PDA

View Full Version : 12 Mile off Caloundra Friday

Scotth
08-06-2008, 10:44 PM
What a great morning it was.

Grabbed the three girls (13,13 and 10) out of school for the morning and went for our first offshore trip. Booked the Fish'n'crab from Mooloolaba to try our hand at catching a few good ones.

Also took the 87yr old grandfather, lil Brother and his 12 year old boy plus an uncle. Headed out at 6am. Weather was perfect, hardly a wave and with a glorious sunrise away we went with excitement and anticipation.

We chose the fish n crab guys based on a referral from a previous thread. I have to say the two guys that took us out were absolute gentlemen and tried very hard to make our day a perfect one. I couldn't recommend them enough.

After about 30 minutes we dropped a string of pots and then headed out to the 5 mile off caloundra. The old 87 year old first drop got a double hookup and I thought "hold the phone!"this is going to be spectacular. Then the young nephew got a really good sized snapper. Dad jagged a maori cod. All in around 40m of water.

Then all went quiet. However after a couple of changes of spots we ended up with around 12 keepers for the day which went on the BBQ and were cooked to perfection by the uncle last night!

All in all, probably the sweetlip caught by one of the 13yr old's was the best plus a nice pearl perch. However, on the main I was a bit disappointed with the fishing especially as my other two girls, bro and I caught a big duck egg!

I don't think it was the skippers fault more like they just werent on the fang at all.
Luckily on the way back we picked up the pots and ended up with a great feed of spanner crab which were cooked by the time we reached Mooloolaba.

In any case, the morning was perfect, the Fish n Crab team brilliant and the company was perfect!

Angla
09-06-2008, 01:31 AM
They certainly entertain you through the whole trip. Did you have fun pulling the spanners from the dillies.

It may have been my thread you read. Good to hear you enjoyed the day even with the dissapointment of the duck eggs. Fishing is a hit or miss affair.

Chris

Jeremy
09-06-2008, 09:39 AM
I have fished the Cal 5 Mile area a fait bit over the years. Water depth is 23m, not 40m. Might have been out on the 12 mile? I am guessing the charter boats need to cater to lots of lines in the water, hence the paternosters, but all my best fish have come on floaters with little or no weight.

At least it was a nice day and you got a feed. Any photos?

Jeremy

skipalong
09-06-2008, 04:57 PM
sounds like a good day mate

Scotth
10-06-2008, 04:26 PM
It may have been 12 mile then. I didnt want to exaggerate if it wasn't. The crabs were excellent, the fish were excellent and I have just asked Bro to email the photos so I will upload them!

Sidewayz
10-06-2008, 05:51 PM
Sounds like a good feed...

Scotth
10-06-2008, 11:28 PM
Thanks Angla - It was exactly your thread. The Skipper for the day was Rob Van Veenendaal. He is also a Master Class V.Med 3. RYA & AYF Yachtmaster and Marine Surveyor Assn #173. He was explaining to me that he does Vessel Pre Purchase Inspections and Valuations. Purchase Advice & Representation. Cool Guy and knows his stuff. Highly Recommend!