PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Rollers Marking Boat BEFORE & AFTER

tenzing
09-06-2008, 03:49 PM
The grey ribbed rollers on my 18 month old trailer have a tough black stain on them which transfers itself to the white hull on loading the boat.
The resulting marks can be rubbed off if you use plenty of elbow grease whenyou wash the boat, but get considerably tougher the longer they are left.

Can somebody suggest how to get the rollers clean? (in which case the question of how to clean the boat is not necessary)

I priced new ones ----$13 each X 28 rollers!

Thanks in advance
Brendan

Dignity
09-06-2008, 04:39 PM
tensing,

I was looking to slowly replacing my rollers over a period of time so as not to feel the pain so I am at logger heads now with your post, some pics might help to solve your problem. I was also looking to replace the rollers on the lead frame with tapered rollers I have seen but cant find a surce for them, anyone ?????

tenzing
09-06-2008, 06:20 PM
Pics as requested

Angla
09-06-2008, 10:26 PM
I get the same thing on my rig, I was thinking of using a white spirit to clean all the rollers one time after launching the boat in a quiet location. Just havent got around to it yet.

If you find what works could you pass on the info.

Chris

tenzing
09-06-2008, 10:45 PM
I get the same thing on my rig, I was thinking of using a white spirit to clean all the rollers one time after launching the boat in a quiet location. Just havent got around to it yet.

If you find what works could you pass on the info.

Chris
Chris I was thinking something similar.
You could do 2/3 of each roller with the boat on. Don't want to go through that too often though. Boats and rollers have been around a long time , someone must have a better answer.
Brendan

Angla
09-06-2008, 10:58 PM
Brendan, I did find it a little relaxing, laying under the trailer with the boat on, cleaning the under side of all the little marks as well as repairing the chips and scratches. I also rolled the boat back off the trailer a little to get all the spots. Only took 2 days. I will do the rollers when the boat is in the water!

I reckon someone here will know an easy way too.

Chris

Roughasguts
10-06-2008, 06:29 AM
Spray WD 40 on the black marks then use a plastic scourer to let some of the solvents in, then wipe the black marks off. It's east with WD-40 infact it's the only thing Wd is good for except removing crayons from your childrens walls with out damage.

ozscott
10-06-2008, 07:40 AM
white rollers? I have light blue that arent too bad, but still leave some marks. I put up with them, but then again mine is not as new as yours Tenzing and if I had your gelcoat I reckon I would be troubled too.

Cheers

Goldfinch
10-06-2008, 06:31 PM
I had the same problem with a couple of rollers. I used jif on both the roller and gelcoat as I do for most stains. Seemed to work on mine. A boat detailer put me onto it last year. Great for blood and bait staines as well.

Blackened
10-06-2008, 06:35 PM
I used jif on both the roller and gelcoat as I do for most stains. Great for blood and bait staines as well.

G'day

Jif only works as it does because of the cutting compounds in it, a good cut and polish will work better, with the bonus of giving the area added protection

Dave

tenzing
10-06-2008, 07:24 PM
Brendan, I did find it a little relaxing, laying under the trailer with the boat on, cleaning the under side of all the little marks as well as repairing the chips and scratches. I also rolled the boat back off the trailer a little to get all the spots. Only took 2 days. I will do the rollers when the boat is in the water!

I reckon someone here will know an easy way too.

Chris
Sorry about that Chris, saves me a weekend on my back though. (i was trying to think of something funny next- nothing came to mind )
Brendan

tenzing
10-06-2008, 08:08 PM
The rollers and the boat were both clean not long ago. Where does the black come from. Is cleaning it off a futile exercise??

Roughasguts
11-06-2008, 12:32 PM
The rollers and the boat were both clean not long ago. Where does the black come from. Is cleaning it off a futile exercise??

Nah mate cleaning it off with WD-40 isn't a waste of time. I have only down the trick once so far hasn't needed a touch up yet, And that's on a 13 year old tub so give it a try it's easy work and won't take long to do.

tenzing
11-06-2008, 03:59 PM
Nah mate cleaning it off with WD-40 isn't a waste of time. I have only down the trick once so far hasn't needed a touch up yet, And that's on a 13 year old tub so give it a try it's easy work and won't take long to do.
thanks mate. got to love that avatar!
Brendan

tenzing
14-06-2008, 03:37 PM
Spray WD 40 on the black marks then use a plastic scourer to let some of the solvents in, then wipe the black marks off. It's east with WD-40 infact it's the only thing Wd is good for except removing crayons from your childrens walls with out damage.

Thank you , Thank you ,Thank you...

This works so well!!

In the words of the late Kev ."I'M EXCITED"

Tried lanolin spray, that works too.

WD40 on a cloth gets the mark straight off the boat too.

COOL

Roughasguts
14-06-2008, 11:19 PM
Thank you , Thank you ,Thank you...

