PDA

View Full Version : Replacing a Canopy

stingau
06-06-2008, 09:46 PM
Got 3 quotes to replace the top canopy on my 1/2 cabin, ranging in price from $330 to $800. The size is approx 1.5 x 1.6m so I was sitting here thinking.. a dangerous thing... when I came up with why not replace it with a solid f/glass canopy.

Did a bit of surfing and came up with gel coated flat f/glass sheets 2mm thick, screw down to a s/s frame exterior s/s angle to mount studs to attach sid clears and rear storm cover when required.

This sounds to easy and cheap...positives are a solid long term waterproof uv treated roof that wont fade at a cheaper price. .... neg is that it is pretty well permanant which really is a prob.

So can someone tell me what is wrong with my idea there has to be something

Also another plus is I can mount a rack to hold the kids kneeboards when freshwater skiing

Any advise before I go aead would be appreciated

bigtez
06-06-2008, 10:06 PM
Don't know why you would bother. Can get the same positives you listed from a decent soft canopy as well as a rack for your kneeboards without it being permanent.

stingau
06-06-2008, 10:17 PM
Why would I bother...... half the price saving between $200 and $600 depending upon which quote I accept. Also less maintainance

Roughasguts
06-06-2008, 10:28 PM
Got 3 quotes to replace the top canopy on my 1/2 cabin, ranging in price from $330 to $800. The size is approx 1.5 x 1.6m so I was sitting here thinking.. a dangerous thing... when I came up with why not replace it with a solid f/glass canopy.

Did a bit of surfing and came up with gel coated flat f/glass sheets 2mm thick, screw down to a s/s frame exterior s/s angle to mount studs to attach sid clears and rear storm cover when required.

This sounds to easy and cheap...positives are a solid long term waterproof uv treated roof that wont fade at a cheaper price. .... neg is that it is pretty well permanant which really is a prob.

So can someone tell me what is wrong with my idea there has to be something

Also another plus is I can mount a rack to hold the kids kneeboards when freshwater skiing

Any advise before I go aead would be appreciated

Cool Idea, but I wan't it for me new caravan, if you ever looked on the roof of those it's full of dings cracks and silicone sealant so glass would be far better for water proofing, better or hail damage as well.

So could you post up a link for me Cheers.

stingau
06-06-2008, 10:44 PM
This is not a premade commercial product was going to make it myself it is only s/s angle and tube with plates welded on the bottom to screw onto boat as far as the sheeting is concerned here is the link that got me started on this idea

http://www.alsynite.com/fibreglass_flatsheet.htm

All the products can be purchased from Bunnings

Cheech
07-06-2008, 11:19 AM
Got me thinking about it too.

Also, do you know if you can glass cut sections of it together? I need to build a live bait tank and would be a lot easier to make a box out of this stuff rather than making molds.

stingau
07-06-2008, 11:31 AM
Got me thinking about it too.

Also, do you know if you can glass cut sections of it together? I need to build a live bait tank and would be a lot easier to make a box out of this stuff rather than making molds.

Mate you can get uncoated sheets so I can't see why with a bit of roughing up that you couldn't glass join it. But best bet would be to ring their tech support

So so far cant see any downsides to my idea so maybe its time to start purchasing materials while its to wet to do anything else