PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Hand boat inspections (pre purchase) NEED HELP !!

barrabart
08-06-2008, 09:19 PM
G'day all,

I am in the market for a new boat and have started looking about, I have a Mrs and 3 kids, started out looking at big tinnies and cntr consoles, but now am thinking more along the lines of a f'glass half cab or cuddy, as they offer more comfort for the Mrs and kids. Having never owned a boat of this style however i am concerned about buying a lemon, is there a sure fire way of getting a reliable inspection done on a fibreglass boat for things like rotten stringers, bad floors, transoms etc? I have a budget of around $15,000 - $17,500 so i expect to get something reasonably good around the 5 mtr mark. Also if anyone has any suggestions on models to keep an eye out for or models to stay away from i would greatly appreciate your advice.

Thanks

Bart.

BM
08-06-2008, 10:27 PM
I could help you if you were in Melb but I don't know anyone who could assist up your way.

Try a local marine mechanic, but make sure he understands trailers and hulls and perhaps not so obviously, engines of ALL brands.....

You should easily find something in your budget but careful selection will be required. I wish I could help more, but I can't. Although, I will be transiting through Brisbane very soon on my way to the Solomons for a big repair job and will be back through Bris a few days later in these early stages of the job.

Cheers

Grand_Marlin
09-06-2008, 07:42 AM
G'day Bart,

Give Bill's Marine a call - they are one of the best in the area.

(07) 4051 6733

BM (above) prints a fine book on boat inspections - definitely get yourself a copy as it will put you a long way in front when it comes to inspections.

For your area (and I assume you are going to the reef) I would aim at a boat slightly bigger - 18 - 19ft... depending on what you have to tow it with.
The run across the "paddock" is about 15+ miles and can get quite choppy.
The extra 2 - 3 ft in your boat will give a lot better peace of mind for all if it gets rough.

If you are looking to stay in the inlet etc ... 5m is fine.

The Cruisecraft and Seafarer boats would be good for your boating.
There was a Savage Mako (18ft) with a sterndrive for sale on Boatpoint as well for around $16K.

Good Luck

Pete