PDA

View Full Version : Work Area Lighting

Out-Station
06-06-2008, 07:29 PM
G'day everyone, hope you are getting more time on the water than i'm getting at the moment.

Putting some general work area lighting in the boat this weekend. I see from various pics that allot of you are running full on spotlights mounted up high on the rocket launcher's. Does this placement work for you when you working over the bait board with shaddows etc given the lights would tend to be behind you.

I was thinking gunnel mounted LED lighting of floor and interior and then a removable flouro over the bait board for rigging, baiting etc but wanted to see what different ideas were.

any feedback good.

Cheers, Scott

stingau
06-06-2008, 07:56 PM
Scott I have LED's in strips in the gunnel's LED strip accross the half cabin and beside the bait board have a w/p cig lighter plug with cap which I plug in one of those flexable map lights.. you can stand above the light which isnt overly bright to maintain as much NV as possible and by day unplug and cap to use another nite

Seahorse
06-06-2008, 08:29 PM
i put rect spot light under rocket launcher.
fantastic. light up complete inside of boat. i got 489 stacer runabout.

rc@hinze
06-06-2008, 09:58 PM
Whitworths have fluro tube work lights. Mount these under the gunnels with PVC electrical saddles. Beuaty of them is that they are usually around $10 each. They give a great light for the floor/working area. If you go LED consider the RGB colour changing variety as you can select a colour that wont attrack bugs. I will be adding these next to my boat because sometimes the white light, like the fluros, are a beacon for the bugs. Obvioulsy the colour changing LED's are not cheap.

PinHead
07-06-2008, 05:27 AM
I have the anchor light mounted on the rocket launcher...it gives a gentle light in the cockpit area..good enough for general viewing but not very bright (like me). The other 2 light the place up like daylight..up high enough that there are very few shadows. I also have a couple of rechargeable LED lights I hang inside the covered area..they give off a good light for most applications.

tenzing
07-06-2008, 08:09 PM
I pulled the halogen bulbs out of the existing lights in the gunwales and replaced them with a 2 pin 12 LED bulb. Good light and much lower heat and 75% less juice. I use a removeable 12 V camping fluoro under the launcher which lights it up like a christmas tree. I have stuck it up with cable ties so you can rotate it fore and aft and take it out when necessary. I put a second 12v socket in for it to tidy up the cable run and allow the other socket for something else.
Cheers Brendan

Out-Station
07-06-2008, 08:17 PM
thanks everyone, reckon i'll go withe leds for general soft lighting. fit a socket under the t top and also down the back on the bait table for a moveable fluro job.

Marlin_Mike
07-06-2008, 08:31 PM
i bought three led's off ebay. lights up forward and rear decks and doesnt suck the life outta the batteries

Mike

BM
08-06-2008, 08:46 AM
Out Station, I just recently used the LED bar lights from Whitworths that are about $45 in a customers boat. The resultant light is not as good as using flouros under the gunwales. The LED's tend to be a bit to focused even though they have a difusing lens on them.

So for me flouros under the gunwales is the best option and then a movable flouro for the bait table area. You could also use red cellophane or similar over the tube covers in order to give you night vision friendly light.

Although some people have great difficulty working under red light, but you don't lose your night vision.

Head mounted LED spots are good for rigging (red lens of course).

Cheers

leezor
08-06-2008, 07:17 PM
Here are some pics of the lighting in my boat. I have around 60 LED's mounted under the gunnels and a spreader light mounted on the hardtop.

Wear the fox hat
08-06-2008, 09:34 PM
LED's are a more directional light & I found them very disappointing. Remember that normal fluoro's will interfere with your VHF reception. Last year I put put in 2 x double 8w fluoro's under the canopy that don't interfere with your VHF & they give a great all round light with no need for a light over the bait board or under gunwales. Cost about $40 each from Whitworths. Hope this helps.

WTFH

Hodad3230
09-06-2008, 06:31 AM
Gday fellas, not that it's relevant to you blokes with flash boats, but if any-one has a tinny with standard gunwales (not side-decks), I've found you can easily press fit $10 flouros into the ally gunwale extrusion and black-out the top half to keep the light directed down. A wad of silicone inside each end of the flouros will 'marinise' them. Mine have been going strong for a year and use bugger all juice from the battery.
Cheers Ian

BLOOEY
09-06-2008, 08:06 AM
I use only my anchor light in my boat and i even turn that off if i'm not rigging up. Too much light makes me feel queasy and destroys your night vision. Cannot see waves coming e.t.c. Ben

-spiro-
09-06-2008, 09:01 AM
leezor what sort of light is that one on your hard top? dose it suck your battery dry?

GAD
09-06-2008, 09:10 AM
I have replaced all the lights in the boats with LED'S , nav, bait board, deck lights and anchor well , but at superch--p I bought a led work ligh with 60 leds , it is plenty bright enough that at rest it is my all round white with more than enough light to fish, see into the water and rigg up , it was from memory, 40 bucks and a bit of sicaflex to water proof it mounted it in abit of pvc pipe with a bend to get it up above me, so impressed bought one for my car and another for the father .

Greg