PDA

View Full Version : Swanbank Lake

Bream_Reaper
08-06-2008, 11:33 PM
This is similar to a previous thread but the info given was sketchy. Anyway I have been driving past the small lake beside swanbank power station for a while and I have noticed alot of bird life that feed on fish on top of the water (Pelicans, eagles) got me wondering if there's some catchable life forms living under the water as well, and if its worth fishing for them. Would be great if I got some info from someone who has fished there before if it is even possible.:huh2:
Going to bed now will check for replies later on tommorow.

tunaticer
09-06-2008, 07:10 AM
I think you will probably find more fisherpeople there instead of pelicans now it is broadcast. Sometimes it doesn't pay to ask and simply go look for yourself.

I know the lake you are referring to but have never fished or heard of anyone fishing it.

Jack.

darylive
09-06-2008, 12:31 PM
All recreational use of the lake was always banned. Having consideration for its size, accessibility and usage (solely for the power cooling towers) I would be surprised if that has changed.

Fitzy
11-06-2008, 01:18 AM
We've had a fish management plan written for several years for Swanbank Lake. DPI&F don't seem to have a problem with it, however CS Energy, while initially sounded quite keen for a fish restocking program to proceed, they are yet to sign on the dotted line.

Ipswich City Council are very keen to see this lake used as a recreational fishery, as are we (Somerset & Wivenhoe Fish Stocking Assn).

We will continue to follow up & will advise of any success via the normal channels.

For the record - The old Swanbank Power Station Board stocked yellowbelly & silver perch in there years ago. All would have died out by now. Only thing in there now is eels & spanglies.

You can fish there, but not in the parkland or on the powerstation side of the lake, particularly in & around the workers carpark. This was one of the concerns of CS energy. If you want to we a line there, go around near the train station.

If you want to see fish stocked into Swanbank lake you can help by calling your local member or CS Energy to show your support. You can also join S&WFSA who operate the Don MacPherson Memorial Fish Hatchery at Yamanto. Meeting are 3rd Wednesday of each month at Fernvale Futures Complex, after 7pm.

Cheers,

Fitzy..

darylive
11-06-2008, 07:53 PM
Good luck with that Fitzy.