This works so well!!

In the words of the late Kev ."I'M EXCITED"

Tried lanolin spray, that works too.

WD40 on a cloth gets the mark straight off the boat too.

COOL

Glad to help tenzing, actually happy someone tried one of me tips, and I got some feed back.

tenzing
15-06-2008, 05:35 PM
I am sure that this is a boring thread for eveyone else, But I just finshed the cleaning job and would love to share the results and technique.

Leave the boat where it is on the trailer , most of the outer rollers can be cleaned from outside the boat.
Spray WD40 on half of the visible part of the roller and rub marks off with a car cleaning sponge, It seems to get into the grooves and provides enough friction to get the job done.

Spray the top part of the clean side of the roller(wd 40 seems to be the easiest thing of the three I tried to clean up the overspray later) Then grab the roller with an old towel and pull it so the clean wet side rolls under the boat. It takes a little oomph to get some of the rollers to turn but once the wet side contacts the glass she slides real easy like.

Continue to turn and spray and rub till its clean, then if possible slide a thin rag under the roller and pull it towards you under the roller to finish the job against the glass.You'll only get it through if its pulled under , pushing is way too hard.

Finally clean any tough marks off the boat with lanolin and a toothbrush and buff to a shine while it is still wet.

It took me about one and a half hours in total, Getting much faster as I figured out how to do it.

Here are the pics before and after. It certainly works a treat and I am grateful for the tips to get me started.

Brendan

Angla
15-06-2008, 08:17 PM
Brendan, They look like new now. Thanks for sharing this tip

Chris

tenzing
02-11-2008, 08:24 AM
Started getting marks on the boat again. Looks like this is a twice yearly job!
Brendan

Vitamin Sea
02-11-2008, 08:45 AM
Thanks Roughasguts and Tenzing

I have the same problem, underside of the Haines is filthy, will give it a go.

Cheers

Bill

GBC
02-11-2008, 10:11 AM
I use prepwash (wax and grease remover) - our's are the same rollers.

Dignity
04-11-2008, 06:51 PM
Started getting marks on the boat again. Looks like this is a twice yearly job!
Brendan

Maybe the hull needs a good polish otherwise it will continue to pick up crap off the rollers

tenzing
04-11-2008, 06:58 PM
Maybe the hull needs a good polish otherwise it will continue to pick up crap off the rollers
Good suggestion, but hull is shiny as( see reflection in after photos). crap gets on the rollers during the normal use of boat. really easy to get off boat with wd40 or inox or lano spray, but just gets on again next use. Boat is in water most weekends so six month clean may be a little more frequent than most would need.
Cheers, Brendan

Shayne_Blue
04-11-2008, 07:26 PM
A friend of mine used to use Aeroguard to clean the kids playground equipment in the council parks and McDonalds. I have used it on motor bike plastics and works well. It might be worth a go also.

Shayne

MyWay
04-11-2008, 07:33 PM
very interesting post
it must be reason why are roles getting dirty . could cam from brakes if you towing far or could cam from exhaust of the car

myway

tenzing
04-11-2008, 07:43 PM
very interesting post
it must be reason why are roles getting dirty . could cam from brakes if you towing far or could cam from exhaust of the car

myway
Good thinkin 99 . I think that the dirtiest rollers are near or behind the wheels, although front ones suffer too. Brake discs might be the culprit, but cant see that I could do much about that.
Brendan

Does anyone have these rollers on an unbraked trailer??

GBC
04-11-2008, 08:54 PM
I think you'll find that it is from floating scum from the water when you launch and retrieve - hence mainly rear rollers being worse.

tenzing
04-11-2008, 08:59 PM
I think you'll find that it is from floating scum from the water when you launch and retrieve - hence mainly rear rollers being worse.

Dont you just hate floating scum!
Looks like I'm still stuck with the cleaning.
Brendan

death_ship
08-11-2008, 08:09 AM
i think its common to those grey rollers, i have only really seen it with them, havent had it with the red or blue rollers.

tenzing
08-11-2008, 10:37 AM
i think its common to those grey rollers, i have only really seen it with them, havent had it with the red or blue rollers.
I might try just replacing a few of the rollers that dont pick up the line of the others and see how that goes, Cheers

Dean1
08-11-2008, 11:22 AM
Switch to teflon rollers there not as porous as those grey ones. Will fix the problem. The boat will slide better on the teflon one's too. Red is good and blue 1's are better again. Deano.

tenzing
08-11-2008, 07:02 PM
Switch to teflon rollers there not as porous as those grey ones. Wlill fix the problem. The boat will slide better on the teflon one's too. Red is good and blue 1's are better again. Deano.
Thanks mate., I went out and checked the prices today, and all three colours are the same price. so why do all the new boats come on trailers with these grey buggers as standard??
I'm thinkin that a trailer full of blue rollers may be coming up'
thanks again
Brendan