PDA

View Full Version : Plate boat options?

Volcano
07-06-2008, 09:07 PM
Howdy all,
Managed to get a quick sale for a good price on the signature recently so now the task of finding its replacement has begun.

My budget is around 60-65k.
Ideally I'd like a plate boat no smaller than 6.4 metres, 2.5 beam and very stable at rest. I'd prefer a separate sounder and chartplotter but thats not essential. Would prefer a 4 stroke motor but am open to suggestions.

I know you can get an OzCraft for 65k brand new but the finish of these boats just doesn't quite seem as nice.

Is it possible? I have plans to go and speak to Col but am afraid of wasting his time and looking like a goose for trying to get one of his amazing boats in a semi-finished status.

Kinda at sixes and sevens here hahahaha.
I am open to second hand models but they are like hens teeth and are usually nearly as expensive as the new boats.

Blackened
07-06-2008, 09:22 PM
G'day

Go have a chat with Col at fisher, he can only say no??

We know Dave at Riptide build to any stage really, so he may be worth a consideration?

Dave

Stuart
07-06-2008, 10:59 PM
My first pick would be Blue water alloy boats followed by fisher.

Stu

Skusto
08-06-2008, 09:24 AM
for that size boat for that price range u mite not be able to get a 6.4 brand new. barcrusher have a 640 thats starts at 71k with a 150 4 stroke yam. we have the 560 and couldnt be happyier with it have had it out in 15- 20knots 2 -3 metre swells off moreton and it handled exceptionally well.

DAVE_S
08-06-2008, 11:59 AM
Dave
sorry but its col at FISHER BOATS

Blackened
08-06-2008, 02:31 PM
Dave
sorry but its col at FISHER BOATS

G'day

I know that, thanks for pulling me up on it, my mind was somewhere else

Dave

Captain Seaweed
08-06-2008, 03:24 PM
I am in the same boat mate. What about razerline?

Coontakinta
08-06-2008, 03:39 PM
Capt Seaweed, my bet as an owner of a Razerline is after riding in a Seafarer, You'd be dissappointed

dfox
08-06-2008, 04:13 PM
If your prepared to do plenty of the work yourself i cant see the problem, an unpainted plate hull in that size is less then 30 grand, the motor around 20 and a trailer 8-9, 3 grand in electronics a few more grand in wiring and extra's, together with a bit of shopping around youll save on those figures. If you do your home work youll end up with a boat the way you want it, ive done a few this way and saved a fortune, it also means things are done correctly because "i" tightened every bolt and screw, ran every wire, soldered every join etc. When or if something does go wrong its easier to solve and fix. Onlt thing is to have the engine fitted by a dealer.
Its worth thinking about ...foxy

lampuki
08-06-2008, 04:18 PM
Coontakinta, your honesty should be praised.....so many times i read threads where its a mine is better than yours scenario, you have given (what i assume to be) honest feedback for the purpose of giving fellow members the best possible advice.....Never been in a razer.......but i have been in a fair few plates......owned one, and I am now going back to glass......and for the money you are spending you could get a 6.5 mtr glass brand new.

Coontakinta
08-06-2008, 05:07 PM
Coontakinta, your honesty should be praised.....so many times i read threads where its a mine is better than yours scenario, you have given (what i assume to be) honest feedback for the purpose of giving fellow members the best possible advice.....Never been in a razer.......but i have been in a fair few plates......owned one, and I am now going back to glass......and for the money you are spending you could get a 6.5 mtr glass brand new.

Mahi Mahi (lampuki);) , I've had my Razerline for almost 3 years now. I've had a few people say I'm too harsh in my critism of the hull, but I've riden in a 5.9m Seafarer in a 1-1.5m sea and the ride was much better than i could ever expect out of my hull. Even a Nthbnk 490C rides better in the same sea.

I doubt I would ever buy another plate and will look at glass next time. I've even thought about selling the razerline and buying something second hand, but in todays ecconomic climate is just not feasible

peterbo3
08-06-2008, 10:08 PM
Volcano,
I have a Fisher 6400 full cab with a 175. Col was happy to sell it unpainted, which is how it will stay. I did the electrical & electronics fitout myself. Col fitted the donk, hyd steering, QL tabs & the bilge pump.
Tell him what you can afford & take it from there. Riptide, AMM & other builders are also worth checking out but there are very few top level plate boats appearing on the used market.

Mindi
08-06-2008, 10:32 PM
You could check out Peter at Profish Caloundra but then you might delay mine by three months..!

pilchardjones
10-06-2008, 12:48 PM
i love the goldstar
mine is 6m x 2.5m
and very reasonably priced.

www.goldstarboats.com.au (http://www.goldstarboats.com.au)

wal, the builder, is an absolute pleasure to deal with, and produces top quality work, with naval architect (dave jackman - same as razerline) designed plans.

steve

Wahoo
10-06-2008, 01:47 PM
top 3 alloy boat builders for my liking are

Bluewater alloy boats
Platemaster alloy boats
AMM alloy boats

SgBFish
10-06-2008, 03:10 PM
top 3 alloy boat builders for my liking are

Bluewater alloy boats
Platemaster alloy boats
AMM alloy boats

Wahoo.
There might be one or two blokes on this site who would add the Riptide to the list after seeing Reefmasters’ new boat.

