PDA

View Full Version : Tackle for the coral sea

fishing@airlie
10-06-2008, 01:46 PM
Hi guys,
This is my first post so please bare with me. i have been lucky enough for my old man to get me on a trip to bugatti reef and beyond. I do have a reasonable amount of experience with reef fishing but never any GT or Dogtooth fishing. My standard gear is tld 20 with a backbone rod and 50lb braid.

I was wondering what kind of gear you guys might recommend for casting poppers and jigging out on the reef as i only have overhead reels. I would appreciate any rod, reel and line hints if possible.

thanks
Scotty

TonyM
10-06-2008, 02:47 PM
Hi Scotty,

Popular topic at the moment!

Here's 2 recent threads on the subject
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=132047

&

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=132085

Line isn't discussed on those 2 threads, although I'd recommend you get a decent 8 pic braid. I'll be using 40lb Nitlon PE, although that will be on a 4500 reel running 9kg drag.

With a heavier reel you might want to up the ante to 60-80lb especially if the main use will be popping & jigging, I opted for 40 as there would be no real benefit going over that for the drag I'll be running, plus I'll mostly be using medium size poppers rather than the mega size ones for the really big GT's.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Tony

fishing@airlie
10-06-2008, 11:25 PM
Thanks Tony,

I like the look of the nitro godzilla rod. Anyway that should give me a starting point to do some more research.

wheelerdog
11-06-2008, 07:38 AM
7 ft - 15/24kg live fibre with a tss4 with 80lb fins braid, it takes some serious hanging onto when loaded up with 50lbs of GT:D nevr caught a big doggie on it though, :'(

you really need to get into training if you are going to be casting and retriving 200mm plus poppers all day, big river 2 seas and big gillies knock you up real quick.

it is the best fun you can have with your pants on ;D

lethal098
11-06-2008, 03:17 PM
scotty, are you going out on nomad, if so you can get some info from them on reccomended gear to take with you, i would reccomend taking it all with you as if not you have to purchase it all on board at premium price. if you can afford stradic 20000 would be the go with live fibre as suggested above, and yeah get into the gym for some training. cheers lethal

ronnien
11-06-2008, 03:36 PM
i fish with a custom built gary horward matched with a penn 850 spinfisher & 50lb braid, the biggest thing i've got with this is a 200-250 qld groper out on a wreck just past keeper reef.

ron.

dog tooth
11-06-2008, 04:34 PM
If you are going with nomad they let you borrow a jigging and popping rods

cheers
dog tooth

SimonT
11-06-2008, 04:51 PM
I assume you are going with Nomad. If that is the case don't bother taking any of your own gear as they will supply the rods and reels for popping and jigging (all Stella reels and T-Curve rods). I just got back last week from a trip to Marion Reef with them and was more than happy with the gear supplied. I took some smaller spin rods of my own out in 30 and 50lb for some fun. The 50 was good, but they do have 30lb spin outfits on board. Also the prices on the boat aren't as high as people would have you believe. The gear is top quality and priced accordingly, but is not much more than you would pay in shops on the mainland (within 10% from what I saw). I took out a heap of gear (I am a tackle rat) and didn't use alot of it. If you don't plan on doing this type of fishing often you would be better off to buy what you need on the boat as it would likely save you alot of money on gear you won't ever use.

Simon

fishing@airlie
11-06-2008, 06:02 PM
Thanks all who have posted,

I am not actually going on Nomad the name of the mothership is Centurion i believe. Anyway i went around to a few tackle store the other day and was advised strongly to go with the new daiwa range. One that got my interest is the sealine bull 6000 as it is quite well priced and seems to have a quick enough retrieve and is advertised as having 15kg of drag.

As for rods haven't found one i really like. The guys in the shops keep trying to convince me to go for a two piece rod as they reckon they are just as strong these days but i'm not convinced. Your thoughts?

TonyM
11-06-2008, 06:41 PM
I wasn't sold on 2 pieces as a serious rod until I got my first Nitro - they really are capable rods

A mate uses them for his charter customers here in Hervey Bay, check out the reports on http://www.frasercoastsportfishing.com to get an idea of how they perform. As charter outfits they cop a regular caning and have only ever heard good feedback from Paul about the Nitros, as has been my personal experience since using them for a few years

I love the Nitro 2 pieces now, so much easier to tuck them away safely in the boat or car withought doing stupid things like shutting them in the car door and have never had a problem.

Nitro even make 7 piece travel rods now that seem to be getting a good rap from some serious sportsfishers!

If you are looking to buy a dedicated heavy jigging outfit perhaps a one piece might be better, If that's what you're after check out a Saltiga Hiramasa or maybe a monster mesh. (plenty others out there although these seem to get a good rap from many guys with experience in heavy jigging) there's quite a few custom rod builders who make sexy jigging rods also if you want to look down that path.

I should say that I have zero experience at heavy jigging personally, have just been talking to a lot of people and researching on a lot of sites over the last few weeks to try to come up to speed!

Cheers
Tony

wheelerdog
11-06-2008, 11:18 PM
fortunately i have fished a alot of crazy places without the need of a charter, if you are paying alot of coin and they are providing the gear it is a no brainer. If you are providing your own gear it ownly has to survive a week. if it blows up before you eyes after after a week of nailing monster GT's, or doggies hang it in the pool room.

quality gear, not top shelf will last a week IMHO.

wheelerdog
11-06-2008, 11:21 PM
Thanks all who have posted,

I am not actually going on Nomad the name of the mothership is Centurion i believe. Anyway i went around to a few tackle store the other day and was advised strongly to go with the new daiwa range. One that got my interest is the sealine bull 6000 as it is quite well priced and seems to have a quick enough retrieve and is advertised as having 15kg of drag.

As for rods haven't found one i really like. The guys in the shops keep trying to convince me to go for a two piece rod as they reckon they are just as strong these days but i'm not convinced. Your thoughts?

i have not used a nitro as described by others, but for less than 250 bucks a live fibre will put some serious hurt on any beast, they are pound for pound and $ for $ a good weapon.

but remenber being a yobo beer swilling average joe will not cut it if you intend fishing seriously in the coral sea for a week or so, a couple of big GT's can put a world of hurt on an unfit person, then the biguns in the afternoon cannot be appreciated;D

fishing@airlie
12-06-2008, 10:33 AM
Thanks Guys,

Definately a lot of options thanks for opening my eyes to some good well priced gear. I will let you know when i make a decision. As for the fitness i reckon i should be alright as i'm running a bit and hitting the gym a few times a week.

cheers
Scotty