PDA

View Full Version : Cheech’s Charters: A North Moreton Experience on Bubi!

TimiBoy
08-06-2008, 09:03 AM
Wags on the Water and I hit the Raby Bay ramp at 7.30 am D-Day, 6 June. Calm, bright looking day, looking forward to mucking about with the HB Side Imager in the bay, and letting our backs/bellies recover from being beaten up on Wednesday in 4m+ swells.

As the Merc idled at the pontoon, the temperature alarm went off! As we were about to pull the boat, another CC685 was being towed in. 250 HP engine (brand not to be mentioned) - seized. Took the boat (Bubi’s the name) to Wondall Rd Merc, dropped her off and went to Tackle Warehouse for a while. An hour later got the call, “Come get your boat, water pump’s been replaced, you been mining shale with that thing?”

Note to self – trim up MUCH more when driving on….

Back on the water at 11:30 ish, it’s Cheech on the phone. A brief negotiation between Wags and Cheech - as I stared at the temp gauge with my fingers crossed - had us heading to Cabbage Tree to pick up that Doyen of Fishing, Cheech. He hops on the boat, and, true to his name, produces an illicit substance (cans of Rum with Ginger & Lime)… Not for Wags, he’s already on drugs, and nothing for me, the Oh So Responsible Skipper, so Cheech tucks in.

Straight to Curtin (well, almost straight. I can’t drive in a straight line, you’d have thought Cheech was at the wheel) and started picking out wrecks on the bottom with the SI. It’s about 2 pm. We could see deck hatches, concrete pipes, the works. Pics didn’t work out, but the SI is awesome. Utterly, totally, completely awesome. Two drifts, 25 bucks worth of lead gone. Ripper of a current, but it was so calm, it might be better outside.

Cheech dropped a few numbers into the GPS near the Cape, and put us on the fish. His paternoster went over the side, and soon dragged up a 42cm Red, which of course went straight back in. It was followed over a couple of drifts by a couple of snaps 1.5 and near 4 kg on dead floated yakkas, kept from Wednesday’s mountaineering expedition. Next spot saw the same sort of action, 1 fish per drift, and we had snaps in the boat going 67, 65, 62, 52 (MY PB!!!!), and 42 cm’s. Wags hooked that elusive Russian Sub again (Red October never sank, I swear) and Cheech dragged (after a mighty struggle) a pathetic little bream... Getting dark, and quiet, we toddled off to another spot, and a 45 cm snap came on board on my rig, putting a smile about 10 feet wide on my big gob, Cheech pulled an undersized Spangled, but then all went quiet.

Wags landed the three big fish, and I accounted for the other 3. Poor old Cheech was too busy putting us on the fish to be catching anything. (that's his story, anyway!!!);D;D;D

6.30, pulled the pin. It’s a long drive from Cape Moreton to Cabbage Tree then Raby Bay in the dark, and this little black duck wanted jarmies and warm beddie-bies. Dropped Cheech off with a nice snap in the bag, and an uneventful trip home. Wonderful day, some good fish. Back at Raby Bay at 9.00 pm, in bed at 10. Slept like a baby!

More pics may follow if Wags gets his butt into gear...

Fin.

lethal098
08-06-2008, 09:18 AM
sounds like a good day after the overheating, lucky you had someone to look after you that quick, day looks perfect and looks like you got a good feed, well done. lethal

nigelr
08-06-2008, 09:46 AM
Great storey and pics Timi, thanks for that, enjoyed immensely!
Cheers.

Angla
08-06-2008, 10:38 AM
Sounds like a good trip. would like to see some pics from the finder.

That has to be the fastest service ever. Did it come at a premium price? Oh Hell. Money doesn't matter when you get on the water.;D

I find it impossible not to just open the throttle all the way when the conditions are like that

Chris

wags on the water
08-06-2008, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the report Tim. You certainly have a way with words, although your fishing technique still needs improvement.;)

Cheech - pleasure to meet you and thanks for puting us on the fish. It took a lot of control not to reach for the green can you offered. Although I enjoyed the aroma from the open can of yours. Mmmmm dry and lime mmmmmmmm...... I can taste it now....:P

Great day with great company.

Wags

28414 28415

Outsider1
08-06-2008, 10:43 AM
Sounder like you have a very good dealer there Timiboy.

Great report, enjoyed it immensely.

Cheers

Dave

wags on the water
08-06-2008, 10:44 AM
You might have to lose the popped collar Tim....::) ::) ::) I think it was scaring the fish....;D ;D ;D

Chris - The pics from the Side Imager at Curtin just didn't work out. Too much glare on the screen although there is a great reflection of me taking the pics. If I had the money.....nah..... I'd just go out with Tim again.

Wags

TimiBoy
08-06-2008, 11:13 AM
No way man, the collar makes me look sophistomicated. 8-)

And it protects my neck from the sun.

And it annoys you, Wags.;D;D;D

backlash08
08-06-2008, 12:43 PM
Thanks Tim, sounds like an interesting day - cheers - Craig

Timfishin4fun
08-06-2008, 02:54 PM
Well done guys.

Can't wait to see some picks of the si.

Tim

SummerTrance
08-06-2008, 03:59 PM
Sound like a fun day boys, and some nice snaps to boot. Always enjoy reading reports where cheech is involved, he sounds like a real character!

Cheech
08-06-2008, 09:19 PM
Technically I did out fish everyone :) variety as well. Shame all my lot were the wrong size though :( .

With a day like that, and the forecast for the weekend, There was only one place to be. And that was on the water. Took me a few secs to absorb the concept of a southern bay launch hooking by a northern ramp just to pick me up. Usually it takes me half an hour to think about getting ready, but this time half an hour from the call I was packed and at the ramp just as the boys arrived. PC with mibile broadband in hand, I was still at work. Just don't tell the boss.

What pursued was a low stress, high enjoyment , thoroughly entertaining, and totally pleasurable afternoon of fishing. I would also say that the company was terriffic, but I don't want to get too carried away....... ok I admit it, the company was terrific.

Wags was slaying them on his side of the boat. I just wish we could have seen that big mother than smoked you. I wish I could have seen the 2 bigger varieties I dropped! Tim did a great job with fish too. Next trip will be the big ones for everyone.

Nice boat too. Though I will need to get you guys out on the Swiftcraft for a trip or 2 before you get too soft!

Till next time...

Cheech

Fishin_Dan
08-06-2008, 10:42 PM
Good to see your still putting people onto the fish Cheech!

Well done guys. Certianly some nice fish there!

skipalong
09-06-2008, 06:54 PM
beautiful conditions

rubba
09-06-2008, 07:19 PM
well done guys looks like a good day