Wahoo
10-06-2008, 04:05 PM
Wahoo.
There might be one or two blokes on this site who would add the Riptide to the list after seeing Reefmasters’ new boat.

you maybe right, but i have never been in a riptide, to say anything about them

scrubba01
10-06-2008, 04:29 PM
I have a 6.8 Fisher bought it second hand with a 225 2 stroke with 400 hours on it for $49k. Just had Col repower it with a 225 Suzi and install some QL trim tabs have also put new GPS, deck wash and a few other items I would Imagine it owes me about $65k. Spacing the investments out over time makes it hurt a little less.

It has a very good ride for a plate boat but is a bit bumper than a glass boat of the same size. Check out John Crawford Marine they have a fisher for sale with a new 250 Suzi for $55k.

Alchemy
10-06-2008, 10:05 PM
I have a 6.8 Fisher bought it second hand with a 225 2 stroke with 400 hours on it for $49k. Just had Col repower it with a 225 Suzi and install some QL trim tabs have also put new GPS, deck wash and a few other items I would Imagine it owes me about $65k. Spacing the investments out over time makes it hurt a little less.

It has a very good ride for a plate boat but is a bit bumper than a glass boat of the same size. Check out John Crawford Marine they have a fisher for sale with a new 250 Suzi for $55k.

Scrubba, do you have any pics of your boat, plus what year build was the hull? Just a curious question from another Fisher owner.

Also, anyone looking at the Fisher at Crawfords need to be prepared to spend some cash on a break-away breaking system for the trailer as it is advertised with only mechanical over-ride breaks. Would also be curious to know if the hull is actually a 2004 year build?

Regards,
Dave.

scrubba01
11-06-2008, 11:51 AM
Scrubba, do you have any pics of your boat, plus what year build was the hull? Just a curious question from another Fisher owner.

Also, anyone looking at the Fisher at Crawfords need to be prepared to spend some cash on a break-away breaking system for the trailer as it is advertised with only mechanical over-ride breaks. Would also be curious to know if the hull is actually a 2004 year build?

Regards,
Dave.

Hi Dave
I do have some picture I just haven't had time to figure out how to resize them yet, but I will soon. Mine is a 2000 6.8 centre cab hull "Awesome1". It is not a Maxi hull design but rather has about an 18 degree dead rise but a very fine bow entry. I think it rides about the same as a maxi especially now we have the trim tabs put on. I have seen yours about before a very nice looking boat.

I believe the one at crawfords is a 2001 hull. I haven't been to see it myself but was talking to a friend the other day apperently the owner finnished off alot of it himself and hasn't got the same finnish as Col's boats have. But still all the performance is in the hull and a brand new Suzi. If I didn't already have a Fisher I would be looking very seriously at that one.

Would be great to catch up one day, if I see you about I will stop and say G'day.
Cheers, Warren

Alchemy
11-06-2008, 01:39 PM
Thanks Warren. I used to live at Forest Lake, but am now in Townsville, so it might be a while before you bump into me! Can't say I miss Brisbane either. Thanks for the info on the boats. I am half thinking of an upgrade myself and am curious to see what others have paid for second hand Fishers (plus other plate boats) as I really have no idea what I'd get for Alchemy if I got serious.

Regards,
Dave.

Seahorse
11-06-2008, 05:43 PM
i was at platemaster boats today.
he has 7 metre plate cubby cab in there ready for prime and paint. what a machine. anyone looking for a plate boat would have to go and see them. do urself a favour.
they are at brendale

reel therapy
12-06-2008, 05:02 PM
I have a 6 mtr Joshua Centre Cabin fitted with 150 Suzuki 4 stroke. Cost a bit more than 60k but has all the tricks. Great offshore boat and handles bay chop fantastic. Always feel safe even in 3mtr swell. Give Mal or Paulene a call and have a chat.

Big G
14-06-2008, 07:17 AM
try Jason at Offshore Marine Master...Caloundra.
Great boats....real custom plate builder who works well with customers needs.
www.offshoremarinemaster.com.au

stevea
14-06-2008, 08:15 AM
try Jason at Offshore Marine Master...Caloundra.
Great boats....real custom plate builder who works well with customers needs.
www.offshoremarinemaster.com.au (http://www.offshoremarinemaster.com.au)

They are very nice boats, Grahame, are you Jasons' Dad?

lippa
14-06-2008, 08:53 AM
i was at platemaster boats today.
he has 7 metre plate cubby cab in there ready for prime and paint. what a machine. anyone looking for a plate boat would have to go and see them. do urself a favour.
they are at brendale

did platemaster move from marybourough?

http://platemaster.com.au/

Seahorse
14-06-2008, 09:08 AM
dont think so lippa.
just looked at site u put up and different names.
bloke at brendale is sam

barrabart
14-06-2008, 09:11 AM
Just read an article in a fishing mag on Barcrusher boats, they had nothing bad to say about it. So thats what i'm buying !!!!!!....................................When i win lotto :-[

legsy11
14-08-2008, 09:26 PM

interesting maths/49 + $24000 for themotor alone puts you in the 70000's.maybe your missus was in the room.

rat_catcher
14-08-2008, 09:48 PM
interesting maths/49 + $24000 for themotor alone puts you in the 70000's.maybe your missus was in the room.
Maybe he traded the old engine in on the new one??