PDA

View Full Version : Knotable Wire?

rando
10-06-2008, 01:07 PM
I have just bought some knotable wire 80lb.
I have tried a different brand before, and was not happy with it, very difficult to get the knots to bind.
Ive just bought some French stuff , to give it another try as this seems more supple.
When I use wire I prefer the nylon coated type and I noted this new spool has no coating.
I was thinking I might tie some traces then lightly coat them with surfboard wax to disguise the metal a bit.

Do you think surfboard wax might act as a fish deterrent, that is , does it have a strong scent.??? is it petroleum based???.

I thought I might also dissolve some tuna oil in the wax to mask it a bit.
I am using it for single hook tailor rigs.

I'm Interested in hearing any opinions

rando

the gecko
11-06-2008, 06:15 AM
Hi Rando,
I like the american Bleeder Wire in 40lbs. Its the only wire coated in a red color. I work on the theory that red is the first color of the spectrum to disappear/diffuse under water. The guy at the tackle shop showed me a simple easy knot that will hold well. Neither of us could pull it apart with our whole bodywieght.

Its also fairly supple. A knot eel was able to put 5 knots in it in 5 mins.....took me 15 mins to undo the mess, but I was able.

I dont know why you are experimenting with wax, I think wax could put fish off. 80lbs sounds heavy for Tailor?

Id have another look at your brand of wire and your knots? Let me know if you want me to draw the knot and upload it. I hope that helps.

cheers
Andrew

rando
12-06-2008, 11:08 AM
Andrew
I use a uni-knot on wire and on my previous attempts with a different brand I could not get a satisfactory result, so I went back to crimps.

The question about wax is because Ive heard plenty of reports of wire putting fish off, whether they can see it or sense it I'm not sure, I suspect both.
But given that nylon coated wire seems to be more widely preferred by fishermen I reasoned that disguising the metal might be a good idea.

This french brand is pretty thin , I know 80lb is pretty heavy, but Im on a quest this july to catch a really big tailor.8-)

I would certainly like to see the knot diagram , and thanks for your help.
Cheers
rando

the gecko
12-06-2008, 04:28 PM
Ok, heres my first go at a knot diagram.
I hope it is readable. If its too small, just pm me your email, and i will send the large version.

This knot is very simple and strong. I dont know what its called. I use it when toothy critters like sharks are interfering with my jack or jew fishing. What I thought was a shark biting me off, turned out to be a big jack.;D The main knot will hold my 90kg bodywieght when I hook it into a steel anchor point thats concreted into a floor, so its good. The hook will bend before the knot fails. The tag wrap is just cosmetic. I use the same knot to connect to a black swivel at the other end.

All my Tailor have been caught on 20-40lb mono leader and braid main. Got a few 60-70cm models outside the seaway mouth by floatlining a pilly on a 3 ganged hook. Got a few on HBs, but not much on slugs. Dunno about red or black wire for Tailor- I'll leave that to the experts. I dont think uni knots work with wire?

How big are you hunting for? You can have mine, I gave em away at the ramp.:-[
I find em very bland.

Andrew

rando
12-06-2008, 08:14 PM
How Big?,,,, as big as they get!!!!;D
I use single hook rigs with a short wire leader,with a slab of mullet on it.

Got two weeks at Iluka at the end of the month,and Ive teed up with Tye Porter to have a fishing session or two.;)