 jobs.

PHOTO OPPORTUNITY – SHOTS WITH COMMERCIAL FISHERMAN &
VESSEL AT LOCAL WHARF.

For more information please contact:
MBSIA Chief Executive Officer Kellie Williams on 07 3868 1125 or 0409 594

Lucky_Phill
10-06-2008, 02:57 PM
Thanks Derek.

I have said this before in relation to the zoning plans for Moreton Bay and that is the people that use the bay know what is best and do what they can now to protect the environment and practice sustainable fishing for both the recreational and commercial industries.

Surely the EPA must take note of this award and put some faith in the proposals submitted by the MBAA ( funded by the FRDC ), although as a recreational angler, I am not fully supportive of the MBAA's proposal.

With this release, the scientific data on Turtle dieases and the overriding of the EPA in regard to dredging the bay and destroying mangroves for the new runway, I see the writing on the wall.... the EPA must now take notice of common sense and scientific research in it's final proposals for the MBMP zonings.

all IMO..only

Phill

Mike Delisser
10-06-2008, 11:01 PM
Apart from the fact the EPA is full of animal liberationists these days.

PADDLES
11-06-2008, 08:10 AM
true words phil. we can only hope that they do take notice and have a serious look at the MBAA proposal.

TheRealAndy
12-06-2008, 08:42 PM
Thanks Derek.

I have said this before in relation to the zoning plans for Moreton Bay and that is the people that use the bay know what is best and do what they can now to protect the environment and practice sustainable fishing for both the recreational and commercial industries.

Surely the EPA must take note of this award and put some faith in the proposals submitted by the MBAA ( funded by the FRDC ), although as a recreational angler, I am not fully supportive of the MBAA's proposal.

With this release, the scientific data on Turtle dieases and the overriding of the EPA in regard to dredging the bay and destroying mangroves for the new runway, I see the writing on the wall.... the EPA must now take notice of common sense and scientific research in it's final proposals for the MBMP zonings.

all IMO..only

Phill

Well apparently its the rec fisho's that are doing all the damage. That is according to peter shooter anyway.

A bit OT, but Mr Shooter was claiming that all the EPA info was based on rec studies, but I commented at the last meeting that I have never seen an EPA or DPI officer up Nundah creek, so where did they get there info from?