PDA

View Full Version : Good, Bad?

James Simpo
08-06-2008, 12:42 PM
Just read another thread about an unfortunent gentleman being fined by the fisheries dept. Thought might share this bit of useless information.
Recently my job took me to a breakdown on a freezer at DPI&F, I must admit i have never been a fan of there work, but what i saw in the there changed my opinion of there work(not the people).140 Barra,120 Lizard and whole tub of the smallest coral trout i have ever seen just to name a few, the place was packed. I sure have a different outlook to what there about, Ill make sure im brushed up on all rules and regs in case i bump in to a officer having a bad day!

disorderly
08-06-2008, 12:54 PM
What do they do with any seized seafood?
Where was this? and did they say over what time period these fish were accrued?
Finally, did they say if they were from rec or Pro fisho's?

Scott

James Simpo
08-06-2008, 01:07 PM
They dump them, Happy nackers, dont known who what when or where.

slyman
08-06-2008, 05:33 PM
Any seized illegal fish are held in cold storage until the period for appeal has passed, the length of the appeal period I'm not too sure about though.

stevedemon
09-06-2008, 10:50 AM
Hi Guy's
unfortunately these guy's are like the police we need them and again they are never around when you really need them. but it is like any thing it is a dirty job and somebody has to do it. these guy's keep most of us honest with are catches and we can only hope that they catch the morons that break the rules to me some times we need more action to keep the buggers on there toes and taking the little ones or to many over the bag limit. I say good on them for a job that would be hard to do some times and other times with a smile they caught the buggers reaping our waters.

my thoughts only guy's if it's to small return to water and if it is over the size limit(e.g Lizards) again return to water safely take a picture last longer i only keep what we can eat in 2 meals

Cheers
Steve

Dignity
09-06-2008, 03:26 PM
Hi Guy's
unfortunately these guy's are like the police we need them and again they are never around when you really need them. but it is like any thing it is a dirty job and somebody has to do it. these guy's keep most of us honest with are catches and we can only hope that they catch the morons that break the rules to me some times we need more action to keep the buggers on there toes and taking the little ones or to many over the bag limit. I say good on them for a job that would be hard to do some times and other times with a smile they caught the buggers reaping our waters.

my thoughts only guy's if it's to small return to water and if it is over the size limit(e.g Lizards) again return to water safely take a picture last longer i only keep what we can eat in 2 meals

Cheers
Steve

I keep thinking back a couple of years whena few of them disappeared doing their jobs chasing illegal mud crabbers. Ocassionally tou get the wqrong personallity in this job but in the main they are under staffed and rarely supported by the general public.